Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Chase Checking Bank Fees

manyhats

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 8:56 am
My balance in Chase a/c went below $15000. They now charge $25 a month .

I like my Chase Bank b/c there are hardly any lines and they have free parking.

Most of my transactions are debit purchases- @15 or so per month.

I know that an annual cost would be $300. And I would earn 2% (300/15000)

Are there well established banks that offer a more attractive package?

Please advise. TIA

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 10:21 am
I think all of the banks have similar fee's. There are some "discounts" they give for various things like getting direct deposit, paper statements, etc.

kb

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 10:22 am
TD and Astoria both offer free checking. I'm sure other banks do, too.

Annie

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 10:24 am
if you have any direct deposits that fee should be waived unless you're in a higher end account. Call your banker.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 11:07 am
Chase is a bank that requires a large minimum for free accounts. I never had extra money like that.

beckster

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 1:09 pm
If you have a mortgage with Chase (and possibly if you have a credit card with them) they will link the accounts and not charge a monthly fee.

manyhats

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 2:24 pm
Thanks everyone.

Hubby said TD only offers checking. I will need a debit card also.

Will look into Astoria.

Morgage is not applicable. Neither is linking to other accounts.

Agaain, thanks for responses.

September June

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 2:30 pm
Manyhats, I'm with TD. I have a checking account (free with an $100 balance I think) and a debit card also. Go to a branch and speak with someone there.

Chase is ridiculous with their fees.

manyhats

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 2:36 pm
Thanks SJ,

How does the TD debit card work. What do they charge for debit card withdrawals at banks?

STovah

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 2:51 pm
I have free checking with Chase which requires minimum balances of $1500 (quite different from $15000). We had to go talk to people at the bank to "grandfather" our accounts into free checking last year when they got rid of their free checking. I like Chase because you can always find an ATM (between their branches and Duane Reade, they are everywhere) and my credit card is also through Chase, so I have all my online banking in one place.

September June

Post Sun, Apr 29 2012, 3:07 pm
manyhats wrote:
Thanks SJ,

How does the TD debit card work. What do they charge for debit card withdrawals at banks?

I never used it actually. embarrassed so I can't tell you for sure.

They are generally quite reasonable about fees. In your situation, I would go to a TD branch and ask a representative about a checking account.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Apr 30 2012, 4:32 pm
I'm super confused- we have a chase account, and don't have anything close to $15000 in there, and pay nothing as long as there's like $100 in there, and you use your debit card 5 times a month. I'm not sure what it's called, but we've never paid anything for our checking account. I can check our account I guess to see if it has a name or something if you'd like..

manyhats

Post Mon, Apr 30 2012, 5:24 pm
I followed September June's advice and called TD. This refers to the account that works for me. (there are others). For a $2500 balance you get free checking and debit card. You can use any bank to withdraw cash and TD will reimburse any funds deducted from your account to pay for that transaction. They have several addional perks .

This compares to $15000 minimum that Chase requires for a free checking/debit account.

manyhats

Post Fri, May 04 2012, 1:10 pm
Update from OP

Visited Chase and learned that there were different kinds of accounts and each account differed in minimum balance needed for free checking and debit.

The $15000 requirement level has special perks. For instance, free deposit box- a $75 per year perk.

I decided to forgo that feature.

Chase credited my A/C for the $25 fee. And enrolled me in a $1500 plan. If I maintain that balance I get free checking and debit card.

Nice ending!

Tzutzie

Post Fri, May 04 2012, 1:30 pm
I used apple bank cuz it was local but a changed to chase. its great service and free. (I have automatic deposit... ) what I like best about it is that the check clears right away. by apple bank it could take over a WEEK!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics