Home

"This Prom Has Everything, Except for Boys"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

bluebird

Post Posted: Tue, May 01 2012, 11:44 pm       Post subject: "This Prom Has Everything, Except for Boys"
I really liked this article about an all-girls prom that a high school student organized for students that do not socialize with or dance in front of males. There's a very nice video in the article that I can't seem to embed here.

The New York Times wrote:

HAMTRAMCK, Mich. — The prom countdown was nearly complete, the do-it-yourself Greek columns, pink and white tulle bows and plastic flutes with the “Once Upon a Dream” logo awaiting the evening of evenings.

As organizer of Hamtramck High School’s first all-girl prom, which conforms to religious beliefs forbidding dating, dancing with boys or appearing without a head scarf in front of males, Tharima, 17, was forging a new rite of passage for every teenage Muslim girl who had ever spent prom night at home, wistfully watching the limousines roll by.

“Hi, guys — I mean girls!” Tharima, a Bangladeshi-American, exuded into the microphone as 100 girls — Yemeni-American, Polish-American, Palestinian-American, Bosnian-American and African-American — began pouring into the hall on Bangladesh Avenue.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05.....mp;emc=rss

FrumMamaPA

Post Posted: Wed, May 02 2012, 6:59 pm       Post subject: re: "This Prom Has Everything, Except for Boys"
I think that's fantastic. Good for them!!

chocolate chips

Post Posted: Wed, May 02 2012, 9:02 pm       Post subject: re: "This Prom Has Everything, Except for Boys"
Just goes to show, people who hold by certain religious 'rules' or 'minhagim' can have fun as well!

Thanks for posting Smile

PinkFridge

Post Posted: Wed, May 02 2012, 9:35 pm       Post subject: re: "This Prom Has Everything, Except for Boys"
Ah, Hamtramck. Isn't that the home of the Polish Muslims?
The righteous praise and honor people for every good quality that is found in them while the wicked seek out faults in others to pull them down, even if they repented those deeds. (Rabbeinu Yonah, from Partners in Kindness)

sky

Post Posted: Wed, May 02 2012, 9:56 pm       Post subject: re: "This Prom Has Everything, Except for Boys"
I was just at a chinese auction for women. There was a waiter manning the panina press. As he was working he suddenly looked up and said "I just realized - are there only women here".
I think women only events look strange to everyone else.

emama

Post Posted: Wed, May 02 2012, 9:56 pm       Post subject: re: "This Prom Has Everything, Except for Boys"
When my daughter was in NCSY, the local chapter (mostly yeshiva kids and some ps kids) had a girls' prom. I thought it was so cute. It was at someone's home, and the girls actually dressed up for the occasion (no, not prom gowns!) They had refreshments, and played some games. Just fun and special for the girls.

PinkFridge

Post Posted: Thu, May 03 2012, 11:08 am       Post subject: re: "This Prom Has Everything, Except for Boys"
The reactions here are very interesting. Yes, welcome to our world, where the boys don't appear too often to begin with. And yes, it can be very healthy. (Wasn't that one of the points if not the point of Mystics, Mavericks and Merrymakers?) But this wasn't the kind of chagiga, or retreat a lot of our h.s. girls might be going on this time of year. This had to be a prom, with all the trimmings, dressing up for...whom? When my kids have more dressy school programs they're still not wearing the heels and chasuna outfits. I really do need to look this over more carefully, I don't remember the pics, but I wonder if the girls showed a bit less skin than they would have had the boys been there....
View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links
Page 1 of 1