Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
How would you describe your Relationship with Hashem?

AweSumThenSum

Post Fri, Dec 17 2004, 1:49 pm
how would u describe ur relationship w/ Hashem? father/child; mentor/student; king/servant, etc...
do u feel Hashem's presence in everything you do? how do u acknowledge His presence in ur life on a daily basis (NOT davening, etc...)?

Rochel Leah

Post Sat, Dec 18 2004, 11:47 pm
I am not such a spiritual person, but I try look at my life as somethign given to me by Hashem and He's running it. My husband is very positive thinker...Anytime I complain about the weather, my job, the baby being difficult, parnassah etc...he alwyas tell me count your brachos , you have a healthy baby etc.... I have tried to adopt that thinking that Hashem is the provider and we don't know what he has in sstore for us.

What made me think more , last week, I had a hard day, the baby was extremly kwetchy, I had a disagreement with my husband, wasnt feeling well..I felt like hashem want on my side that day.The next day on the bus to work I saw a lady who had one leg..I said to myself..."B'h I have two feet, I dont know how I can manage with only one leg ..hashem is telling me I should be thankful for what I have."

Motek

Post Sun, Dec 19 2004, 7:59 am
I can't think of a way to describe my relationship, even though Tanach and the Siddur have so many descriptions (besides the ones you mentioned there's shepherd-sheep, lovers, husband-wife). It's just Hashem ...

I feel Hashem's presence more now, than I used to.

How do I acknowledge His presence? by talking to Him when not formally davening (there's another thread on that), by thinking about Hashgacha Pratis, when having bitachon.

AweSumThenSum

Post Sun, Dec 19 2004, 8:54 am
it's interesting for me to note that the older I get, the more I feel and acknowledge His presence to myself. when I was younger and diced an onion w/o cutting myself, it was no big deal. but today when the onion is safely ensconced in the pot and I didn't donate blood to the cause, my first reaction is "boruch Hashem". when I make a traffic light I thought I was gonna miss, it's "boruch Hashem", a reaction I didn't have severalyears ago. along with feeling His presence and how good He is to me, I also have feelings of "katanti mikol hachasadim", I really am not worthy of all the good He does for me. does a/o else feel this way?

Tefila

Post Sun, Dec 19 2004, 10:00 am
It is not for nought when they say wisdom comes with age and with lifes experiances etc... some grow wiser faster then others agreed Smile But I do definatley feel a much much stronger Kesher with the Aibishter then say when was younger. I always spoke to Hashem from age 5yr on I can remember haveing real passionate pleas and talks to Him. But now I am starting to understand His master plan a bit more. Yes I can say Hashem I love you , but at the same time ask or be upset why He did something.
And incase you were wondering Smile no I am not yet the holy roller I should be, but I know Hashem also forgives. This is the connection I feel with Him and I hope the feelings I have can also be put into practice ..... always.
Something else to strive for!!!!

amother

Post Sun, Dec 19 2004, 8:42 pm
actually when I was young. I had such pure emunah in Hashem and would talk to him daily. I would write letters to him then rip them up and throw them in the wind in the forest to give them to him, I think I sort of expected a hand to reach out and catch the peices. Rolling Eyes
I had a special outfit that I saved for when moshiach would come. and I hardly wore it. I was saving it. until it got too small. I think children have undiluted emunah, and the connection can be so strong. I would make deals with Hashem that if He would make something happen for my family I would give Tzedaka for example. and it happened and I did. my parents were really impressed when they saw me taking out my money to give. I didnt want to tell them but they asked. I wonder what they thought.I still wonder if my pure tefila caused this good thing to happen for us so quickly after I davened. now that I am older and more mature in the world I find that its much harder to have pure faith. its hard to truly beleive Moshiach will come today when you've been thinking that for the past 15 years. and nothing has come. you see more of the badness in the world. I still talk to Hashem and daven and B"H I can say that I have everything I need and want. but its harder to keep that close connection alive and strong every minute when you are soooo busy with a million mundane things.
yes I thank Hashem for letting me find a parking spot, or making it into the store without the kids screaming on the way, or not cutting myself, or simply for not having a headache that day and feeling good. but its not as often as it used to be before I was married and thats sad isnt it? I wish it was the same but Hashem knows where we are in life. He understands that I'm busy and overwhelmed and too tired to think much at all about spirituality. so I feel comfortable with my relationship with Him. I suppose its like a father and daughter. I love Him and do the best I can to do things right to make Him happy, and I trust that He does the same for me. and He does take care of me. I feel it. B"H even the things that I thought were bad inmy life I understand how they were for the best. and so the times I dont see it clearly, I trust Him. He knows what He's doing.

miriam

Post Sun, Dec 19 2004, 10:41 pm
[quote="amother"]actually when I was young. I had such pure emunah in Hashem and would talk to him daily. I would write letters to him then rip them up and throw them in the wind in the forest to give them to him, I think I sort of expected a hand to reach out and catch the peices. Rolling Eyes
I had a special outfit that I saved for when moshiach would come. and I hardly wore it. I was saving it. until it got too small.[quote]

I think this is really beautiful. And very inspiring.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 2:47 pm
Rochel Leah wrote:
The next day on the bus to work I saw a lady who had one leg..I said to myself..."B'h I have two feet, I dont know how I can manage with only one leg ..hashem is telling me I should be thankful for what I have."

A little off the thread topic:

Quote I heard:
"I had the blues, cuz I had no shoes, until I met upon the street, a man who had no feet."

b"H I pride myself on my positive outlook in life- it helps you get thru EVERTYHING!! there's always someone out there who's worse off than you.

AweSumThenSum

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 3:17 pm
that may be true, but that still doesnt solve ur problems. it may help to keep them in perspective, but other people having it worse does not make you have it better in reality.

proudmom

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 1:04 pm
To the first amother you wrote up a wonderful thing. It was a very inspiring thing you wrote up. I really enjoyed what you wrote.

I consider my relationsship with Hashem as a father child relationship. Hashem is always there to listen to you no matter what. Even though things dont seem right, right now but in the long run you will understand it.

A few years ago I was teaching a girl about judiasm and one of the questions she asked me why does hashem make the good people suffer? I told her I will get back to you on the answer so I went to my mashpia and asked her and this is what she told me. The entire world is like a big puzzle. You can only see parts of the puzzle but Hashem can see the entire puzzle.

The same way you trust your parents in what they are doing I trust in Hashem that whatever he did or will do is for the good. Because Hashem knows best

Tefila

Post Sun, Dec 26 2004, 6:14 pm
Ladies I didn't know where to put this but I was playing with the computer when I should be packing, and came across this site done by Belz and Sanzer chassidim beautifully done Stories, music, Divrei Torah You will feel you are in their community etc Check it out !!http://www.torahvideo.com/stories/

amother

Post Wed, Oct 25 2006, 12:39 pm
Can anyone relate to feeling so dissatisfied with how they relate to H-shem? I feel like I just speak to Him with a laundry list of requests for my family & myself. I don't focus on praising Him or appreciating what He has given us. I think, "You are H-shem--you could give everything good all the time." I do believe everyting H-shem does is for the good but sometimes the "good" is very painful and I don't want that of course.
I am sure learning and working on the proper perspective to davening would help but this is just where I am now.

S.Shcwartz

Post Wed, Oct 25 2006, 1:46 pm
I know what you're feeling. Today I serve Hashem with love, wasn't always taht way. I worked on it real hard. the best way to achieve that is to picture Hashem right next to you not in who knows where. Picture him, feel him and you'll find him. Talk to him, even in your mind alll the time. If you're running late for the bus, talk to him, ask him to make u catch it. or if you're looking for a specific hat for your kid, tell him that it means alot to you and u want it in this color and this size. Nothing is behind His reach. Talk to him as if he's your mother. How much do u love your children? Compare that.. good luck.

Esther01

Post Wed, Oct 25 2006, 1:52 pm
S.Shcwartz wrote:
I know what you're feeling. Today I serve Hashem with love, wasn't always taht way. I worked on it real hard. the best way to achieve that is to picture Hashem right next to you not in who knows where. Picture him, feel him and you'll find him. Talk to him, even in your mind alll the time. If you're running late for the bus, talk to him, ask him to make u catch it. or if you're looking for a specific hat for your kid, tell him that it means alot to you and u want it in this color and this size. Nothing is behind His reach. Talk to him as if he's your mother. How much do u love your children? Compare that.. good luck.

I would suggest to talk to Hashem not only when you are looking for something and can't find it, or running late for a bus. but rather when you tuck your kid in bed at night, tell Hashem thank you for giving me this special gift, or when your day goes well remeber to thank Hashem for making everything work out.

I heard (I think from R' Avigdor Miller's tape) that when a person says "Modim anachnu loch" in shemoneh esrei, he should think on one mondain thing to thank Hashem for, and every day it should be something else... it makes you realize that Hashem loves you, and hopefully you become grateful for that and learn to love Hashem too.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Wed, Oct 25 2006, 11:48 pm
I voted for "e" although it didn't describe me exactly.. none of these choices describes me..

I have an even bigger problem..
sadly I don't have a connection at all.

It's not because I don't believe in him, bec. I do.
It's not bec. Im unhappy with my life.

I just don't have the patience to daven.
I barely say Birchas Hashachar in the morning
I just started trying to say it every day.

Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah I don't like going to shul.. (there are other reasons for that too)

but it's not only that I dont daven and praise..
I also don't ask him for a/thing..
And then I wonder why I suffer???

I just can't bring myself to daven and say tehillim..

It's like I don't care..

amother

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 11:29 am
In my younger years I felt much more idealistic and close to H-shem. I am worn out emotionally and it impacts how I reach out to Him. Also, my husband has seemed to grow more ruchnius wise--he learns every night and is in shule davening so that is all strengthening. I think women have to work so much harder even though we are supposed to be more spiritually attuned. Sometimes I resent my husband and could subconsciously be aligning that with resentment to H-shem

Motek

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 3:00 pm
SevenSenses - in case you didn't find it yet, your post is right here, two before this one
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics