Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help! My DS doesnt let me clear his hair from nits & lic

amother

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 8:09 pm
My ds has lice. I tried combing his hair with a nit comb & only found one lice.
He probably has more but he doesnt let me check, he doesnt want to sit still a minute. I promised him lots of good stuff that he likes but it doesnt help.

how do you do it?
ANy ideas how to get it out the easiest way?

amother

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 8:49 pm
Have him watch a video or have someone read him a book while you are doing it.

ny_ima

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 8:57 pm
Cover his hair completely with vaseline, wrap hair with saran wrap for few hours (or over night) All nits lice eggs will suffocate. Then wash it out with dish detergent. Works like a dream and hair will be super shiny!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 9:12 pm
Shave it all off. Friends tell me that it's so much easier.

amother

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 9:15 pm
ny_ima wrote:
Cover his hair completely with vaseline, wrap hair with saran wrap for few hours (or over night) All nits lice eggs will suffocate. Then wash it out with dish detergent. Works like a dream and hair will be super shiny!

Is it safe to put him to sleep with saran wrap on his hair?

Hope he'll let me do it

paprika

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 9:16 pm
I would recommend going to a professional. Kids behave much better by strangers than by their moms. If he doesn't have too many knits, it won't cost you much. Even if you decide to do it on your own, you should go to a professional just for a recheck. Many times they take out the last one or two pieces that you missed. If left behind, within a week you're back to square one.

Your school should be able to tell you who does it professionally in your neighborhood.

Good luck.

Marion

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 10:53 pm
My kids don't like to sit still for it either, but I don't give them much of a choice. When my under-two-year-old had to be combed out I thanked G-d his hair was still baby fine and I plopped him in his high chair with a pile of Cheerios and buckled him in. He didn't like it much but had nowhere to go. The bigger boys have their hair shorter and they KNOW it's not a choice and it's not up for discussion. Just do it. It doesn't take more than a couple of minutes. (I don't nit-pick, by the way, just comb them out twice a day for a few days.)

amother

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 7:17 pm
I'm the AP above. He isn't 3 yet so not shaving him yet.

sneakermom

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 8:00 pm
One of my girls got nits at about age two. I stood her up on a little step stool by the kitchen sink, put in a few toys, and had her play with the water. This kept her still and right under my strong kitchen light. It worked really well.

chavamom

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 9:20 pm
Cetaphil. No Saranwrap or other dubious ingredients and it's actually been studied and proven to work.

http://www.nuvoforheadlice.com/

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 9:38 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the AP above. He isn't 3 yet so not shaving him yet.

it's a question for a rov, then.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics