Home

Search My Heart - Sarah Birnhack
1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Reading Room

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


enter









  
Post Posted: Mon, Mar 12 2012, 4:53 pm       Post subject: Search My Heart - Sarah Birnhack
Have you read this book? It's written about 30 {edited!} years ago, using the idea of Yosele Schumacher, and making a novel out of it..

I was frustrated when I finished the book, at how the author conveyed such a story. I question at how such a story doesn't make a chillul hashem, aside for the fact that I'm wondering what the point of the story was all about..
I haven't picked up a Jewish novel for a while, and was frustrated that this was the story of the one I did pick up Wink

Maybe some others have got some more positive views!! That's just my vent Wink


Last edited by enter on Mon, Mar 12 2012, 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

Raisin









  
Post Posted: Mon, Mar 12 2012, 4:59 pm       Post subject: re: Search My Heart - Sarah Birnhack
its much older then 10 years old. Written probably in the 80s or early 90s.

Excellent book, but fiction. One of my favourite frum books. Sarah Birnhack is an excellent writer. Yes, its loosely based on the Yossele story, but loosely. Even when it was written, it was a while after this story happened, which afaik was widely publicised in the news. I doubt very many secular readers read this book.

If you are interested, family secrets is the follow up to search my heart.
Back to top

Mama Bear









  
Post Posted: Mon, Mar 12 2012, 6:00 pm       Post subject: re: Search My Heart - Sarah Birnhack
It's about 30 years old!
_________________
http://www.autism-parenting.com
Back to top

myself









  
Post Posted: Mon, Mar 12 2012, 6:00 pm       Post subject: re: Search My Heart - Sarah Birnhack
This title made me smile. My mother bought this book when I was very little and although I no longer remember what this book was about it brought up some memories. Perhaps I'll ask her to lend it to me.
Back to top

PinkFridge









  
Post Posted: Mon, Mar 12 2012, 7:00 pm       Post subject: Re: re: Search My Heart - Sarah Birnhack
Mama Bear wrote:
It's about 30 years old!


Hey, hibernation's over? Wink
_________________
"Even if I never reach Eretz Yisroel, and die here in Russia, just the dream alone of going there makes it worth it to be born" - Yosef Begun, The Underground

"We don't need easier ways of hurting our fellow Jews" - Sequoia
Back to top

Isramom8









  
Post Posted: Mon, Mar 12 2012, 7:10 pm       Post subject: re: Search My Heart - Sarah Birnhack
I think I read it in 1986; it was pretty new. Loved loved loved. Cried through the second half nonstop. So emotional! Even the horrible parts were beautiful, in their depth.
Back to top

Mama Bear









  
Post Posted: Mon, Mar 12 2012, 7:26 pm       Post subject: re: Search My Heart - Sarah Birnhack
OP, there were very few Jewish authors /books in those days. The standards were different.

I remember also being very bothered by the book at the time. When I finally read the sequel I was even more bothered. I sent Sarah a list of questions about the book and her response was that life isn't always fair and not every story has a happy ending.
Back to top

sped









  
Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 1:42 am       Post subject: re: Search My Heart - Sarah Birnhack
This is a really well written book, with out a completely happy ending. That's real life. There is a real attempt at character development, which means that the people aren't black or white - tzaddikim or reshaim, but a combination, lik emost of us are. She got a lot of flack for this, I understand, and switched to writing more typical Jewish novels....
Chaval.
Back to top

smilethere









  
Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 5:07 am       Post subject: re: Search My Heart - Sarah Birnhack
I was only born in 1986 but I absolutely loved this book.

Family secrets was even better though. I've read it at least 100 times and sob every time whilst reading it.
_________________
Unfortunately, my daydreams about being skinny are always being interrrupted by the sound of my own chewing.
Back to top

intrigued









  
Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 5:11 am       Post subject: re: Search My Heart - Sarah Birnhack
One of my favourite Jewish novels growing up. I loved family secrets better and must have read it 10 times over the years, as this one really bothered me too as a kid so I read it less. I had issues with the plot but thats what good books are. Life isn't fair and instead of trying top be a happy predictable Jewish book it is actually good!

Has she written any other novels?
Back to top

Raisin









  
Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 5:17 am       Post subject: Re: re: Search My Heart - Sarah Birnhack
Mama Bear wrote:
OP, there were very few Jewish authors /books in those days. The standards were different.

I remember also being very bothered by the book at the time. When I finally read the sequel I was even more bothered. I sent Sarah a list of questions about the book and her response was that life isn't always fair and not every story has a happy ending.


MB, the standards were BETTER then. I haven't read any frum book written later then about 1995 that is as good as this. Although, some of the frum books/series published in mishpacha etc seem to make a fair attempt at writing about real people and their problems. Alas not all of them are very well written.

I think I know search my heart by heart. And family secrets almost by heart. Too bad, becasue I'd enjoy rereading them.
Back to top

intrigued









  
Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 5:26 am       Post subject: re: Search My Heart - Sarah Birnhack
Just reading this thread is bringing the nostalgia of the time I enjoyed a good read! Whats out there now that is on par with this? I don't have too much time to read so am not looking to waste my time!

I have been out of the Jewish Novels for at least 5 years! Is there anything worth reading?
Back to top

Raisin









  
Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 5:30 am       Post subject: Re: re: Search My Heart - Sarah Birnhack
intrigued wrote:
Just reading this thread is bringing the nostalgia of the time I enjoyed a good read! Whats out there now that is on par with this? I don't have too much time to read so am not looking to waste my time!

I have been out of the Jewish Novels for at least 5 years! Is there anything worth reading?


anything by rachel pomerantz.

I enjoyed hearts of gold 1 and 2.

I recently read a book called green fences that was tolerable. Not great, but a similar genre to the others.

there are some other ok books, a lot translated from hebrew alas. I hate translations, and especially bad translations, as these are. Usually there is some sort of far fetched plot - eg twins seperated at birth type of thing. Rolling Eyes
Back to top

Raisin









  
Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 5:32 am       Post subject: re: Search My Heart - Sarah Birnhack
tova mirvis's books are good. Not published by a frum publisher, but could (almost) be, totally worth a read.
Back to top

intrigued









  
Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 5:44 am       Post subject: Re: re: Search My Heart - Sarah Birnhack
Raisin wrote:
intrigued wrote:
Just reading this thread is bringing the nostalgia of the time I enjoyed a good read! Whats out there now that is on par with this? I don't have too much time to read so am not looking to waste my time!

I have been out of the Jewish Novels for at least 5 years! Is there anything worth reading?


anything by rachel pomerantz.

I enjoyed hearts of gold 1 and 2.

I recently read a book called green fences that was tolerable. Not great, but a similar genre to the others.

there are some other ok books, a lot translated from hebrew alas. I hate translations, and especially bad translations, as these are. Usually there is some sort of far fetched plot - eg twins seperated at birth type of thing. Rolling Eyes


Have read all Rachel P books not crazy about them. I agree with that about Green Fences. And agree about the Israeli ones The double Life of Chani Greenberg is a perfect example.

Who is this Tove M and where can I get hold of her books. Whats the style like?
Back to top

sped









  
Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 5:46 am       Post subject: re: Search My Heart - Sarah Birnhack
Sun Inside Rain, I think, is the last really good Jewish novel I read.
Back to top

sped









  
Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 5:46 am       Post subject: re: Search My Heart - Sarah Birnhack
Sun Inside Rain, I think, is the last really good Jewish novel I read.
Back to top

intrigued









  
Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 5:50 am       Post subject: Re: re: Search My Heart - Sarah Birnhack
sped wrote:
Sun Inside Rain, I think, is the last really good Jewish novel I read.


I keep on hearing this suggestion! I read it so long ago and don't remember it so well I think I am going to reread it. From my memory it was a typical Jewish novel in the sense that the hero became Jewish and married and lived happily ever after. Other than that it was very different and spoke about a world you don't usually read about in Jewish books so maybe thats why people are crazy about it?
Back to top

Tova









  
Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 7:03 am       Post subject: re: Search My Heart - Sarah Birnhack
There is a world of difference between Rachel Pomerantz' books of old (Wildflowers, Time to Rend-Time to Sew, As Mountains Around Jerusalem) and the newer ones - it's like a new author. I wonder why her style changed.

I liked Full Circle - by Gila Diamond I think (a pen name).
Back to top

merelyme









  
Post Posted: Tue, Mar 13 2012, 7:17 am       Post subject: Re: re: Search My Heart - Sarah Birnhack
intrigued wrote:
sped wrote:
Sun Inside Rain, I think, is the last really good Jewish novel I read.


I keep on hearing this suggestion! I read it so long ago and don't remember it so well I think I am going to reread it. From my memory it was a typical Jewish novel in the sense that the hero became Jewish and married and lived happily ever after. Other than that it was very different and spoke about a world you don't usually read about in Jewish books so maybe thats why people are crazy about it?


The writing was very, very good and the author spoke about a world that she knew.
Back to top
View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Reading Room
Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Similar Topics Replies Last Post
No new posts Words to Hear with Your Heart by Sarah Karmely 3 Sat, Nov 17 2007, 11:06 pm View latest post
No new posts Sarah Naomi bas Rochel Miriam -- Heart Transplant 10 yo 13 Yesterday at 9:23 pm View latest post
No new posts Tehillim for Sarah Chavah bas Sarah
by zb99m
4 Tue, Oct 26 2010, 5:47 am View latest post
No new posts 3 mo baby- heart stopped working mid open heart surgery!
by amother
42 Thu, Dec 22 2011, 10:09 pm View latest post
No new posts Do you Soul Search? Does your movement soul search? 23 Tue, May 19 2009, 1:52 am View latest post


Jump to:  



Report offensive ad