Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is my hot water urn normal?!?!

amother

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 12:25 pm
We've talked about hot water urns before, but here's a different question:

So I have the cheapest kind-- it's metal with a spout. And maybe it's just me, but I think that the water has a slight rust tint-- it just doesn't look 100% clear was water should. It tastes fine, and DH puts coffee in too soon to see anything-- but I'm sure I see something!!

Is this normal? Am I making things up?? Could it be dangerous?!?!

Any advice or opinions welcome... Thanx!

Flowerchild

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 12:30 pm
ok, just one question, how come you posting as amother? just curious, because I dont see a reason for that

shoy18

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 12:39 pm
I would just get rid of it and get a better one, more for safety reasons than anything else. I know to many kids who got burned from them.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 12:41 pm
Thanks, Shoy, but we don't have kids yet (iy"h soon!)... and we don't have money either!!!

Mishie

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 1:28 pm
We bought one less than a year ago. It's supposed to be one of the fancier type of hot-water urns.
It has a manual pump and an electronic pump (little button), and a Shabbos switch etc etc...

We paid a lot of money for it. and guess what? It's not working anymore!!
Both pumps don't work!
When we put it on "boil" it just goes on and on, and water starts to spill out all over the counter.

We can't find the receipt anywhere.... So, there's nothing we can do about it.
If you do end up buying a new one, make sure you get some kind of guarantee. and - save the receipt!!

G'luck!!

S.Shcwartz

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 1:34 pm
I have the same one amother, it's great. It's just that when it's almost empty, the water seems to have little black dots in it...is that what u mean?
and yeah, y r u posting as amother?

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 2:12 pm
One of the most important things to check when you buy an urn is that it is CHILD SAFE.

It should have a sturdy base (not a tripod); a tap that closes when released (the type you press down and not the type that you turn on and off manually) or a pump; and a lid that closes tight.

Urns should be placed on a flat surface out of the reach of small children with the electrical wire hidden from view and shortened by bunching together with a rubber band. Children should never be allowed to climb up to open cabinets when the urn is hot.

Please believe me that all precautions should be taken to prevent your child from being scalded. My one year old was recently badly scalded by water from such an urn (baruch Hashem, he's fine now). Please be careful.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 3:08 pm
Maybe it just needs to be cleaned out.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 5:17 pm
Mishie wrote:
We bought one less than a year ago. It's supposed to be one of the fancier type of hot-water urns.
It has a manual pump and an electronic pump (little button), and a Shabbos switch etc etc...

We paid a lot of money for it. and guess what? It's not working anymore!!
Both pumps don't work!
When we put it on "boil" it just goes on and on, and water starts to spill out all over the counter.

We can't find the receipt anywhere.... So, there's nothing we can do about it.
If you do end up buying a new one, make sure you get some kind of guarantee. and - save the receipt!!

G'luck!!

oh boy that just happened to us last shabbos!! we bought the urn for peasach....we were very upset when we went to wash friday night and the counter was all wet and theurn was all empty!!

after shabbat my husband opened it up and found that a little plastic piece had fallen off the somewhere...he figured out that if he refastened it with some sort of tape that it now will hold water. It worked great this past shabbos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen