Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Making Shavous in a non kosher kitchen...
1  2  Next

SacN

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 7:39 pm
We are visiting my not religious in laws for two weeks at the end of May, accidentally happening to overlap with Shavous. They are israeli, masorti, and believe that everything we do is extreme and unnecessarily difficult and silly, but want to have a relationship with their son (my dh).

Given that--they offered to put us up in a hotel suite nearby to where they live with a kitchen and dining room for Shavous. There are minyanim nearby, and my in-laws will be able to walk over and join us for some meals/hang out time. The plan is that we can cook the food ahead of time in their apartment (double wrapping, using disposable, etc), and heat it up (with the same methods) in the hotel.

Logistically, how do I work this? Shabbos needs to be fleishigs and I'd LOVE to do Milchigs for two other meals. I'm looking for meal/menu ideas that work with double wrapping, tips on how to manage cooking so much food in my in law's not kosher apartment, etc. I also don't want to have to buy a blech/crockpot, etc, but don't really know what else I could do...I also don't want to look completely ridiculous in front of my in laws patchkaing around with complicated kashrus situations and tons of dishes. The simpler the better.

Thanks so much Smile

cm

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 8:01 pm
Are you traveling far? In other words, can you cook up a storm and bring the food along with you? I've done this many times. Kugels/casseroles in general heat up nicely double-wrapped. Cooking from scratch in a non-kosher kitchen gets tricky, but it can be done - but take-out or frozen foods are a lot more convenient. I generally don't use disposables, but in this circumstance they may be very helpful.

SacN

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 8:08 pm
Nope, I wish. We are flying, and probably have too much luggage as it is.

We've always tried to avoid visiting over Shabbos, and this time we decided one Shabbos would be fine. Little did we know...

I can get some take out probably, but honestly, we don't like takeout much, and it's too expensive to do for six meals.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 8:50 pm
SacN, give us an idea as to what you usually like to serve, and we will try to help as much as we can.

SacN

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 9:04 pm
Thanks ra_mom!

Shabbos dinner is usually chicken soup, chicken or something with ground beef, salad, cooked veggie, and potatoes/rice/sweet potatos/squash, and lunch is usually cholent, eggs from the cholent, salad and a cooked veggie. And fresh hummus with everything, sometimes fish. Yom tov is usually some more red meat. We like things fresh tasting and simple, so lots of garlic, salt, celantro, but nothing "fake"--no soup mix types of things.

Milchigs, we like everything. Lasagna, stuffed pastas, fish, blintzes, etc.

I'm hoping to buy a couple of frying pans/pots at their house in order to make this possible, if that helps!

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 9:24 pm
If you want to make everything double wrapped in disposable pans we can probably figure out how to make all of the above, besides the soup.
Maybe the pots and pans won't be necessary after all.
You can do roast chicken, meatballs, "steamed" veggies, potatoes and/or sweet potatoes, rice, etc.
You can do cholent in the oven on a really low temperature - with raw eggs tucked inside, salad, veggies, fish in tomato sauce. For hummus you would need a (hand) blender and canned chick peas.
You can make roast this way, spare ribs, etc.
Then no boil lasagna, baked ziti, manicotti etc too.

Let us know what you would need help making.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 9:31 pm
On second thought, you can probably make a fairly decent soup like you would in the crockpot if you set your oven on a very low temp and keep it there for a while. Vegetable soup/split pea soup would probably be your best shot.

shabri

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 2:22 am
If you go there even somewhat infrequently, you might want to invest in a small crockpot. We did at my in-laws. It was very cheap (under $20). We use it when we are there for Shabbos but also for midweek meals when we visit as they also do not have a kosher kitchen

SacN

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 9:13 am
We visit approximately once a year, usually for less than a week. We never wanted to buy things because it's generally easier to eat cold foods for the time that we're there. I'm also not sure that they are interested in storing our cookware.

Honestly, I suppose I do know how to do it, I'm just a bit intimidated by the idea of making a 3 day yom tov in their kitchen (or altogether, we are usually away for the 3 regalim) without weirding them out or making myself a ton of work. I generally don't so much as cover things in the oven, and I want to make sure everything I make can be cooked through without being mushy.

I usually roast my veggies and chicken, so I'll probably stick with that for 2-3 meals, and make some kind of baked chicken & rice dish. I'll probably make ribs or a london broil or small steaks or something with a veggie dsh and roasted potatoes, and the rest of the meals dairy--one meal something heavy (lasagna) and a veggie and another something lighter, fish and rice and veggie, or quiche. That brings me to 5-6 meals, with some flexibility for leftovers getting reused. I'd like to have soup for the night meals--one veggie/chicken and one "cream of___", and a salad with every meal--but we're okay with lettuce or baby spinach, tomatoes, cukes and lime, salt and oil for all of them, so I don't need recipes for that. I usually make fresh hummus (with dried beans, not canned), but maybe this once, I'll buy the packaged stuff.

My in-laws will probably be joining us for some meals--I imagine the shabbos meals, and the other night meals. FIL doesn't eat meat or peppers and tries to avoid wheat, and they both eat like birds. And of course, I want to impress them Smile

Thanks for all your help! EEK!

Liba

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 9:25 am
http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....oduct when we went to not yet frum family we bought a good toaster oven to cook in. It wasn't a ton of money and they happily took it as a gift when we left. We used it for fleishigs and were able to cook pretty much what ever we would normally cook in a regular oven in it.

I would stick with no cook cheese cake recipes and ready made blintzes.

You are going to need something to heat up the food on on shabbos and yom tov. http://www.amazon.com/ISRA-HEA.....=1-50 This looks like what we use every shabbos and we are happy with it.

SacN

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 9:56 am
Oh my. I'm not spending $140 on appliances that I am going to use once. For that, I can fork over the money to get takeout.

I can also leave the oven on, or on a timer, and have cold food Shabbos lunch. Maybe I can find someone in the area who is going away who I could borrow a blech/hot plate/crockpot from.

I'm really looking for menu help, and support!

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 11:59 am
I think bringing appliances and pots and pans can freak them out.
If you can get by with disposables, I think that's ideal.

Let me know if you need recipes or ideas for any of the dishes you mentioned.

Can you make the soups ahead of time and freeze them? Or is there a take out place near your ILs that you can buy just the soups (and hummus) at?

Liba

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 12:04 pm
Smile Maybe there is someone local to where you will be who can help? I would happily make you a pot of soup and a cake if you were going to be local to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Po.....r=8-6 you can get a crockpot for under $20 but then you have to figure out how to toivel it.

ray family

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 1:33 pm
I wouldn't buy a hotplate but I would get a blech so you can keep your food warm for shabbos shabbos blech
I've never purchased from this site I just did a google search.

it may also be worthwhile to invest in a crockpot if you like having soup. you can keep it there for future use

e/t else that you mentioned can be made covered in the oven- chicken, meat, veg, rice, lasagna, quiche, fish etc you can prob get premade blintz leaves in the states and fill them on you own,

you can do it!

yksraya

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 1:38 pm
maybe there is a way to kasher everything or most things in the hotel. buy an inexpensive hot plate for the milchigs.

sky

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 1:49 pm
You can make yapchuk for cholent. Its baked in a 9x13 pan covered pan overnight.
http://www.food.com/recipe/pot.....54854

For friday night you can do chicken, rice and potatoes, sweet potatoes, zuchhini all in one pot with spices.

Milchigs - lasagna can be baked in a covered 9x13 pan without boiling first . Layer noodles, cottage cheese and sauce. If you have a pan or microwave you can cook some spinach, onions, and mushrooms and add to the layers. Pour about 1/2 cup water in the corners of the pan and cover tightly and bake.
You can bake salmon in a covered pan.
If you have a frying pan you can make shnitzel.
Baked flounder.

SacN

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 3:32 pm
Yapchuk sounds interesting--is it closer to potato kugel than to cholent? I think I've had that on Pesach in someones house before.

I'm not certain if I'll have any pots or frying pans, so no sautéing, maybe no soup (Sad), etc.

I often make baked chicken, salmon, lasagna, etc, but never covered. Do I just do the same thing? Won't the things cook slower?

How can I do veggies double covered in the oven? Won't they be mushy? I usually roast everything...

My in laws live two blocks from the ocean, so B''H, toiveling is a non issue, if I have anything to toivel. They might (will) think I'm nuts though. I suppose they have before and will again, so no big deal.

If I just leave the oven on in the hotel to keep things warm and everything is double wrapped, I can do fleishigs and milchigs in there, and wouldn't need to buy a separate hot plate. Maybe I will get a pareve crockpot and make a big soup for the whole yom tov though...

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 4:36 pm
SacN wrote:
Yapchuk sounds interesting--is it closer to potato kugel than to cholent? I think I've had that on Pesach in someones house before.

I'm not certain if I'll have any pots or frying pans, so no sautéing, maybe no soup (Sad), etc.

I often make baked chicken, salmon, lasagna, etc, but never covered. Do I just do the same thing? Won't the things cook slower?

How can I do veggies double covered in the oven? Won't they be mushy? I usually roast everything...

My in laws live two blocks from the ocean, so B''H, toiveling is a non issue, if I have anything to toivel. They might (will) think I'm nuts though. I suppose they have before and will again, so no big deal.

If I just leave the oven on in the hotel to keep things warm and everything is double wrapped, I can do fleishigs and milchigs in there, and wouldn't need to buy a separate hot plate. Maybe I will get a pareve crockpot and make a big soup for the whole yom tov though...
If you bake chicken or salmon covered, you need to bake it for longer. And the dishes will be softer and won't be browned.
So for example, bone-in chicken should bake at 350 for 2 1/2 hours covered.
Salmon can bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
Lasagna can be baked with raw uncooked lasagna noodles. Layer sauce, noodles, cheese. Then pour 1 cup water around the sides of the pan. Cover tightly and bake at 350 for 1 hour.
Veggies baked covered will come out like steamed veggies. Season them and bake and they will be delicious.

SacN

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 5:03 pm
okay--thanks everyone for your help.

Two more questions:

Can I make roasted potatoes covered, or should I stick with some other dish?

What about Cheesecake/deserts in general? Any ideas? I could just stick with sorbet/ice cream and fruit, and stuff from a store.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 5:13 pm
SacN wrote:
okay--thanks everyone for your help.

Two more questions:

Can I make roasted potatoes covered, or should I stick with some other dish?

What about Cheesecake/deserts in general? Any ideas? I could just stick with sorbet/ice cream and fruit, and stuff from a store.
Yes you can. Use red potatoes for those. They have a nice consistency when cooked/baked until soft instead of being browned.

For cheesecake, would you want to do a no-bake pie? This one is really good. All you need is a good whisk/fork and a heavy hand to beat until smooth, then pour into a ready pie crust and freeze (you can usually find parve ones at a supermarket like Pathmark.) You just need to take it out to partially thaw in the refrigerator 1 hour before serving. It's served half frozen/very cold.

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....rt=20
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus