Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Manners for a 3 year old

Goldrose6

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 7:59 pm
how do I teach my 3 year old not to use his hands ever time he eats but to use a spoon or fork ?
is he to young for this lesson and if so when do you start?

MOM222

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 8:04 pm
Remind again and again and again.

Of course a 3 year old is not to young to start learning manners. I remind my kids all the time. Cover your mouth when you cough, use your fork, don't stand on your chair....

And of course make sure you are also not eating with your fingers LOL .

Goldrose6

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 8:40 pm
ok so here the thing he dose it at every meal (manely to spite my husband who thinks he should be old anofe to be useing utensiles) its couseing a lot of problems we tell him and he'll eat one bit with it and put it down then use his hand we tell him again and same thing all thorgh dinner, breakfast, or lunch I think hes just to young to inforce we can tell over and over again but not demand my husband thinks he shouldnt come to the table if he cant eat properlly
help need suggestions to a middle ground

MOM222

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 8:43 pm
No you can't demand it.
Just gently remind every so often.

Why don't you feed him before you and your husband eat and then he can have a drink or a bit more food with you.

Goldrose6

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 9:10 pm
I was feeding him early but my husband like family meals so we eat dinner at 4:30 then before bed I give a snack my son only gets home at 4:00

Tefila

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 9:28 pm
At 3 there is no reason that they can't use a fork or spoon. Knife is already a harder feat to master. If it was my kid and it wasn't a finger food I too, would harp on it till he or she gets the message.

imaamy

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 9:37 pm
I still have to remind my 7 year old!

gryp

Post Tue, Nov 07 2006, 9:52 am
my kids start using forks and spoons as soon as theyre able to pick one up and direct it into their mouths. there is no reason for kids to eat with their hands!
if my 3 year old would eat with his hands I would take his plate away until he is ready to eat like a mensch. he gets ready very fast.

busymom

Post Tue, Nov 07 2006, 11:10 am
I think 3-year-olds can and should be expected to eat w/ forks/spoons.

Some additional advice: Kids are VERY smart. They can "feel" what their parents are thinking. It seems to me that one reason why you may not be succeeding at teaching this is b/c, unlike dh, you are wavering and unsure whether you can expect what your asking of ds. You wrote "my husband thinks" and "my husband said" and he does it to "spite my husband..." If your son sees that Tatty wants this, but Mommy is not so sure, he WILL try to get away with it. If you both come across as being very firm on this, he'll realize "my PARENTS want" and THEN he'll know you mean business and will probably cooperate.

Let me give you an example. Say we're shopping and my kids want some toy they see. When dh and me both feel strongly that they should NOT have it, we tell them so firmly and go on w/o a problem. But whenever one of us is wavering, then even if we BOTH say no, they KNOW that one of us is not so firm about it and they'll nag and nag.
Same here. If ur son sees that only Tatty is REALLY firm about this, you won't get anywhere. He has to see and FEEL that you are on the same page regarding this. I can almost bet it'll work then.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 07 2006, 11:22 am
Maybe he'd be better off with chopsticks?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette