Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bed size - 54" or 48"
Previous  1  2

wereafamily

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 9:02 pm
Thank you so much everyone, I also feel that 54" is the right thing, but now I truly believe so, thanks - and I am starting to think nothing would happen if I don't have a whole bedroom set Smile

Sleepys is having a mattress sale, can you please advice me on mattress - I am clueless! Also, people with 54" where did you buy your furniture?

wereafamily

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 9:07 pm
Sherri wrote:
54 inches. What furniture would you be able to fit (besides for another night table) if you would go with 48"? That extra foot doesn't really give you enough room for anything substantial.

The thing is if I get 48" I can put the beds a against a different wall and have place for a vanity set, with the 54" I only have place for a night table with some space in between...

but if I have place in my closet for all my clothing, do I really need a vanity set?

Sherri

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 9:08 pm
What's a vanity set? Armoir? Dresser?
Where do you plan to put underwear, socks, etc?

wereafamily

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 9:56 pm
Sherri wrote:
What's a vanity set? Armoir? Dresser?
Where do you plan to put underwear, socks, etc?

Oops, dresser - Armoir is totally not necessary, I don't see the point in it.

I would keep the stuff that normally go in the dresser in a container on the shelf... I did that when I lived in Israel.

So why do I need a bedroom set, because everyone else does..

Sherri

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 10:02 pm
Nope, you definitely don't *need* to get that stuff. But like you said, you don't know what your next place will have to offer in terms of storage.

If you don't davka want/need "matchy-matchy", that's not a problem, either-- you'll just buy a nice dresser if/when you do need one in the future.

If you are the type to want an exact match, then you might be more safe getting one now. Also, sometimes the money is available now and you don't know if your budget will allow it in the future.

edited for mistake

Last edited by Sherri on Mon, May 21 2012, 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

yiddishekup

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 10:27 pm
No, stick with the 54". Exact matches in furniture look so "Jewish" (your description) and is exactly the look you want to avoid. Wink Good luck! This sounds like fun.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 11:07 pm
I didn't get a matching bedroom set. My beds, night stand and dresser are all the same color, similar style, and have brushed stainless fixtures. But they're from different collections. I think it looks more interesting than the same style repeated all over the room.

granolamom

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 11:20 pm
wereafamily wrote:
Thank you so much everyone, I also feel that 54" is the right thing, but now I truly believe so, thanks - and I am starting to think nothing would happen if I don't have a whole bedroom set Smile

Sleepys is having a mattress sale, can you please advice me on mattress - I am clueless! Also, people with 54" where did you buy your furniture?

we got ours at sleepys
cant really advise you on a mattress, you have to choose one that feels good to you (I would do a bit of research into the brands though). save your receipts and warranty info. sleepy's will replace (similar value) if they fall apart within a year or so.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 11:27 pm
If you have room to have the 54" and don't need the extra space a dresser would provide go for it.

I have 48" with a dresser and two bedside tables but that is all it fits. The bed is quite large and I can sleep comfortably with ds next to me but 54" is definitely comfier and roomier.

Plus its easier to get cheaper linen with 54"

Happy 2B

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 11:41 pm
I wish I got 54 I need a lot of room in my bed. But my friend who has the 54 tells me that because it's so large linen is very expensive. Something to consider. I would definitely go with the 54 if I had room.

amother

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 11:54 pm
wereafamily wrote:

I found sleepys to be very expensive. We bought beds at Sleeptight Bedding in Boro Park. We paid $800 for one 54" and one 39"
You have to test out he mattress to see whats comfy for you

jflower

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 7:43 am
I buy 54" sheets for my 48" mattresses and just tuck them under a bit. It works fine and I can buy the sheets anywhere and not in specific stores.

If you don't get a dresser, where are you going to put your stuff - underwear etc? I have a friend who has loads of baskets in the closet holding underwear, scarves, everything that would usually be in the dresser drawers. It looks like the shelves in my son's preschool with all those baskets. That wouldn't work for me, but if you're ok with it go with the 54" beds.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 9:29 am
If armoire = closet then I think it's very needed.

We have two single beds, meaning 2 36. 48 doesn't exist here, and 54 is a couple bed. We are both tall and all, and I personally could even do with a lil bit smaller.

I'm all for the bigger the better, but bear in mind more space in the room may be worth it. 2 48 would fill a whole wall in our room and be always together.

leel

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 10:07 am
We have Two 54 inchs and its the greatest thing. I was hesitant at first but now when we go away and I go into a smaller bed I feel like I have no room. Its also good if any kids creep in to ur bed in the middle of the night.

amother

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 10:32 am
We have 48's and it's perfect. Definitly big enough even when the baby comes in, especially when we keep them together. We each have our own night table on the sides. My sister who bought 54 was thrilled until she finally bought a house and here bedroom is too small to fit the 54's and she had to give up furniture and now she regrets it. I would say to go with the 48's, unless you don't mind not having a full bedroom set.

cm

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 10:54 am
Ruchel wrote:
If armoire = closet then I think it's very needed.

FYI - In the US, closets are typically built-in, so a wardrobe (tall cabinet for hanging clothing) or armoire (tall cabinet with shelves and drawers) are extra pieces of furniture that one might select in addition to or in place of a dresser (chest of drawers). I have been told that in England rooms do not have built-in closets. How is it in France?

As for the OP's question - it really depends on the room you have and what houses are typically like in places where you might live in the future. My house - and presumably all the houses like it in our suburban development - was designed for a king-size bed, so two twins fit very nicely. Two full beds (54") or even a full and a twin would not allow us to place other furniture in the room or reach one of the closets easily. Re-arranging to use the floor space more efficiently would block one of the numerous doors (hall, bath, two closets) or heating vents.

I've never heard of or seen 48" beds.

amother

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 11:01 am
I would do 54" if you have the room. I have two 54" beds and sometimes I feel like with me and Dh they r way too small! ( We sleep in 1 bed whenever we r not in Niddah). I would love to get Queen size! I am soooo glad I didnt listen to ppl who told me to get 48"!

wereafamily

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 12:48 pm
amother wrote:
wereafamily wrote:

I found sleepys to be very expensive. We bought beds at Sleeptight Bedding in Boro Park. We paid $800 for one 54" and one 39"
You have to test out he mattress to see whats comfy for you

Thanks, looks like I'm going to use them, they had the best prices so far... Smile

amother

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 5:31 pm
Ahhhhhh, I miss America!!! you guys are so lucky that you have space for 48 or 54 beds!
Like Ruchel, we have two single beds (about the size of an american twin bed), and in the house we are moving into, we had to figure out how to rearrange the entire room just so that we'll be able to fit a night table in between the beds, cuz the way it is now, the beds are together, and if we need to move them apart, we won't be able to open the closet door.
lucky for us, both dh and I are pretty small, if we weren't, I really dont know what we'd do! bigger sized beds are just not an option here.

that said, enjoy your new beds, and use them in good health!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics