Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
How to make gefilte fish

Tiale

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 8:11 am
I really need something from start to finish; which fish, how to... Tnx!

Isramom8

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 8:18 am
I definitely have a recipe for the clueless in my Pesach file. Ask me later. Wink

Tiale

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 8:23 am
Tnx!

smss

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 6:00 am
unwrap and place in pan with a little water

sprinkle with paprika, pepper, and sugar

bake about 2 hrs

Tiale

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 3:09 am
Bump
I need to buy fresh fish and ....???
how do I prepare gefilte fish from scratch on pesach- no potato starch, sugar or oil...?
TIA!

gryp

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 4:53 am
Buy fresh fish (or cheat and buy fresh ground fish like I do Smile ) ----> Grind/process the fish ----> Knead the ground fish like dough for 10 or so minutes -----> add eggs, salt, and liquid sugar (depending on how much fish you have)

Boil up a giant pot of water with carrots, onion, and liquid sugar. Form fish balls and slide them in gently one at a time into the boiling water. They should sink and then surface again, like soup kneidlach do.

That's how I do it although there are many different methods. If you want, I can find my recipe and add in the amounts of eggs, sugar, and salt and how long to cook them for. When they're done, you'll probably know though.

Good luck! Don't do what I did, waited tons of fish in trial and error before I figured it all out. With a lot of help from the poster ra_mom, Benz's fish store, and my mil.

Also, if you have the Spice and Spirit Pesach cookbook, I found their measurements for eggs, sugar, and salt to be way off. I wouldn't go by their gefilte fish recipes.

newme

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 5:35 am
I make the following recipe every year - and because it is so delicious, I often make it during the year as well - even though it comes out a little pricey, due to the large amount of ground almonds/walnuts.
The following quantity makes approx 60 balls - I usually freeze them on trays and then transfer them to bags in batches of ten, so that this is enough for approx. ten Shabbos meals.

Ingredients:
2 Kg. Ground Kasif (this is in Hebrew not sure what the English equivalent is - I think a kind of whitefish)
1Kg. Ground Carp

1/2 – 1 Minced Onion (to taste)
4-5 Medium sized Eggs
1/2 Kg. Sugar (may add to taste)
500gr. Ground Almonds (OR 400gr Almonds Plus 100gr. Ground Walnuts or Hazelnuts)
Salt N Pepper to taste

Method:
Mix all ingredients.
Shape into logs using baking paper, or into individual balls using water to keep palms of hands moist.

Freeze laid out in rows on lined trays – then place in containers.

To Cook:
Boil 1/2 pot of water with sugar, salt and white pepper
Optional: Place 1 onion and 2 or 3 peeled carrots in the water for flavor. Celery stalks also add flavor.

When water has reached boiling point, add the frozen fish. Bring to a boil again with the lid half tilted.
Once water is boiling reduce the flame to a very low heat and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Cool and refrigerate. Serve at room temperature.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics