Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
HORRIBLE cradle cap - help! (gross)
Previous  1  2

bigprincess

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 4:40 pm
songbird wrote:
Mustela makes an AMAZING cream for cradle cap...I had to use it ONCE on DS and then passed it on to a friend ...

I use mustela too. I used baby oil to comb it out first but didn't like the mess.

LibaB

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 5:18 pm
For my kids I put vegetable or olive oil on thir heads for about 10 minutes before the bath. Then I use a soft toothbrush to rub their heads. I found that it worked super well.

SplitPea

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 5:32 pm
chani8 wrote:
mommyofboys wrote:
6coop wrote:
A pediatrician once told me to use Head and Shoulders (just be very careful that it doesn't get into the baby's eyes). My current baby had awful cradle cap and I rubbed his hair with head and shoulders and a washcloth then combed his hair with a lice comb. It was gone in a week. It came back again a few weeks later so I just did the same thing again and it went right away.

This!

Exactly. If it is really bad, do it in gentle stages, like twice a day, over a few days.

This is amazing advice! our ped also has us do it to her eyebrows really carefully when they get ikky

mfb

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 5:40 pm
MiniMom wrote:
My dd was born with cradle cap too & when I asked the dr what I cud do about it he laughed & said there's nothing to do... Sad & that I shud b happy that there's hair covering it.. He also said it typically lasts about 3 yrs! She's 16 mths & still has it. Hers look like oatmeal stuck on her head.. & when combed, I find it getting much worse.. I once had this habit of peeing it off (doesn't hurt her) but I then saw that it grew back so I stopped wasting my time.. I use reg Johnson's baby shampoo, is that bad?

try switching to a different baby shampoo. at one point when my first child had it I spoke to a lot of people and all of them that had complaints about cradle cap were using johnsons shampoo. since then ive never used it and dont have cradle cap problems for the next few kids

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 6:02 pm
Cradle cap is caused by seborrhea. My daughter had seborrhea in her creases and ended up needing to use a steroid cream to get rid of it since it was getting infected with strep bacteria. She also has cradle cap, but because it's not moist there, it results in the dry scales.
Not all cradle cap is fungal in nature, and therefore anti fungal remedies won't really help.
I consider it a nuisance more than anything else. She's not my first baby with it, and really I just don't bother doing much....she'll grow out of it.

shlomitsmum

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 6:36 pm
LibaB wrote:
For my kids I put vegetable or olive oil on thir heads for about 10 minutes before the bath. Then I use a soft toothbrush to rub their heads. I found that it worked super well.

My oldest had CC we used to put olive oil at night comb with the baby toothbrush and wash her hair in the morning , it worked great and was gone by 7 months .

me

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 11:07 pm
I only have had one baby with it B'H but it went down to his eyebrows. I also got rid of it pretty fast. My doc. said to use medicated dandruff shampoo and then comb it out gently with a fine tooth comb. I have NEVER put oil in of any sort and never a hat on top (ew!). I don't see how that can help. I also give my babies baths almost every day and I think that helps hugely. I comb it out right after. I know there are different methods, but this seems to be the newer one and it helped so fast. I also don't use baby shampoo's on my kids for long. It doesn't mean that it is better for the hair, just that it won't hurt their eyes. My kids do have eczema though as they get older and I am not sure how to get rid of that since it is not food based (they were tested). But I was told two opinions - 1 to bathe more frequently and 2 to bathe less frequently.

me

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 11:07 pm
I only have had one baby with it B'H but it went down to his eyebrows. I also got rid of it pretty fast. My doc. said to use medicated dandruff shampoo and then comb it out gently with a fine tooth comb. I have NEVER put oil in of any sort and never a hat on top (ew!). I don't see how that can help. I also give my babies baths almost every day and I think that helps hugely. I comb it out right after. I know there are different methods, but this seems to be the newer one and it helped so fast. I also don't use baby shampoo's on my kids for long. It doesn't mean that it is better for the hair, just that it won't hurt their eyes. My kids do have eczema though as they get older and I am not sure how to get rid of that since it is not food based (they were tested). But I was told two opinions - 1 to bathe more frequently and 2 to bathe less frequently.

chizuk

Post Thu, Mar 15 2012, 3:11 am
baby oil overnight then shampoo scalp and yes a lice comb very gently only after scalp soaked all night it comes right off
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics