Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What can I make for my kids on Shabbos?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 10:06 am
They won't eat cholent. They won't eat shnitzel. They won't eat cold chicken. They always used to eat drumsticks and thighs (the thighs cut off the bone), but now they've been getting sick of those and refusing them too. I'd really like them to get some protein into them at Shabbos meals. They will eat gefilte fish, so at least that's something, but dh and I get sick of it if we have it every week, so we sometimes have melon or fruit salad or something instead. So any other ideas of foods I can make for them on Shabbos that they'll actually eat? I do make fleishigs during the week (although they prefer milchiks), and they eat hamburgers, meatballs, chicken nuggets. None of which I'm making for Shabbos.

Any other ideas?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 10:12 am
Can you cut the shnitzel into strips and make chicken fingers? Tell them they're giant chicken nuggets special for Shabbos?

What do you feel about deli? If it's something you don't mind using, you can make a deli platter or deli salad.

My kids who had stopped eating cholent started again when my husband cut up a hot dog to put in there. We did that for a few weeks and kind of fizzled out but they're still eating it.

My kids like eggs mashed up with sauteed onions if I have (otherwise I skip), olive oil, salt, and pepper. Or I'll make deviled eggs sometimes.

Chickpeas is a big hit with some of the kids. The kids can help make that, and when they help they're more inclined to eat it. (Open a can of chickpeas, sprinkle on seasoned salt, garlic powder, cumin, etc)

Mimisinger

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 10:12 am
deli? deli roll?

SS6099

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 10:42 am
My kids love deli and liver, believe it or not!
Lots of kids like egg salad. Would they go for that?
Also, why don't you cook 1/2 loaf gefilte just for the kids?

syrima

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 11:04 am
once in a while we have franks in blankets- kids luv it. The older ones eat cholent, but my youngest...just wants dessert, thank you!

pumpkinsbubby

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 11:14 am
I add sliced hot dogs to the cholent and everyone loves it - the kids as well as the grown-ups. (I also include flanken which I feel gives the cholent an amazingly good flavor.)
Other ideas? egg salad, chopped liver, or gefilta fish with toss salad on the side.

sky

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 11:22 am
- franks n blanks
- deli roll
- meatballs over rice
- little breaded chicken nuggets with a dipping sauce
- chicken on a stick with dipping sauce
(everything is always more fun on a stick or with a dip)
- Baked salami over rice

pumpkinsbubby

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 11:29 am
How do you prepare Baked Salami? I LOVE salami, so it's sounds amazing - need recipe, though. TIA

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 11:33 am
I really try not to go with deli or hotdogs...

I might try chickpeas. Kids used to eat them, I don't know if they will now, but it's worth a try.

Oooh, chicken on a stick sounds like it might work! As I said, it's not that they don't like the actual taste of chicken, ust that they're bored with it, so I think I'll try that! How do you make it? Just use toothpicks? Do I soak the toothpicks first or do anything to the chicken beforehand?

I guess I could try egg salad, but that's usually a big shalosh seudos (I know, that never spells right) food.

My husband gets absolutely disgusted by chopped liver. If nothing else works on here, I might as him if he could look the other way. When we've been at other people's houses, my kids have eaten that (at least one of them, I don't remember about the other).

I've tried the "but it's chicken nuggets!" line. Nadda. I've gotta admit, the boxed ones do taste very different. But they get so expensive!

If you have any other ideas, please do keep 'em coming!

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 11:45 am
P.S. What should I give them to dip the chicken in? I was thinking maybe honey-mustard dressing. Any other ideas?

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 11:54 am
I just thread the chicken strips onto wooden skewers and bake.
You can do breaded chicken, marinated chicken...

for dipping:
ketchup
mayo
sweet pickle relish
russian dressing (ketchup, mayo, spices)
honey mustard
ranch dressing (mayo, dill, spices)
sweet teriyaki (soy sauce, sugar, garlic - heated until dissolved)
sweet bbq sauce (ketchup, brown sugar - heated until dissolved)

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 11:56 am
meatballs
mini hamburgers

why not just make enough gefilte fish that they will eat? You can always cut the roll while it is still frozen or semi frozen and then boil just the right amount. I do it all the time.

EMmom

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 3:05 pm
ktzitzot - basically ground beef with grated veggies egg spices and breadcrummbs and then lightly fried on each side - my kids love it

mha3484

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 3:58 pm
Anything on a stick is infinitely more interesting to a little kid or an adult.

I tried the deli roll here with the egg roll wrappers with turkey inside and it was good and not as fattening as using puff pastry and red meat.

How about a pasta dish? I make meat lasagna when I feel like a change from chicken, would they eat something like that? I also like the moussaka from KBD but I dont know how much your kids eat veggies.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 4:13 pm
You might wanat to rephrase the title. Are they eating it ON Shabbos or are you looking for things you can prepare ON Shabbos ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics