Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Mashed potatoes

amother

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 8:32 am
does mashed potatoes freeze well? anyone try it?

Liba

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 8:47 am
Potatoes don't freeze well. They might be okay frozen and reheated thoroughly, but they won't be the same as fresh IMO.

curlgirl

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 8:55 am
I've frozen a mashed potato casserole (mixed w/eggs, seasonings and broccoli then baked) and it was great.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 9:34 am
Don't use milk/oil/liquid in your mashed potatoes if freezing.
Use butter, soy free marg, etc.

glamourmom

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 9:38 am
im a working mom and I come home late. DH comes home only 30 minutes after me so that doesnt leave me much time to prepare food. im wondering if I make a big pot of mashed potatoes with sauteed onions and I freeze it in containers will it be good later when I wana use it?

id let it defrost completely and then rewarm it in the oven or microwave. it works wonderfully with rice and pasta...

tsiggelle

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 3:41 pm
if you reheat it to boiling point , then its good. it looses a little of the taste, but its ok.

please note, you have to heat it to boiling point (and then cool if you want), because merely warming it will not do it good, and that imo is why frozen mashed potatoes got the bad name

chocolate chips

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 4:13 pm
I have frozen potato knish which has mashed potato inside but never plain mashed potato.

If you reheat until its properly hot (in the oven maybe?) then it should be ok.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 4:25 pm
we froze mashed potatoes for passover and they actually were fine but they MUST be completely reheated and mixed up thoroughly.

the first night my mil did not listen to me and they were gross, but the second day, we reheated them completely and mixed them up- they were GONE! everyone enjoyed them and I would not have been able to tell the difference. Speaking as a foodie.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen