Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Raw foods only, anyone here do that?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 1:33 pm
I watched something the other day about some people (it happened to be in Britain) who do not eat anything cooked, so they mostly eat seeds of many kinds and all kinds of veggies. Not even all fruits because it is too full of sugars.

So, my questions are:
1. Does anyone here live and eat this way? Because it does become a way of life and
2. Would you change your eating habits to do this if you thought that it was a better way of getting all the proper nutrients? Im not sold on the idea at all, but was just wondering about if anyone here eats this way.

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 2:20 pm
Yes, I do. But I still think it is extreme. There are lots more people who eat 70-80% this way and have some cooked grains, veggies and protein, which is mentally much more healthy imho.

mvp

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 2:57 pm
If you looking for natural, this is definitely not the natural way for humans to eat. I believe that the original way - is the intended way when it comes to the human diet. Meats and whole grains are natural for humans - this is basically across all cultures and all times.

It would be very hard to get all the nutrients out of a diet like this.
Sugar, when consumed together with all the fiber contained in fruit (not fruit juice!) is not something most of us should be worried about. Fruits contain vitamines that are essential to us. Supplements are only 2nd best.

There is importance in eating a variety of foods, and importance in food tasting good.

Also, a very big concept in Chinese Traditional medicine that our bodies, being a warm environment do not like cold raw foods, and such food actually puts extra stress on the digestive system, and in excess can bring harm. Warm, cooked food on the other hand is therapeutic.

Balance is the golden rule.

hannahbakashaw

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 2:49 pm
Sorry, I am a newbie and this is another old post, My husband and I eat mostly raw fruits and veggies. We lost a combined weight of 100 pounds and counting. We are doing it mostly to get healthy. We thought if it was good enough for the first family that the Creator placed here, it can't be too bad lol Can't say this is how we will always eat, but until we get over some health hurdles, it's working! Cheers

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 3:39 pm
we do it too! we eat mostly fruit & some vegies -mostly all raw. we do boil lightly some vegies. we do it to get healthy & hopefully will be a life style by us. I will eat some protein once in a while; otherwise I take Vitamin B12 (organic). it's an awesome diet. your body feels great & full of energy! also you can eat as much as you want with these foods. - & you don't gain weight.

Sherri

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 4:50 pm
hannahbakashaw, you sound pretty okay with the whole thing. What was your diet before this? How did you find the change?

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 6:10 pm
I EAT VEGAN UNPROCESSED PLANT BASED BUT I TEND TO COOK MY VEGGIES.

I am down 3 sizes eating this way.

Hashem did not create man to eat meat.

Before the times of Noach all of humanity were vegan.

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 6:11 pm
BUT I've only been eating this way since August.
So, to summarize... FOR TODAY I am vegan.
I don't know about tomorrow.
:-)

Sherri

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 6:34 pm
I would love to hear about the journey.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 8:16 pm
It doesn't work for everyone. My stomach hurts when I eat most raw vegetables.

mizle10

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 4:50 pm
ValleyMom wrote:

Where do you get that from?

cbg

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 6:37 pm
My DD is a raw vegan. In the winter she is 70-80% raw. In the summer she eats closer to 90+% raw, and is a fruitarian until 5pm.
My SOnIL, her DH, is vegan, he eats 50% raw. They are raising their DC this way as well.

They eat a lot of, what I consider, desert type foods. Chia pudding, banana splits with nuts and coconut cream, date truffles with cashew cream, avocado mousse pie, almond butter on apple or celery, fruit based icecream, green smoothies. Of course they eat salads and all raw vegetables.

The DH and DD eats quinoa, brown rice, all types of beans, sweet potato, fresh peas, etc.

What I noticed is that they are never satisfied and eat something every 15-30 minutes. They graze all day long.

Mevater

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 7:47 pm
What would the Friday night and Shabbos day meal be like with all or most raw foods? What would the meal consist of?

Volunteer

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 8:36 pm
I don't buy into the concept behind the raw diet, because some foods are more digestible cooked. But, since I read many anecdotes of people who lost a significant amount of weight on the raw diet, I decided to try it anyway. Nuts don't agree with me, so it became very clear that I would have trouble finding protein foods to eat. I decided to make an exception for proteins and eat cooked vegetarian proteins (such as beans and tofu). After about 3 days, I was not feeling well at all. I am very active, and I lacked energy, and I often felt shaky. I was getting really tired of salad and fruit, despite the fact that I enjoy those foods in general. I quickly began to miss my regular soups, stir-fries, and casseroles. Not to mention animal products. I got annoyed at the diet because it was unnecessarily restricting me from eating healthy, filling, food. I got so annoyed that I went and baked a half-batch of cookies and ate the whole thing, just to spite the diet. Obviously, that blew whatever benefit I otherwise got from eating raw! Long story short, the raw diet definitely did not work for me. Everyone needs to find a system for eating that works for them, and not get too caught up in fads. Especially if you don't really believe in the concept behind it in the first place.

cbg

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 10:59 am
Mevater wrote:
What would the Friday night and Shabbos day meal be like with all or most raw foods? What would the meal consist of?

I was at my DD's MIL's home once, shabbat day.
They served.
Cold raw gazpacho soup, abit spicy

Raw
Pad Thai consisting of raw zucchini, carrots, peppers, onion, all cut to look like noodles with a nutty sauce (not peanut)
Huge green salad with lots of veggies, hemp seeds, and raspberry dressing
Red cabbage salad
Chopped raw mushroom in romaine lettuce with salsa on the side (it's suppose to be tacos)
Crudette platter with Tehina

Cooked
Sweet potato black bean salad with lime and cilantro dressing
Brown Rice
Brocolli and Cauliflower with a creamy sauce

Dessert
Date Truffles
Raw cheese cake
Sliced fruit
Tea, some type of ginger, cinnamon, clove tea they make themselves.

Everything was very yummy, but 1/2 hour later I was hungry.

miami85

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 12:44 pm
ValleyMom wrote:

I don't understand this post. If we were not created to eat meat then why do we have canine teeth (meant for ripping meat)? Why would there be one of the noahide laws about "not eating animals alive" (one could deduce that it WAS happening because it was made forbidden). Many people did not eat meat because it was not taught how to properly handle animals. We only learnt the halachos of shechita after matan torah.

Why would HaShem command the offering and EATING of karbanos--not to mention the korban pesach.
Why would chazal say simcha comes from "bassar v'yayin"? Why would the Torah mention "lo tivashel gidee b'chalav emo"?

Animals were created for man to derive benefit both for products and for nourishment.

Furthermore, I don't think an "only raw food" is what HaShem meant for us either--as there are so many instances in the Torah that talk about cooking. Chazal wanted us to eat hot food on shabbos so we eat cholent.

Hashem could've made food bland or visually unappealing, or in "pill" form that we take once a day, but He didn't, he gave us beautiful fruits and vegetables, foods that smell delicious when they cook, so that we may say brachos and give thanks to Him for all the good He provides.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 1:27 pm
Raw doesnt mean vega
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking