Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What would YOU like to read in Jewish magazines?

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jan 01 2012, 9:14 pm
If you had the opportunity to suggest an idea for a weekly column for binah, mishpacha, ami etc. what would it be?

Is there some topic you'd like to see covered?

Let's hear it. Smile

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 7:03 pm
No one with any ideas? Smile

Here's one I've had recently: a science column focusing on explaining college-level topics in biology, physics etc. in an easy-to-understand yet not too-simplified way.

I'd be interested and as far as I know it doesn't exist. (Though I could be wrong as I don't have a regular subscription.)

Anyone else?

rise above

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 7:38 pm
Just more and more serials Smile
I would actually like book reviews.

Alef Bais

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 8:49 pm
Real stories about real people.

celestial

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 8:54 pm
Peoples true struggles and voices, in fiction or in opinion pieces, no holding back!
Controversial topics and their sources in Torah (vegetarianism, violence/Amalek, on whether or not to rely on doctors [there actually is a controversy about this if I remember!], something no one brings up from the times of the rishonim like opinions that say G-d actually does have arms/fingers etc and it's not just an allegory, etc etc etc etc)
A dialogue between someone from different sides of the spectrum of Orthodoxy or Judaism (Reform rabbi and Modern Orthodox rabbi have a dialogue, Satmar and Lubavitch, Conservative and Chofetz Chaim yeshiva guy etc). Either regular dude/lady or Rabbanim discoursing. Obviously the goal here would be achdus even if different views are presented.
A legitimate criticism of something going on with the chinuch system
Op-eds about the future of Orthodoxy

Unless they pitch the publications at a this level of interest I don't think I'll ever read these publications Smile

Grandmama

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 8:58 pm
Controversial and unpleasant topics that no one wants to admit exist.

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 9:01 pm
I would love to learn about the fundamentals of yiddishkeit. The things I didnt learn and sort of take for granted. I would not only find it fascinating but also extremely encouraging and helpful.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 11:42 pm
I agree with something sciencey. From time to time they'll feature a certain invention, innovation, nature something... but it's rare in the women's/adults magazines. Much more common in the kiddie ones and I'd love to see a more sophisticated version as a weekly feature. Maybe along the lines of understanding nifla'ot haborei.

bashinda

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 9:49 pm
I doubt they would put a conservative viewpoint in a frum magazine but I would like it if it was focused on different areas on the orthodox spectrum.

I really loved multi-part series over an article that was so makkif but could have been really interesting had they bothered to expand it.

My big pet peeve are craft articles which present something as if it's extremely easy. Yes. Maybe for you, but I personally need pictures with step-by-step directions. I would also like recipes which include how many servings/portions they have in a recipe and how to make the recipe as pictured in the magainze, including the stuff they put on top or how they've plated it.

Just realized this was from January. Oh well, it's never too late to criticize right? Very Happy It's um... constructive!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 15 2012, 12:31 pm
If you do write a "woman for woman" article or column, make sure many women can relate and not just Balabuste Extraordinaire or Modern Mrs Cleavers Wink It's a big problem I see in Jewish mags...

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 6:35 am
I like the serials, and I second the "real stories about real people"...

reportrmom

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 8:19 am
I like the in-depth history-type articles that are sometimes in Kulmos or in Zman. Also the science-type ones are interesting. I am always interested in John Loftus' articles in Ami. Nutrition information for the recipies would be helpful. I don't particularly care for the serials.

ewa-jo

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 9:58 am
Medical information (presented in a tznius way) ...especially info about conception, pregnancy and such.

I have heard soooooo much misinformation, rumors, old wives tales...etc on this site and also on pregnancy-related message boards

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 11:59 am
Short true stories.
Interviews with interesting people.
Book reviews.
Game, toy, Jewish products reviews.

allrgymama

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 12:04 pm
Personally, I hate the serials. Every week, I pass right by them. Occasionally, I'll stop with a 'this is still running?'

I would LOVE to see some kind of sci-fi that still manages to be within the confines of Jewish values and halacha. There was one in the Binah a couple of months ago (I don't remember the author) and it's the only story I ever actually called a friend to discuss.

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 12:13 pm
Science, history...real history not hagiography, in depth halachic discussion.

brklin

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 12:44 pm
something sci-fi, magincal, imaginative. enough with all the boring shalom bayis, infertility, divorced stories. people like to sit down and read something interesting not something that they may relate to . I dont like being reminded of my years of infertility when imsitting on the couch on shabbos relaxing.

reportrmom

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 12:49 pm
chocolate chips wrote:
Book reviews.
Game, toy, Jewish products reviews.

I like this idea. Of course, you realize that all reviews will say the book or product is excellent. To do otherwise would be lashon hora and hurting somebody's parnossa, so I don't know how helpful the reviews will actually be. Smile

Fox

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 1:12 pm
I enjoy profiles of interesting people; travelogue features to various Jewish communities around the world; and stories about little-known historical events.

Zman magazine is a perfect model, though the stories tend to be a little testosterone-laden (instead of shalom bayis problems and infertility, you get spy stories and military adventures). However, I learn something from almost every article, and they never talk down to readers.

I agree with Brklin -- I read fiction to escape, and the last thing I want to read about is something connected to my real life.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 2:42 pm
See, and I'd much, much rather read something connected to my life than about some boring story from history (that others find "so exciting!") or another profile about Jews who live in a small community somewhere. I think I'd find the latter interesting if I talked to someone from there, but their articles don't tend to have much in them that I can really enjoy and relate to (there's that "relate" word again!)

So I guess to each his own!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room