Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Moldy smelling clothing

mydear

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 5:57 pm
Anyone know how I can get the smell out? I stored all my baby's clothing for years (youngest is 17 now). It was all in great condition since the stuff only went through 1-2 children. I reorganized the things last year (still no smell) and when I took them out today for my first grandchild it all smelled moldy (although the stuff is still white). I washed it in hot water, added laundry conditioner and tried vinegar. It still smells. Baby's coming out of hospital tomorrow or next day and I would really like to get the smell out.
Any suggestions? TIA

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 6:01 pm
oxy clean

and mazal tov!

mydear

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 6:09 pm
I'll try it. Thanks

spring13

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 6:17 pm
If you can, hang things in the sun. Fresh air is awesome.

mydear

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 8:54 am
Thank you both. Used oxy and then hung outside in the sun. A world of difference.

Simple1

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 9:00 am
I'm glad you got the smell out. But my first thought was that that's a really really long time to store clothing as it starts to deteriorate and also go out of style after a while. I don't know where you live, but baby clothing can be bought very cheap in some places and they don't have to be top quality as they outgrow it so fast!

mydear

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 9:06 am
I live in Yerushalayim. The clothing is mostly Carters. Every couple of years I checked them and now except for the smell they are in perfectly good condition. Since I had only two births they were barely used. The stuff that didn't keep well was thrown out years ago. I would love to buy new things but at the moment it's a financial impossibility.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 11:34 am
Simple1 wrote:
I'm glad you got the smell out. But my first thought was that that's a really really long time to store clothing as it starts to deteriorate and also go out of style after a while. I don't know where you live, but baby clothing can be bought very cheap in some places and they don't have to be top quality as they outgrow it so fast!
Sometimes its sentimental why a parent will keep baby clothing. I had my daughter when I was 28. My mother gave me some things from when I was a baby and everything was in great condition and who cares about out of style for a baby? It was so nice seeing my daughter, just a few weeks old, wearing something that I wore 28 years before.

mydear

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 11:45 am
That is definitely one of the reasons I started to save in the first place as opposed to giving them away. I also have in the box clothing my son got from his cousin who was 4 years his elder and we have pictures of both of them in the same clothing (ex I dressed my son for his 1st birthday what his cousin wore on his 1st birthday). My nephew died almost three years ago in the army and when I opened the boxes yesterday, their shared clothing was even more precious.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry