Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
3hr Flight with 2-3wk old newborn? Too Crazy/Dangerous??

medola

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 9:58 pm
We're moving down to FL this summer from the Northeast and are trying to figure out what's the best way to get there. We'll probably be shipping our boxes of stuff (books/clothes/dishes/tchochkies)- or possibly loading them on Amtrak.
(Suggestions for cheapest and least stressful ways to move stuff 1500 miles - not including furnature - are also appreciated!)

So the main question of this thread is that we will iy'H have a newborn - about 2-3 weeks old - at the time of our move, and I'm wondering what's the best way to move down there with this tiny infant?

Fastest way to get there would be to fly down. But I've heard that, with flying, some airlines don't even allow flying with such young babies. Others will allow it at 2 weeks of age (though it seems like that's pushing it). I've also heard that the elevation might be harmful for the baby's ears. Also exposure to all those germs in the cabin is not ideal for the fragile immune system...

Someone I know told me how she had a friend who had to fly from Israel to America with her baby for the baby's bris. So her baby was about a week old and that flight was much longer than my 3 hr one... So I guess it is possible, just not ideal...

Other options would be to drive down, or drive down part of the way and take the train for the other half. But that's a LOT of time on the road (~25 hrs) and it may be too crazy. Also we'll have a 3.5 yr old with us.

Any ideas or advice are appreciated!
TIA

amother

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 10:00 pm
I know people who flew to America for their bris after being born in EY. Not that that's proof of anything.

amother

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 10:03 pm
I also know several people who flew to America from Israel with babies less than two weeks and like you said, not that it proves anything, but they are all fine. I know one of them spoke with the pediatrician first who reassured her that it's totally fine (although I do think they moved one vaccination up though).

Good luck!

baker1

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 10:03 pm
I flew twice with my newborns. One was 5 days old, and one was 8 days old. The airlines did not make any problems except that I needed a passport for them cuz' I was flying from the states to Canada.

medola

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 10:06 pm
amother - Right, I mentioned a story like that. I just don't know if I'd be risking any real damage (like with the elevation affecting the inner ear thing, and exposure to germs) or if the baby would most likely cry the entire way - making life miserable for everyone on the flight - me and baby included!

amother

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 10:09 pm
I flew twice with a newborn- ne 3 days old and once 2 weeks old ( 2 days after being released from the NICU). you might need a letter from the DR. giving the ok to fly. otherwise no problem- its actually easy- the baby sleeps the whole time. and I would recommend buying a seat for the baby so he/she can be in his infant carrier and"protected" from hitting his head on armrest or something when you move around.

medola

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 10:15 pm
Thanks everyone! Very helpful!!

Would you all recommend flying over driving/train, then??

Marion

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 1:06 am
YES! Certainly with another child in tow. Baby's ears will be fine (nurse/bottle/pacifier on take-off and landing), and the shorter trip will be good for everyone's nerves. Even if the baby were to cry for 3 hours of the flight...imagine if s/he was to cry for the 25 hours of the drive! And your 3.5 year old, stopping all the time on the side for a bathroom break or a snack or she's bored (25 hours is a very long time to be in a car, even if you break it up).

Hashemlovesme

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 5:15 am
don't buy another seat, request bulkhead

yOungM0mmy

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 6:51 am
I flew with my 10 day old, UK to NY (7 hours). Easiest flight ever - nursed at take off and landing, and he slept the rest of the time. It was a bit of a juggling act to get his birth registered and passport made in time, and we did get a letter from the dr that he was fine to fly, which they asked to see at check in, and then no one made any fuss. He was fine, I was fine (although waiting in line for customs once we landed was not much fun - I had an episiotomy and irritated stitches!) go for it.

myself

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 7:41 am
The fact that most airlines only allow babies after 2 weeks old would make me wary about travelling with a younger baby, but I'm quite confident that if they allow it then it's presumably safe for a 2+ week old. Most newborns sleep most of the time at that point. A relative of mine flew with a few week old baby on a 24 hour flight with a stopover and she said that apart from feeds the baby was asleep most of the time. It's definitely easier then flying with a 6 months old. Will the airline provide a bassinet for the baby? (If yes, make sure to arrive to the airport early enough to ensure it's available to you). B'shaa Tova and Good Luck for the move! I hope you'll all adapt and settle easily.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics