Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Help with a detective theme.

Post Mon, Mar 05 2012, 8:11 pm
I have a young friend who is 12. She is needs some ideas for Purim. She wants to dress up as a detective. She has this idea of making lollipops to look like magnifying glasses.

She also wants to stamp envelopes "top secret" to use as her container for MM.

She can use the following help:

Where can she get a round lollipop mold in Monsey? Rockland Kosher does not have.

Any other ideas for food which would be great for a detective?

Any idea how to make a clear or whitish lollipop? A recipe would be helpful.

Where can she get these envelopes made up? My printer would not print manilla envelopes. She thinks white stickers saying Top Secret are neeby.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. She is really a very fine young lady.

Thank you.

shanie5

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 6:59 am
Ingredients

3 3/4 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
1 cup water
1 tablespoon orange, or other flavored extract
1/2 teaspoon food coloring (optional)
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar for dusting

Directions

In a medium saucepan, stir together the white sugar, corn syrup, and water. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to a boil. Without stirring, heat to 300 to 310 degrees F (149 to 154 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms hard, brittle threads.
Remove from heat and stir in flavored extract and food coloring, if desired. Pour onto a greased cookie sheet, and dust the top with confectioners' sugar. Let cool, and break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.

I took this from allrecipes.com. I have made candy before. If you leave out the food coloring it is clear in color. If you find a mold, spray it well with pam or line with wax paper. Molds may be found in craft stores like michaels or a.c. moore.

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 7:19 am
Thank you very much.

I will forward immediately.

shanie5

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 7:56 am
My pleasure!

crl

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 8:12 am
Maybe some sort of candy sugar can be fingerprint powder. You can do "mystery" candy, or jelly beans or anything that you don't know what's in it. Also, you can package any food in a second wrapper and mark that wrapper "Classified" or "Evidence".

And even if it's not food, you can include a mask that you get from a dollar store, or Groucho glasses that you can get at 5 Below for a "disguise".

You can write the poem in code (include the key) -- maybe in "Atbash" English, which is pretty straightforward.

You can try Kinkos/Fedex or Staples to see if they'll do printed manila envelopes. Staples has on their website, but the minimum is 500 - http://print.staples.com/categ.....=6021

However, I'm sure it doesn't hurt to ask if they'll do a short run of 10, it just may cost between 1-3 dollars per envelope.

Also, in case it's too expensive to print envelopes, you can either get actual stamped letters at a craft store, or you can print a full piece of paper in similar size to the envelope and use double sided tape to stick it on top.

Post Wed, Mar 07 2012, 10:32 am
crl wrote:
Maybe some sort of candy sugar can be fingerprint powder. You can do "mystery" candy, or jelly beans or anything that you don't know what's in it. Also, you can package any food in a second wrapper and mark that wrapper "Classified" or "Evidence".

And even if it's not food, you can include a mask that you get from a dollar store, or Groucho glasses that you can get at 5 Below for a "disguise".

You can write the poem in code (include the key) -- maybe in "Atbash" English, which is pretty straightforward.

You can try Kinkos/Fedex or Staples to see if they'll do printed manila envelopes. Staples has on their website, but the minimum is 500 - http://print.staples.com/categ.....=6021

However, I'm sure it doesn't hurt to ask if they'll do a short run of 10, it just may cost between 1-3 dollars per envelope.

Also, in case it's too expensive to print envelopes, you can either get actual stamped letters at a craft store, or you can print a full piece of paper in similar size to the envelope and use double sided tape to stick it on top.

Thanks so much for these ideas. She s running with them right now!

amother

Post Wed, Jan 23 2013, 8:02 pm
Any more ideas?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics