Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Chasing illusions by Devora Weiner

cutekids

Post Sun, Mar 25 2012, 10:18 pm
Has anyone read this book? I want to buy a novel for Pesach but since so much money want a review first! thanks!

September June

Post Sun, Mar 25 2012, 10:57 pm
I would not reccomend it. I found the book to be very frustrating to read because the plot was so unrealistic. I was dissapointed because I liked this author's first few books.

The basic plot:
Hidden: 

Tehilla, a kollel wife with 5 children, decides to take a job working as a computer programer for the military. The job is a 2 1/2 hour commute each way (yes ladies, a 5 hour commute for a mother of 5). Tehilla takes the job and keeps it up for over a year. She doesn't consult with her husband before accepting the job. Her husband is unhappy with her working and tries to find a job. Finally, he gets a job offer as a rebbe but the pay is peanuts. She quits her job, they make aliyah and live happily ever after.

tsiggelle

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 9:27 am
I liked reading it, because I didnt find it too unrealistic. unfortunately, such things do happen.

iirc, it doesnt actually end in 'happily after ever', it just says that they were going to make a fresh start, but that was only the very last bit, not too many pages devoted to that.

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 6:28 am
I really want to get hold of this book, I love Devora Weiner's novels!

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 11:06 am
I thought it was awful (as did the rest of my family).

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 12:15 pm
I suspect that if you liked her other books, you'll like this one, and vv. I'll probably end up reading it if a local library gets it.
I would say this: if one hasn't read her other books, read one first. Jewish books are pretty expensive.
People are entitled to their own tastes, even if they aren't mine. (Though why in heavens they'd want such tastes is another story Tongue Out )

Tova

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 12:41 pm
Agreed w/ September-June and OOT Bubby.
Real disappointment. Especially because I found her other books intriuging.

September June

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 12:11 am
tsiggelle wrote:
I liked reading it, because I didnt find it too unrealistic. unfortunately, such things do happen.

iirc, it doesnt actually end in 'happily after ever', it just says that they were going to make a fresh start, but that was only the very last bit, not too many pages devoted to that.

This is what I found unrealistic:

Hidden: 

Tehilla accepts a job that is a 2 1/2 hour commute EACH way. She already has a good job with more flexible hours and is supporting her family comfortably yet feel compelled to accept this new job.

1. She does not even tell her husband about the job offer until after she accepts the job.
2. She keeps a job with a 5 hour daily commute for over a year. She also has five kids.

Hidden: 

Tehilla borrows a gossip magazine from her friend at work, reads it and enjoys it. On Erev Shabbos, she buys food for Shabbos instead of cooking and buys another gossip magazine from the supermarket and reads it instead of cooking.

1. Her husband is upset with her for not cooking for Shabbos (this is the same guy that didn't make much of a fuss when she took a job that she didn't need with a 5 hour commute).
2. I have only seen Shabbos takeout available in Heimeshe stores, yet they had a gossip magazine at the checkout counter.

Hidden: 

Tehilla gets a job as a computer programmer at the military.

1. She is promoted after 3 weeks for speaking out of turn at a meeting (but her suggestion was SO brilliant...)
2. Her superior is a general. Wouldn't a programmer's superior be another programmer?
3. Israel thinks of the SAME EXACT defense system as the US. Unless there's someone leaking information, I just don't see how that's possible.

Hidden: 

Tehilla forgets a classified file at home.

1. AFAIK classified files do not leave the office building.
2. We are in the year 2012, a classified file should be in electronic format not paper.

Yes, I know most of this is possible even if farfetched. I am probably nit picking but all this really bothered me and turned me off from the book more than the plot did. As I mentioned before, I was especially disappointed because I had enjoyed some of this author's previous books.

September June

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 12:12 am
tsiggelle wrote:

This is what I found unrealistic:

Hidden: 

Tehilla accepts a job that is a 2 1/2 hour commute EACH way. She already has a good job with more flexible hours and is supporting her family comfortably yet feel compelled to accept this new job.

1. She does not even tell her husband about the job offer until after she accepts the job.
2. She keeps a job with a 5 hour daily commute for over a year. She also has five kids.

Hidden: 

Tehilla borrows a gossip magazine from her friend at work, reads it and enjoys it. On Erev Shabbos, she buys food for Shabbos instead of cooking and buys another gossip magazine from the supermarket and reads it instead of cooking.

1. Her husband is upset with her for not cooking for Shabbos (this is the same guy that didn't make much of a fuss when she took a job that she didn't need with a 5 hour commute).
2. I have only seen Shabbos takeout available in Heimeshe stores, yet they had a gossip magazine at the checkout counter.

Hidden: 

Tehilla gets a job as a computer programmer at the military.

1. She is promoted after 3 weeks for speaking out of turn at a meeting (but her suggestion was SO brilliant...)
2. Her superior is a general. Wouldn't a programmer's superior be someone who knows about computer systems not a general who deals with actual wars?
3. Israel thinks of the SAME EXACT defense system as the US. Unless there's someone leaking information, I just don't see how that's possible.

Hidden: 

Tehilla forgets a classified file at home.

1. AFAIK classified files do not leave the office building.
2. We are in the year 2012, a classified file should be in electronic format not paper.

Yes, I know most of this is possible even if farfetched. I am probably nit picking but all this really bothered me and turned me off from the book more than the plot did. As I mentioned before, I was especially disappointed because I had enjoyed some of this author's previous books.

Tova

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 8:36 am
September-June LOL
I just got really annoyed at the VERY spoiled husband who complained when his wife bought takeout instead of cooking soup to nuts (she did bake challah, mind you). This is his wife who works full time and supports him in learning.

tsiggelle

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 9:29 am
dear september june,

when I said I think it is realistic, I was thinking of how the wife and husband were behaving, their thought patterns, their decisions. those were not far fetched. consider yourself lucky that you dont know such types.

mother48

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 9:50 am
was not an enjoyable read at all. it felt like an obligation to finish reading. not even fun. buy a diff book.
ps: I did like other books of hers, so devorah, if you're here, keep writing!

realeez

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 3:39 pm
Re: buying gossip magazine - where I live there is a supermarket with areas under Hashgacha that where you can buy takeout, deli, bakery items but you can definitley buy not kosher or magazines in other areas.

I usually really like her books but to me the style was the biggest drawback - felt like I was reading diaries and there wasn't much communication. It was an interesting read ESP since it was adult issues brought rather than the usual frum novel plot geared for teenagers.

married21

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 11:19 am
I really enjoyed the book. The plot was a little farfetched; she probably exaggerated a little to bring a point across.
I did NOT like the ending. They lived happily ever after and all that…real like doesn’t always work like that.
What happens when they get to Israel? Is she really going to become a stay-at- home mom, pulleeze.

It was also the first time I’ve ever seen the husband stating his love so openly in a Jewish Novel; Something like “my everlasting love for you” or something to that extent.

I put down the book and told my husband that I’m quitting my job. Um, I don’t think it’s feasible at this point, but definitely a consideration. Kids grow up so fast; nothing takes the place of a mother. Even though my kids are my top priority, I was racked with guilt when I left my 6 week old baby with a (loving) babysitter all day.

zigi

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 11:53 am
I did like the style except in the middle of nowhere they add shulamis. she is also a lot older than tehilla.

I do like how the husband saw life from her point of view and the mixed messages that people give each other, I am a sahm. I was annoyed at what was wanted for her. that she should quit. since when why? some pple are different. they should switch off from wanting a career to be more at home? would it be the same if she was a man? what about the real issues that they bring up? I know its a "frum" novel so it has to end a certain way. what about acceptance? ideals can change. are there any other options. does she really get over her crisis. does making a new change help or not?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 10:20 pm
Just wanted to bump this up and say the characters (as well as some others Wink ) are featured in Still Waters if you want to know the "ending" -- or rather how it's going post-move to E"Y

booboo24

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 10:59 pm
Just read over shabbas her two books hearts of gold and hearts of gold 2, I really enjoyed them...I didn't like the ending of chasing illusions, it seemed to easy like let's move to Israel and everything will be fine......her whole job just seemed weird and not realistic at all......

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 11:24 pm
I don't think it was supposed to be easy. I think it was supposed to be drastic, a wake up call. (I just re-read the book after reading Still Waters which features Avrumy and Raizy, and Chani and Yoni as well, BTW as well as Rebbetzin Sarah Feldman from Changing Tides, and Mike and Sheila Small [are they from White Ice?])

The current status quo was horrendous -- Eliezer was getting depressed not being able to do what he wants while making a difference also to his family, Tehila was not being able to see the slippery slope she was on. But if you read Still Waters, you will see where they are holding a year after their move. It wasn't a happily-ever-after ending, but rather a pause in their journey with no real ending in sight.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room