Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
DS NEEDS AN EEG - WHAT CAN I EXPECT?

amother

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 9:33 pm
My two year old son needs to have an EEG done. Any ideas or tips on what I should expect - I am clueless.

TIA

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 9:46 pm
Edit

Last edited by MaBelleVie on Sun, May 13 2012, 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

GetReal

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 9:51 pm
There are different types. My ds was 18 months. He had tons of wires on his head and he was supposed to sit still for half an hour or so. It didn't go so well. Your son is a little older, maybe you can bring things to entertain him.

PIP

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 9:52 pm
Very simple procedure. They put a cap on the child's head then put gel in a bunch of different spots under the cap and over the cap (be prepared he will need a shower right after) They hook up a bunch of wires to the cap, and close the lights, then they will flash lights in the dark room for about 40 minutes. Your child will be sitting for some of the test and laying down for some part with his eyes closed, I think they even encourage falling asleep. I don't remember exactly. But it is completely painless.

Hatzlocha and may you receive good news!

forthrite

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 9:52 pm
An eeg is a test done usually to detect seizures.the electrodes ,meaning the wires, are put on with a sticky washable substance,on the head. the patient ideally should remain still during the test,which is done in a quiet room.it usually lasts about 20 minutes and is totally painless,although having the electrodes placed on the head might bother the child. results are read by the neurologist.good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics