Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Low sodium meals?-high blood pressure- Help!

amother

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 10:45 am
someone in my family has high blood pressure, at a very young age. now I need to start cooking only low sodium meals.

Any ideas? I do not use a lot of salt as it is, but now I have to cut out a lot of the pre-made sauces and anything proccessed. This person is somewhat picky about vegis. raw vegis are ok but does not like stir fry's or those types of hot vegi dishes. we can not afford to eat a lot of meat.

I need ideas for weekdays and shabbos!

Thanks!

Pineapple

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 11:02 am
Make your own sauces IRS pretty easy
I have a bbq sauce recipie and a teriyaki sauce recipie (this has soy suace but they make lite with less salt)

sv9506

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 11:05 am
Not OP

Pineapple - could you post those recipes please, TIA.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 11:22 am
thanks pineapple. if you could post, that would be great. I do make my own salad dressings, but even the ingrediants to make my own sauces are not always low sodium.

I also want to add, that I am looking for meals that are filling more than just beans or eggs... I also send this person with a lunch during the day, so ideas for that would be good.

Pineapple

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 11:29 am
Teiyaki sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1/2 teas ginger
1/4 tea garlic powder
5 tb brown sugar
1-2 tb honey
Mix in sauce pan till hot then mix 2y0tb corn starch with 1/4 cup water add (I added in sesame seeds and poured over salmon and baked

Pineapple

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 11:34 am
Bbq sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
3 tb white vinegar
2 tb chopped onion (I've used minced dried onion)
1 tb worchestershire sauce (I leave it out - afaik they all have fish in it)
2 tea brown sugar
1/4 tea ground mustard
1 clove garlic finely chopped (frozen is great)

Heat all ing to boiling in 1 qt sauce pan over medium heat stiring constantly reduce heat simmer uncovred 10 min stirring occasionally

CatLady

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 11:45 am
Canned products such as beans, tomato products, etc. are all available in no-salt-added formulations. Same for canned tuna and salmon. There's no-salt-added ketchup as well, and spice blends that have no salt. Spend an afternoon label-reading, and you'll be surprised at how much good stuff is available! You will, however, have to kiss all canned and powdered soup mixes goodbye. Even the low-sodium versions were too high according to the guidelines I was given.

Basically, salt is an add-in, so it's easy to substitute flavourings such as lemon juice, garlic, balsamic vinegar, etc. When you make a stew, brown the meat and deglaze with wine. This will add real depth of flavour.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking