Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cholent - Whats your secret ingredient?
Previous  1  2  3

yummy2

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 1:09 am
I saute an onion, then add garlic.
when nice and soft, I put in the meats; flanken, marrow bones, and cheeck meat.
I let that hang out a while, then I turn it over.
I then add the rinsed beans, ( I cook up a bag of chullent mix in a sep pot on a low flame.)
add water just to cover, I add salt, bit black pepper, paprika,bit onion powder,a bit garlic powder, a liitle ketchup, onion soup mix, and smoetimes a drop of honey.
mix well.
I put in sweet potatoes sometimes. it's realy sweet and yummy.
then before shabbos my husband adds 2 boiled eggs ( washes very well, since you have to put it in with the peel...)

Raizle

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 1:09 am
a little cinnamon

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 2:56 am
OOTBubby wrote:
A chunk of kishka crumbled into the cholent (up to as much as half of a 1 lb. kishka for a very large cholent). Adds flavor and texture.

I did it! I put in a whole thing of kishke and it was thee best chulent ive ever had! 5 stars!
I cant wait til next week to make more!!!

pina colada

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 3:06 am
I saute the meat (flanken) on both sides

then add soaked beans and saute for a little longer

then add:
barley
salt
paprika
garlic powder
black pepper
sometimes a little honey

before Shabbos I add the potato kugel wrapped in parchment paper and kishka

makes a for a very great cholent, our guests say so!

geemum

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 4:13 am
plenty of pearl barley >>> for texture
mustard >>> good colour and gives it a kick

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 12:13 pm
my sister was here for succos and she put in a can of vegetarian baked beans - Puke it certainly didn't help my cholent aversions ...

slushiemom

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 12:16 pm
fried onions

hello

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 12:17 pm
I sautee onions & garlic then add the meat & bones then the beans (boiled up), water & lots of spices spices: especially hickory smoked garlic "YUM" it gives that speacial touch to the chulent & sometimes I add duck sauce or ketchup.

I make my own kishka which adds its flavor to the chulent.

momofmultiples

Post Fri, Oct 23 2009, 3:53 pm
I would like to claim the title to the World's best Cholent

Chop up two onions and fry in oil until golden brown (not too much oil, just enough to use to brown the onions)

I use two pieces of Flanken on the bone and one piece of boneless flanken (cholent for 4 people)
4 cups of navy beans

Once the onions are a golden brown, add the flanken and continue to fry the flanken until it changes color on both sides. Add generous amounts of coarse garlic powder, then add 2 teaspoons of chicken soup powder, a generous pinch of paprika, a half a teaspoon of white pepper and a very generous squirt of ketchup. Add the beans and fill with water to cover at least 1 inch above the beans (if you need more water later on then add more wait 10 minutes and taste for flavour - you can then add more salt, garlic powder and ketchup as necessary)

ENJOY!

momof5

Post Fri, Oct 23 2009, 5:23 pm
I used to put Ketchup in my cholent. Then one day I had a discussion about cholent with my boss (he makes the cholent in his house). He said NO ketchup, try brown sugar. Everyone loved it!

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Oct 24 2009, 5:21 pm
I had a super killer cholent this week. Loads of sauteed onions (2 large, chopped) fried in the greenish oil from a jar of pkaila. Then a good tablespoon scoop of pkaila (fried spinach with garlic and onion that comes in a jar). Precooked beans in the pressure cooker, wheatberries soaked overnight. Then the whole packet of merguez, raw eggs in the shells, spiced it up with a bit of harissa. The whole thing had green tint but everyone really loved it. So glad there's not much leftover.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Oct 31 2009, 7:53 pm
I like:

with eggs, a la dafina
with breadcrumbs on the beans, a la cassoulet http://forum.wordreference.com.....58049
with a piece of chocolate, a la new cuisine

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 10:46 am
lipid31 wrote:
Anyone heard of adding beer?

Yup. I add beer. and grill spice. and barbecue sauce.

thekosherchannel

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 12:07 am
QITK cholent has one can of beer and always a bone.

Blue jay

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 12:16 am
Flowerpot wrote:
TUMS!

I surely need one after reading this thread.

I put in lots of fresh garlic crushed and fatty meats flanken, cheek meat... also 2-3 cups of chicken soup. paprika, black pepper n salt.

and a splash of pepto bismol. Gives it color LOL

willow

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 11:15 am
The only liquid is beer

medola

Post Fri, Feb 24 2012, 12:43 am
Last 2 shabbosim I did the beer - used DH's IPA. I'll try a stout next time after the Guinness suggestion. I couldn't taste the beer that much, but I still felt it made some sort of difference.

Also -
-Can of Bush's vegetarian baked beans or can of chili beans
- Potatoes (I love them, DH hate them)
- Red lentils
- carrots
- Quinua
- Sauteed onions then brown the stew meat in them
- Marrow BONES!
- Ketchup
- Honey
- Veggie kishka (when I happen to buy it)
- Veggie and/or chicken broth
- Spices: Cumin, paprika, garlic (minced cloves and powder), curry powder, seasoned salt, beef bullion cube, bay leaves, pepper, red pepper flaked, cayenne pepper... etc
- whole, shelled eggs

chani30

Post Fri, Feb 24 2012, 1:05 am
lately I put in 1 ingredient as a spice that is called "Cholent Spice" from shloimies kitchen (plus a little salt) my cholent is something special. as much as I make is never enough

SacN

Post Fri, Feb 24 2012, 12:38 pm
I love how old this thread is.

My cholent is pretty unique:
Brown Rice, garlic, onion, flanken, potato, zucchini, and lentils. And sometimes an open tomato, because I think it adds flavor. And salt.
DH likes when I put whole raw eggs in, so he can have hard boiled (IMO overcooked) eggs.

We eat this, bread (with hummus, of course), and salad for shabbos lunch every week. Smile

mosma

Post Fri, Feb 24 2012, 1:04 pm
I brown my meat and onions before I add in the rest, and I use ketchup and brown sugar instead of ketchup and honey. and bones--neck bones and marrow bones and sometimes knee bones.
I spice it with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, dried minced onions, and crushed red pepper. my cholent is AMAZING every week b"ah.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus