Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links
A picture is NOT worth a thousand words anymore

tsiggelle

Post Sat, Mar 24 2012, 6:18 pm
the saying " a picture is worth a thousand words" is not true any longer. not pictures and not videos

yiddishekup

Post Sat, Mar 24 2012, 9:04 pm
Ok, but what exactly are you reffering this too?

tsiggelle

Post Sat, Mar 24 2012, 9:20 pm
yiddishekup wrote:
Ok, but what exactly are you reffering this too?

I am reffering this to pictures and videos that the media and individuals show others to support some story or fact or point they are trying to make. with the easy photo editing and video editing out there, photos and videos are no longer able to be used to support some fact or theory. they are there for illustration purposes only (like for eg, the strawberry picture on the plain yogurt container, but on food containers (usually) at least, they clearly state that its for illustration purposes only).

saw50st8

Post Sat, Mar 24 2012, 9:22 pm
Are you refering to a recent video about a Russian Rabbi?

tsiggelle

Post Sat, Mar 24 2012, 9:31 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Are you refering to a recent video about a Russian Rabbi?

no

I dont even know that one

I was looking at an innocent video, and how they were making the wording move in an interesting way,

then I remembered watching a video how to easy easy edit a photo

and that got me thinking

so I posted.

I could make a video of my xxxx (insert relative/friend you wish) doing something, when all that is true is his face and nothing else. and even his face, largely edited, so you wouldnt recognise him. I could have fun putting on a tie and hat that he wouldnt otherwise touch, make him go places and do things he wouldnt do.

you get the picture, (pun intended)

seeker

Post Sat, Mar 24 2012, 10:11 pm
You're interpreting the saying rather narrowly. If I'm trying to explain to you, say, the correct way to install a carseat, I could still save a whole lot of words with a picture.

Also, there are almost always telltale signs when a picture has been tampered with.

tsiggelle

Post Sat, Mar 24 2012, 10:16 pm
seeker wrote:
You're interpreting the saying rather narrowly. If I'm trying to explain to you, say, the correct way to install a carseat, I could still save a whole lot of words with a picture.

you are correct, but I would quicker believe those pictures than others in the media, reason being that they dont have any reason not to give correct pictures how to install the carseat, and may even face lawsuits, but the media (news ...) , ads and individuals can get away with a lot more.

Also, there are almost always telltale signs when a picture has been tampered with.

the italised are my words

about the last sentance, see the bolded, and

not everyone can tell the difference.

I am not saying that all pictures and videos are tampered with, I am just trying to say that you cant believe all you see anymore.

but we may disagree

Last edited by tsiggelle on Sat, Mar 24 2012, 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate chips

Post Sat, Mar 24 2012, 10:18 pm
You also can't believe all that you hear anymore Smile

I understand what you are thinking but I still think that each picture in words is so much more than just that individual frame snapshot.

Simple1

Post Sat, Mar 24 2012, 10:31 pm
There is definitely some truth to what you are saying. But on the other hand, photojournalists do have ethics specific to that profession - they are generally not allowed to alter the photos before publishing. So I guess when seeing news photos, you sort of trust them, just like you'd trust any professional, (maybe with just a bit of caution).

seeker

Post Sat, Mar 24 2012, 10:37 pm
tsiggelle wrote:
seeker wrote:

you are correct, but I would quicker believe those pictures than others in the media, reason being that they dont have any reason not to give correct pictures how to install the carseat, and may even face lawsuits, but the media (news ...) , ads and individuals can get away with a lot more.

I am not saying that all pictures and videos are tampered with, I am just trying to say that you cant believe all you see anymore.
but we may disagree

My point was not that you can believe what you see. My point was that credibility is not the point of the expression "a picture is worth a thousand words." To my understanding, the saying means that pictures have the power to communicate with greater efficiency and effectiveness than words (often)

tsiggelle

Post Sat, Mar 24 2012, 10:41 pm
seeker wrote:
tsiggelle wrote:
seeker wrote:

but we may disagree

My point was not that you can believe what you see. My point was that credibility is not the point of the expression "a picture is worth a thousand words." To my understanding, the saying means that pictures have the power to communicate with greater efficiency and effectiveness than words (often)

you are right. totally. in the event that the pictures accurately convey the information.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links