Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Healthy cheesecake recipes please

black sheep

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 8:55 pm
is that an oxymoron? I want to make cheesecake for shavuos, but I would prefer to make a healthy version. does anyone have a good recipe with soy or light cream cheese, or at least lighter and healthier than the usual cheesecake?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, May 19 2012, 9:11 pm
who says soy is healthy ?

Imma2+2

Post Sat, May 19 2012, 9:58 pm
If you make yogurt cheese from low fat yogurt, and don't over-sweeten it, then it should be lighter and lower in calories. There's a great recipe in the Moosewood Cookbook (the first one, but revised edition where they lower the fat content). Basically, you start with yogurt that you strain, then add sugar and vanilla to taste, and pour the mixture into a graham cracker crust (make your own if you are trying to be very careful about nutrition) and refrigerate.

tsiggelle

Post Sat, May 19 2012, 10:43 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
who says soy is healthy ?

LOL I was thinking that.

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, May 19 2012, 11:06 pm
Good cheesecake has 12,000 calories a slice. Thats what makes it yummy, anything else isn't worth making or eating. Smile

ray family

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 2:30 am
what about using the lowest percent cream cheese you can find and using less sugar. that's the only way I can think to make it "healthier". unless you make a pumpkin cheesecake in which case it'll have some additional nutrients. or garnish a plain cheesecake (minus the crust) w/ fresh fruit.

flyingmum

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 9:05 am
I just made a so called 'low fat' cheese cake. It's from the binah magazine from about a year ago:

1 (16oz) low-fat cottage cheese
1 (8oz) low fat vanilla yogurt
3 eggs
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar

For the base they say to use 4 chocolate graham crackers crushed.
The other ingredients just mix in blender and pour on top of base in 9'' round pan.
You can decorate it with fresh fruit or swirl some chocolate syrup on before baking.
We had it just plain it was delicious and yes it does feel lighter then a heavy cheese cake.
But still cheese cake is still cheese cake.
Hope this was helpful

greentiger

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 9:19 am
You cant get any healthier than this:
http://www.vegetariantimes.com.....cake/

This rich, dairy-free, no-bake cheesecake is flavored with agave nectar, a raw sweetener derived from the agave plant. Agave nectar is sweeter than honey with a milder, more floral taste—ideal for desserts or drinks. 2 cups macadamia nuts 1 ½ cups cashews ½ cup pitted Medjool dates ¼ cup dried coconut 6 Tbs. coconut oil, melted (gently warmed) ¼ cup lime juice ¼ cup raw agave nectar ½ sun-dried vanilla bean 3 cups mixed berries, such as blueberries and raspberries 1. Place macadamia nuts in large bowl, and cover with cold water. Place cashews in separate bowl, and cover with cold water. Soak nuts 4 hours, then rinse, drain, and set aside. 2. Pulse macadamia nuts and dates in food processor to a sticky crumb-like consistency. Sprinkle dried coconut on bottom of 8-inch pie pan. Press macadamia nut mixture onto coconut to make crust. 3. Place cashews, coconut oil, lime juice, agave nectar, and 6 Tbs. water in bowl of food processor. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into food processor bowl, and purée until smooth. Pour mixture onto crust, and freeze 1 to 2 hours, or until firm. Remove from freezer, slice while frozen, and transfer to serving platter. Defrost in fridge 1 hour, or on countertop 30 minutes; top with berries; and serve.

Note: it is sweetened with agave because it is a vegan recipe but I believe you can substitute that with honey.

black sheep

Post Wed, May 23 2012, 7:35 pm
thanks for all your responses. time for me to start baking!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking