Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Help me make Shabbos please
Previous  1  2

RachaelLeah

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 12:42 pm
willow wrote:
Do you just rub it on his gums/teeth? How often he cries if I give him anything but carrots and yogurts so what do I do when he cries from it?

Yes, rub it on the gums that are sore. Test it on your own tongue first, to see how it feels, to feel how to apply it. Make sure to dilute it properly, you want it to be strong enough that it gives an initial small burn and then numbs the feeling, but not too strong that it burns too much. He will definitely cry when you first put it on and then he should relax and quiet down quickly as he feels the numbing effect.

You might need to go to a natural health type store to find it.

Such great stuff. Hatzlacha!

willow

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 1:03 pm
sunny90, sounds great what do you use for frosting?
I don't use margarine.
Also I defrosted a package of ground beef now don't want to make meat bourgeois anymore what should I do with it?

willow

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 1:06 pm
Anyone used Yummydd's Pastrami Hushpuppies a/k/a Pastrami Muffins recipe?
Sounds fun and yummy Please let me know

imaima

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 1:45 pm
willow wrote:
I don't use margarine.
Also I defrosted a package of ground beef now don't want to make meat bourgeois anymore what should I do with it?

Make a meatloaf?

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-meatloaf/

sunny90

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 2:29 pm
willow wrote:
I don't use margarine.

My mother (or sister) makes a chocolate glaze which is really nice (and no margarine):

Chocolate Glaze
1 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 cup canola oil
1/8 cup chocolate liquor or
1/4cup of oil
Hot water

Mix all ingredients except the water
Add hot water by tablespoons until you get the consistency that you want.

I like using chocolate ganache. 8 oz Rich's whip, 8 oz chocolate, melt together and spread.

And regarding the meat, why not do sweet n sour meatballs over rice as an appetizer? Not difficult and you only need cranberry sauce and marinara sauce.

Last edited by sunny90 on Thu, Mar 01 2012, 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

sunny90

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 2:30 pm
willow wrote:

It definitely sounds great but seems a bit patchkery. Also do you have fleishig muffin tins?

eschaya

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 2:58 pm
OP: as someone who doesn't like to spend time in the kitchen, here is how a typical Shabbos meal with me might run..

- challah: buy

- fish: defrost a loaf of gefilte fish, put it in a loaf pan, sprinkle with spices and drizzle with honey. Bake fist covered then uncovered.
alternatively, put a fillet of salmon in a bag with some wine, brown sugar, garlic, soy sauce (or any other yummy stuff you have in the house). A few hours later, bake it uncovered.

- soup: sometimes I have dh make a cholent in the crockpot and we eat it Friday night... it more like a stew than cholent. Like other posters noted, chicken soup is real easy to make since you don't need to chop any of the vegis. Just throw in a chicken, carrots, zucchini, onion, sweet potato, garlic, and cook.

- chicken (+ side): bake chicken with either rice, or on top of root vegis (potato, sweet potato, onion, carrot, etc). Spice, and bake. Alternatively, for a sweet option, crush snacker crackers in a bag, wet chicken in water and coat in cracker crumbs, drizzle honey on top. Bake.

- vegi: you can buy steam in the bag vegis at almost any supermarket. Stick a bag of green beans or snap peas in the microwave. You can make a quick sauce/drizzle to add pizzaz (ie: mayo, balsamic vinegar, mustart, maple syrup, garlic... just put in a container and shake).

- salads/dips: I do lots of fresh salads since they don't require work on erev shabbos. People always comment on the large array of salads and find it exciting. Here are a few...
1- raw snap peas, sesame oil, salt, sesame sees
2- cut cherry tomatoes in half, chop scallions, light olive oil, salt
3 - cucumbers, pickles, baby carrots thinly sliced. no dressing necessary
4 - avodacos mashed, chopped tomatoes and onions, chile powder, lemon juice
5 - cabbage, sugar, vinegar oil, assortment of nuts and seeds
6 - shredded carrots (from store-bought bag), raisins, lowfat mayo, sugar lemon juice, nuts
7 - etc... basically, make it up based on waht you have in the house

dessert: healthy, fancy, and delicious... cut up whatever fruit is in seaon (apples, peaches, blueberries, strawberries), and add a tiny bit of sugar only if the fruit is tart. put in low pan or individual ramekins if you want to be fancy. Make fat free crumb topping: 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 t baking powder, 1/4 t salt, 1 egg. crumble on top of fruit, spray with nonstick spray, bake.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 5:26 pm
willow wrote:
The idea of the muffins are great, but that specific recipe is not so special.
I would make them again using less seltzer, a different sauce, etc.

sunny90

Post Fri, Mar 02 2012, 9:41 am
Willow, please let us know what you made in the end! I'm curious Tongue Out

willow

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 10:50 am
You know I thought my ego was going to suffer a lot from being simple. But it was the opposite. B'h I am so relieved.
I bought Challah,Hummus, Matbucha, and beet salad.
I made little salad bowls from wonton wrappers and served
a fine couscous, avocado, smoked tuna, scallion, maple glazed craisens and cilantro salad I made. (very pretty)
I made a hot pepper dip with balsamic dressing.
With fresh salad on the plates and Ra-mom Dijon dressing.
I made carrot ginger and zucchini soup with homemade beet and sweet potato chips (we used them as croutons).
celestial chicken idea was great!
Small roasted cubed potatoes
Roasted veggies
Blanched fresh and crispy green beans
For dessert I made biscotti, apple turnovers, and Disappearing marshmallow cookies

For the day I added store bought (I threw them in the oven with spicy and sweet duck sauce) bourekas
That was it. We repeated leftovers for SS.
Thank you again for your needed encouragement and ideas. It made Shabbos so much easier.
YOu were all right my baby was much happy and best of all I was happier.

sunny90

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 10:59 am
It all sounds very fancy and delicious, kol hakavod!
Hope your baby feels better soon...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus