Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Asifa...basic summary please?

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 9:07 am
Can someone please post, without commentary or personal opinions, a basic summary of last nights event for those of us who didnt listen?

thank you

happybeingamom

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 10:17 am
I am hoping DH gives me info.

I want a summary what each speaker said.

I would like to come to my own conclusion not what others opinions are on it.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 10:19 am
There were many speeches, some in Yiddish some in English.
A few were too long and boring while others were amazing and spoke about the bad internet can do and how we have to be careful and protect our children from such things.
They also spoke about using filters and using them correctly.

Dh said "they should have not focused so much on the over 20 year olds using internet, they are still going to. They should have focused more on telling the men how to make sure their children are protected from the DANGER on the internet (not no use at all! just very filtered use)."
He also said the nicest part of the entire evening was the tefila ohl malchus shamayim and the singing as well as a united maariv and yehei shmei raba from 42000 people!

happybeingamom

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 10:21 am
chocolate chips wrote:
A few were too long and boring while others were amazing and spoke about the bad internet can do and how we have to be careful and protect our children from such things.

Dh said "they should have not focused so much on the over 20 year olds using internet, they are still going to. They should have focused more on telling the men how to make sure their children are protected from the DANGER on the internet (not no use at all! just very filtered use)."
He also said the nicest part of the entire evening was the tefila ohl malchus shamayim and the singing as well as a united maariv and yehei shmei raba from 42000 people!

I would have loved to see that!

curlgirl

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 11:01 am
chocolate chips wrote:
They should have focused more on telling the men how to make sure their children are protected from the DANGER on the internet (not no use at all! just very filtered use)."

Shouldn't women hear this too?

happybeingamom wrote:

Too bad you're a woman Rolling Eyes

Fabulous

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 11:03 am
curlgirl wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:
They should have focused more on telling the men how to make sure their children are protected from the DANGER on the internet (not no use at all! just very filtered use)."

Shouldn't women hear this too?

happybeingamom wrote:

Too bad you're a woman Rolling Eyes

I think she meant parents in general. And women could have gone to the hookups.

curlgirl

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 11:07 am
But WHY was it for men only?

I'm sorry, but that made me think it was focused on ONE very specific danger of the internet...

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 11:08 am
Here's a link to some audio clips: Audio clips on matzav.com.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 1:00 pm
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/22748710

THat is the video clip I saw.

There was live hookups for women. The stadium was filled with 42000 men and it would have been 1000 times harder to organise if there would have to be separate entrances etc. The hookups were just as "live" as being there since majority of people were watching on the screens.

Tova

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 1:38 pm
I'm waiting 'til Thursday when I get my Yated to read the summaries!

emhabanim

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 3:42 pm
Sorry, but I don't think hookups are at all like being live... simply by being in the arena you feel the environment, even if you need to look at a screen to see the speaker. A live hook up just doesn't offer you that. It's like telling your husband that being at game seven of the world series in the bleacher stands is the same as watching it on a live screen TV. Don't think he'd buy that, so why should you buy that a live video stream is the same????

As for it being difficult to organize if women were present, difficult is not impossible. Had they wanted women there and felt a value to having women there, it would have been done. Look at the Siyum HaShas with far more participants involved... it has women's seats!!!! And, how many women have been learning the daily daf????

Don't fool yourself; this society did not want you or any woman there. If they valued your input, you would have been invited.

Aylat

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 5:51 pm
I think some of this is off topic. The OP asked for a summary without opinion or comment.

abmom

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 6:15 pm
@KolHaolam tweeted updates, topics, and quotes of the speeches throughout the evening. You can check it out.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 7:41 pm
chocolate chips wrote:
There was live hookups for women. The stadium was filled with 42000 men and it would have been 1000 times harder to organise if there would have to be separate entrances etc. The hookups were just as "live" as being there since majority of people were watching on the screens.

Hmmm, am I the only one to notice the irony of a gathering to warn people dangers of internet being disseminated on a webcast? Confused

chocolate chips

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 8:15 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:

Hmmm, am I the only one to notice the irony of a gathering to warn people dangers of internet being disseminated on a webcast? Confused
No. I was watching live clips being posted every 10mins online!

I could not stop laughing at the irony!

chocolate chips

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 8:28 pm
I wanted to add one more thing that was said that dh told me.
One rav said that they should be asking in shidduchim if one of them (girl/boy) have access to internet and if yes is it filtered?!

I said that when they stop asking bra sizes then they can ask this! LOL As if the shidduch world is not hard enough!

slushiemom

Post Wed, May 23 2012, 1:39 am
chocolate chips wrote:

Halevei this is what would have been implemented after the fact. Unfortunately, it seems as though BMG just went back 15 years and issued the same exact type of ban, if not even more invasive (needing specific permission from a Rabbi to have the internet for work) as they did back then- didn't work then. This means there has been ZERO progress in the realm of leaders of the community understanding the needs and realities of today's community.

http://failedmessiah.typepad.c......html

happybeingamom

Post Wed, May 23 2012, 12:46 pm
chocolate chips wrote:
I wanted to add one more thing that was said that dh told me.
One rav said that they should be asking in shidduchim if one of them (girl/boy) have access to internet and if yes is it filtered?!

I said that when they stop asking bra sizes then they can ask this! LOL As if the shidduch world is not hard enough!

Most working girls have access to the internet because they use it for their job. Not every girl is an assistant in a school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics