Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hard stools

amother

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 9:55 pm
My one year old dd has been pushing very hard lately and her stools are hard as a rock.
Her tush gets so red from pushing it out - yesterday I think I even saw some blood. I put tons of cream. She made more since then (no blood, thank Gd) and today she had a mixed bowel movement of liquidy-ish and a hard one all in the same diaper.
She is on cows milk and a pretty regular diet, and I breastfeed twice a day too.
Is rock hard bad? I feel bad just because she struggles to push it out....it hurts her.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 8:33 am
Try giving her prunes or prune juice

sweetnsalty

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 2:57 pm
try giving her an over the counter stool softener (they make a powder for kids that disolves in juice) and make sure shes drinking lots of water

amother

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 3:25 pm
Thanks - she hated prune juice when I tried it. I tried applesauce she wouldnt eat more than a bite. Bananas she liked though but I think they are known to be constipating...
She doesnt drink water ever. Its breastmilk then a milk bottle then another milk bottle then breastmilk then a milk bottle as her liquids for the day.
Could that be why perhaps?

bnm

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 3:49 pm
pears
miralax
sugar water

amother

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 4:11 pm
oh she loves sugar water...I used that before (brown sugar in water is what I did) and she gobbled that up!

sarachana

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 4:40 pm
amother wrote:
oh she loves sugar water...I used that before (brown sugar in water is what I did) and she gobbled that up!

I would NOT do sugar water...that will feed the stools...the bad bacteria and make it worse... I would give Orange juice warmed mixed with a pinch of sea salt and give it to her several times...and water down the juice so its not too sweet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics