Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What do you think of the new AMI serials?
Previous  1  2

das

Post Sun, Jan 22 2012, 2:35 pm
Again, it happens in the espionage world that marriages are made to maintain cover. Why does this mean a "baby" wrote it? Yes, marriages are made and relations are had with one partner being none the wiser. I've read about it before. Yes, you can feel bad for her, but on the bright side he'll treat her well so she should never leave him.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jan 22 2012, 2:52 pm
I SKIM THE CCHILDRENS MMAGAZINES of a

Weekly magazines - and I love the serials. Once o start a serial I cant stop buying the mag til it finishes... crqzy!!

Alef Bais

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 9:11 pm
emesornt wrote:
wait, grownups read the kiddie section?

I read it! It has so many interesting things in there, it's not 'just' for kids Smile

I love Ruthie Pearlman's serials. I am not a fan of Fly By Night though, it really seems very farfetched to me and I find it annoying to follow.

Mama Bear: It looks like Fly By Night is reaching a conclusion at last, is that really the only reason you're still buying Ami???

I am fascinated with the turn A Family Like Ours took with the sudden, unexpected and dramatic action and surprise news. (I don't want to give it away for those who are not caught up). I am waiting to see what effects it will all have on the children.

I am also kind of repulsed by Total Immersion. Yes, it is not believable and I do find it disturbing, but I read it anyway.

Can't wait to get my Ami tomorrow!!!

2cents

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 10:28 pm
I think both "a family like ours" and "total immersion" read flat and unrealistic because they are being written "frum". they're stories about marriage with huge parts of married life left out.

Alef Bais

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 12:48 pm
2cents wrote:
I think both "a family like ours" and "total immersion" read flat and unrealistic because they are being written "frum". they're stories about marriage with huge parts of married life left out.

What do you expect from a frum publication??? Do you actually want them to take you into the bedroom? That's what the public library is for Wink

m in Israel

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 1:15 pm
"A Family Like Ours" bothers me as unrealistic not because they are being written "frum" but because either they are writing about the biggest non-mentch in the world --or huge parts are being left out. I don't get their portrayal of Nachum. To begin with he seems to make no effort to help his kids transition to his marriage or accept his new wife. (There is a reference to her kids great therapist who helped them prepare, but it seems pretty clear that no similar move was made on his side.) He seems completely MIA as his older kids protest her arrival (their principal and grandparents are the ones calling the shots), and he doesn't even have the decency to call her mother or the house when he finds her in the hospital. Yes, I know he b'shita doesn't carry a cell phone -- I find it hard to believe that he couldn't borrow someone's/ find a payphone/ use a phone at the nurse's station to call back to the kids panicking at home (who at that point don't know where he is either!) or to his MIL. This story is really grating on my nerves. . .

wif

Post Fri, Feb 24 2012, 1:14 am
Alef Bais wrote:
emesornt wrote:
wait, grownups read the kiddie section?

I read it! It has so many interesting things in there, it's not 'just' for kids Smile

I love Ruthie Pearlman's serials. I am not a fan of Fly By Night though, it really seems very farfetched to me and I find it annoying to follow.

Mama Bear: It looks like Fly By Night is reaching a conclusion at last, is that really the only reason you're still buying Ami???

I am fascinated with the turn A Family Like Ours took with the sudden, unexpected and dramatic action and surprise news. (I don't want to give it away for those who are not caught up). I am waiting to see what effects it will all have on the children.

I am also kind of repulsed by Total Immersion. Yes, it is not believable and I do find it disturbing, but I read it anyway.

Can't wait to get my Ami tomorrow!!!

I like AIM! better than AMI... embarrassed

bashinda

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 10:01 pm
I am so confused. I thought a widow or a widower has to wait for 3 chagim to pass before remarrying. Maybe this is less widespread than I realized?

I don't get AMI enough to follow the serials, although I'm tempted with the new Ruthie Pearlman one. The only problem with that one is that it has a same title as a very famous secular novel from the 1960s. I never read that one but it sounds like a very different story somehow...

BrachaC

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 10:10 pm
I read "A family like ours" but am not really enjoying it and cannot stand the espionage one- I tried to read it in the beginning, but gave up. I am wondering if we should stop buying the Ami and switch to Mishpacha.

wif

Post Thu, Mar 15 2012, 1:06 am
The Group looks good.

wif

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 2:48 pm
In spite of my usual snobby self, I am enjoying their Total Immersion. I think I've just always been a sucker for a handsome and mysterious secret agent.

crush

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 7:56 pm
I like The Group. It reminds me of Stepford Wives Smile

wif

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 1:06 am
Yes, sounds like a Jewish Stepford Wives. I'm not crazy about how fast he thought something was wrong, though. A smiling wife with five course dinners should not set off panic alarms on day one.

I like the AIM serials. Wink

married21

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 1:29 pm
SPOILER ALERT

Total immersion ended. What a letdown!

I thought the whole plot was farfetched and unrealistic.

I’ll admit, I did follow it with curiosity, but it just came across all wrong.

I’m looking forward to see what serial the Ami will have up next…

Mama Bear

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 3:19 pm
I'm very very disappointed at the ending. All that buildup for.... nothing??? what was the point???

Alef Bais

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 9:03 pm
I get the impression that the author of Total Immersion either got bored of writing it and wanted to just finish quickly or maybe the magazine didn't like where it was heading and told her to just end it...

Whatever the case may be, it could have been SO MUCH BETTER!

It's surprising how fast it concluded because the previous serial, A Crib In The Attic just schlepped out and out and out...

I'm reading The Group and I agree it seems much ado about nothing. How can there be a Jewish version of The Stepford Wives?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room