Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Spinoff - Large families thread
Previous  1  2  3  4

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 9:55 am
A child needs a quiet room to work! A parent there doesn't replace this.
I think it's for the child to write legibly (or not, and have consequences), to be careful.
If the child dawdles, it's also his business.
If the homework is not age appropriate I would complain, not give in and do it with him. Now, if it's the whole system like this, well I don't know what I would do...

It may be another thing I can't wrap my head around What

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 10:04 am
MamaBear wrote:
Maybe confirm with parents of older kid, Ruchel? Your daughter is 4? Second grade is when homework started needing some minimal parental involvement. At age 4 it was basically educational playtime with basic pre reading skills.

I really doubt the system has changed so much since I was there, and I have seen older children doing their homework alone, but I have friends with older kids and I'll ask if their school requires them to participate, to be sure.

My dd has homework since first year (3). I wouldn't have applied to a school where it was just play and tiny basics. I can do this at home lol.

MamaBear

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 10:06 am
lol indeed Rolling Eyes

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 10:26 am
To each their culture and to each their idea of what's needed. I wouldn't waste money on this, which is my right. Rolling Eyes

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 10:49 am
Ruchel wrote:
I think it's for the child to write legibly (or not, and have consequences), to be careful.
If the homework is not age appropriate I would complain, not give in and do it with him. Now, if it's the whole system like this, well I don't know what I would do...

You do realize that there are many children out there that do their homework at the dinning room table or the kitchen table as their rooms do not have a table/desk to do it there. They can still write legibly and all of that if they are not in their own room.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 10:51 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

You do realize that there are many children out there that do their homework at the dinning room table or the kitchen table as their rooms do not have a table/desk to do it there. They can still write legibly and all of that if they are not in their own room.

That's what I said Wink

Btw my dd does her homework in the living room (or on my bed lol). Her room is 10 square meters. With two beds and toys it is bursting!

imaima

Post Mon, Feb 27 2012, 6:18 am
Ruchel wrote:
MamaBear wrote:
Maybe confirm with parents of older kid, Ruchel? Your daughter is 4? Second grade is when homework started needing some minimal parental involvement. At age 4 it was basically educational playtime with basic pre reading skills.

I really doubt the system has changed so much since I was there, and I have seen older children doing their homework alone, but I have friends with older kids and I'll ask if their school requires them to participate, to be sure.

My dd has homework since first year (3). I wouldn't have applied to a school where it was just play and tiny basics. I can do this at home lol.

You might not realize it, but you just put down the whole profession of early childhood educator by saying that it is just about play and tiny basics that anyone can do. It is not as easy as that. Play is not an end in itself but a means to educate. Because I AM familiar with this field, I would run away from the school who give my child homework at the age of 3.

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Feb 27 2012, 6:49 am
imaima wrote:
I would run away from the school who give my child homework at the age of 3.

So would I. Maybe I would have been impressed by it many years ago, when my oldest was that age....but several children later, and a whole lot more experience, well, this is the last thing I would look for.

small bean

Post Mon, Feb 27 2012, 8:26 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
imaima wrote:

So would I. Maybe I would have been impressed by it many years ago, when my oldest was that age....but several children later, and a whole lot more experience, well, this is the last thing I would look for.
What grade do you think it's normal to start homework?

My dd in kindergarden has homework... I'm wondering if it's to young. (she has no problem doing it - and enjoys it... but it's easy stuff)

imaima

Post Mon, Feb 27 2012, 9:02 am
small bean wrote:
Tablepoetry wrote:
imaima wrote:

What grade do you think it's normal to start homework?

My dd in kindergarden has homework... I'm wondering if it's to young. (she has no problem doing it - and enjoys it... but it's easy stuff)

What kind of homework is that?
I can't really see the point of it at this stage. How much time does she spend at school? I think, if it's a long day, then all she needs to do at home is unwind and have a change of activity, with no pressure. I think, if there is any homework at this stage, then it should be offered, not demanded from the child. 3 y.o. (from Ruchel's example) - some kids still need a nap at this stage and a lot of their home time depends on whether they napped or not.
maybe I just can't picture what kind of homework you talk about...

paprika

Post Mon, Feb 27 2012, 9:25 am
chani8 wrote:
And also, don't stress about how good of a parent you are now, because when they grow up they'll probably only remember how lousy their mom was to them when they were teenagers. Teens get ugly and we get reactive and then all our hard work and recognition goes down the drain. So relax. Just do the minimum because they won't appreciate supermom anyway.

Kids may not remember every small act that their mothers do for them, but all these little deeds mold a kids personality. A hard working mother that tends to her kids needs, ends up with kids that feel secure, thereby building kids with self confidence. This self confidence takes them into adulthood.

Their confidence does get shaken in the teenage years, but I find that when I stand by passively while a teenager is tantruming, it passes safely.

A very important factor for a relaxed teenager is enough sleep.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 28 2012, 11:09 am
Homework doesnt have to prevent naps or be daily.
I would rather my dd have the level of the big kids of her school than the level of the kids of less "cheder style" schools. Some kids in this school have several older siblings who attended so the parents must be happy.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics