Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Riva Pomerantz - Diamond Dust
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 19  20  21  Next

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 9:59 pm
Actually, I'm rather appalled that even though the Rosh Yeshiva describes Tzvi as having wonderful midos, the only thing Yalli's father cares about is his hasmadah.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 10:02 pm
seeker wrote:
Yknow, I've only once in my life seen anyone faint. Serial characters seem rather fragile in proportion to the rest of the population.

I fainted at my brother's wedding. At the chuppah. All the wedding guests saw it.

Charnie

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 10:03 pm
I missed one chapter (I think it was issue 290), and then this week's summary says Yalli & Tzvi are getting engaged? What happened - can someone please scan and PM the missing issue?

This story is quite a bit more realistic then Riva's last (Charades) in my opinion. Many of us either went through similiar childhood experiences as Yalli, or know someone else who did. So far her transitional character doesn't evoke too much sympathy. But I anticipate some interesting twists and turns up ahead.

sarahd

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 4:45 am
I cannot abide melodrama, which is my standard complaint with these serial stories. I thought the story was going okay, though, till this last episode.

But I do know that there are some people who love this sort of histrionics, so I guess writers have to cater to everyone.

(Question: How can someone who's been learning in yeshiva his whole life be an "am ha'aretz gamur"? I don't like the way a rosh kollel, serious learner is being made to look like a sanctimonious snob.)

bashinda

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 6:06 am
A lot of people can be one wonderful people, but somehow when it comes to shidduchim for their children, start behaving very differently. I guess this shidduch is not exactly bringing out his good side.

I was a little shocked though, too because I read back to the previous issue, (I'm behind on issues except for the serial) and there didn't seem to be anything meriting Tzvi's being called "am haaretz gamur", even if you read between the lines. Yes, he doesn't have the hasmada that he wants for his son in law. It's a very extreme and myopic view.

It isn't fun, however, to read about a rosh kollel who acts like this. And for someone who's not yeshivish there is a danger for people like us to wonder, "is that how they really feel about people? that good middos is nothing, only learning? And he's a Rosh Kolle???"

ceo

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 7:15 am
bashinda wrote:
I was a little shocked though, too because I read back to the previous issue, (I'm behind on issues except for the serial) and there didn't seem to be anything meriting Tzvi's being called "am haaretz gamur", even if you read between the lines. Yes, he doesn't have the hasmada that he wants for his son in law. It's a very extreme and myopic view.

It isn't fun, however, to read about a rosh kollel who acts like this. And for someone who's not yeshivish there is a danger for people like us to wonder, "is that how they really feel about people? that good middos is nothing, only learning? And he's a Rosh Kolle???"

Well, hopefully people will realize it's fiction!!!! Remember when Hearts of Gold was published in the Mishpacha? People wrote in saying things like "You know, you're portraying american kollel couples in E"Y in such a bad light that my parents have decided not to support us anymore." and the author responded (along the lines of), "That's ridiculous that people are making real life descions based on fictional charachters.....that's just not smart." LOL LOL LOL

But yes, while there isn't an indication that Tzvi is the biggest masmid around, there is actually no indication that he is an am ha'aretz gamur.....he was sititng and learning on shabbos when Pearl came over, for example.

But there was a scene at the Kirsch shabbos table where Eli was wishing that his new son in law would say something on the parsha.

But it sounds like Riva maybe didn't iron out her facts before publishing the story, because if he is indeed an am ha'aretz, then she isn't really doing a good job of portraying that.....

I've noticed that that happens a lot in frum books( regarding facts not being straight)-- usually with minor characters, though. For example, there are books where the sequencing is totally off....like how did a person get engaged, married, and start inviting shabbos guests all in what would be a time span of about 2 months? Or in another book, it said on one page that the granmother was named Chava......then 5 chapters later, her name is Malka. Or, the person will find out she's expecting over pesach, and then she'll have the baby over yom kippor....and the baby is totally healthy, so obviously not a premie.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 9:49 am
Dont you understand, that there was a miscommunication between the Rosh kollel, tzvi, fraidy, and yalli - like broken telephone. it started with "they spoke on the phone during seder" and ended with 'omg am haaretz gamur.' You know parents; they want their kids (& kids in law) to be perfect, and once they've been 'passuled' their flaws take on a life of their own...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 9:50 am
(Or a character will have gone somewhere after her second, but she never had only two kids -- she had one and then twins after that...yeah, I notice these things but I think it's poor editing more than poor writing for those types of inconsistencies.

No comment on this serial....have not read it.)

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 11:00 am
ceo wrote:
bashinda wrote:

Well, hopefully people will realize it's fiction!!!!

shock shock shock
Well, that explains why Mishpacha ignores my weekly letters to put this column where it belongs, front and center after the editorials. I guess it was just fiction after all.... must have some chocolate while I come to terms with this news.....

bashinda

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 2:09 pm
It's fiction but realistic fiction, so it should be somewhat based on reality. I'm not saying I'm going to think this way, but since for some of us this is a big way we find out about other kehillos, it could be that someone could think this way.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 4:38 pm
bashinda wrote:
It's fiction but realistic fiction, so it should be somewhat based on reality. I'm not saying I'm going to think this way, but since for some of us this is a big way we find out about other kehillos, it could be that someone could think this way.

I know, I was just kidding. And I agree. Not just that we want realistic fiction, but we know that Riva can deliver decent writing.

married21

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 9:54 am
Looks like Tzvi’s sister was the one that tormented Yalli in school. I’ve been suspecting that much all along, it just sort of seemed that way in this week’s chapter.

I really do not like Tzvi’s personality; he comes across as very pushy, while Yalli is getting meeker every week.

Wonder what will happen, will the shidduch happen… or will she find out about his sister and drop the whole thing…

Very suspenseful!

lamplighter

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 10:11 am
Oh I think they'll get engaged, and that's when all the fun will really start Smile

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 10:27 am
married21 wrote:
Looks like Tzvi’s sister was the one that tormented Yalli in school. I’ve been suspecting that much all along, it just sort of seemed that way in this week’s chapter.

I really do not like Tzvi’s personality; he comes across as very pushy, while Yalli is getting meeker every week.

Wonder what will happen, will the shidduch happen… or will she find out about his sister and drop the whole thing…

Very suspenseful!

Tzvi's sister is Henny. Yalli's tormentor was Dini. And why would Henny have to ask Sheva for information about Yalli from the past if she'd known her??

I agree about Yalli's personality- I like her less every week. We need some STRONG women as role models in these stories IMHO!

seeker

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 10:55 am
married21 wrote:

Very suspenseful!

Not sure where that was indicated, possibly in the new installment? Can we please avoid revealing plot details at least until they've been out for a while?

Mama Bear

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 11:20 am
I dont think Henny was her tormenter at all; I just think that Henny will be very jealous of Yalli now (including, perhaps, that Yalli will get pregnant before she does), and will start bullying her...

married21

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 11:44 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I dont think Henny was her tormenter at all; I just think that Henny will be very jealous of Yalli now (including, perhaps, that Yalli will get pregnant before she does), and will start bullying her...

Lots of possibilities…

Sorry, it gets delivered to my door Thursday morning…
I read it on my way out- I was dressed, my kids were dressed and my daughter was schlepping me to go to school already. I just had to read the serial.

Ahhh, I would love a sneak preview.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 11:59 am
seeker wrote:
married21 wrote:

Very suspenseful!

Not sure where that was indicated, possibly in the new installment? Can we please avoid revealing plot details at least until they've been out for a while?

I think putting spoiler alert in caps at the beginning of a post should work as well.

STMommy

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 12:28 pm
Do we know how old Yalli is in the story?
Reason I'm asking is if she's 18 or over than the ER doc last week violated HIPAA rules by speaking to the parents about her health condition without asking her first. I thought it was very weird. In general Yalli is acting like someone who has major growing up to do before she thinks about dating let alone getting engaged!

chavamom

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 1:57 pm
That struck me too.
Page 4 of 21   Previous  1  2  3  4  5 19  20  21  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room