Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Israeli salad ingredient quantities for large group

OOTBubby

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 5:07 pm
We are making Israeli salad for my GS's bar mitzvah seudah. There will be around 80 people. It will be in bowls on the tables together with 2-3 other salads.

I don't want to know how much per person to make (I'd guess around 1/4 cup or a little less); rather, I'd like to know in terms of the vegetable proportions how much of each to use.

My normal proportions are:
1 lg. cucumber
1 med. tomato
1/2 colored pepper
1/4 lg. red onion

Based on those proportions (and I have no idea how much it yields as I've never measured); how much of each do you think should be used to serve as indicated above?

TIA

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 9:22 pm
Are you serving this in those boat bowls? The ones most caterers serve cole slaw and cucumber salad in?

If so, how many tables will you be having? Will you be placing 2 bowls of each salad on each table?

OOTBubby

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 9:25 pm
Yes, boat bowls & 1 per table of 10 people with 2 other salads on each table. Total of 8 tables.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 9:30 pm
Before I thought about how you would be serving this (in boats), my initial reaction was to say multiply your ingredients by 10.
I still think that would be good.
If you want extras for refills, you can make more. But I don't think you will need to refill.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 9:34 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Before I thought about how you would be serving this (in boats), my initial reaction was to say multiply your ingredients by 10.
If you want extras for refills, you can make more. But I don't think you will need to refill.

Thanks so much. I was thinking something in that range.

de_goldy

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 9:35 pm
Depends how much other food there is, but your measurements there sounds like enough for 2-3 ppl.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 9:38 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Thanks so much. I was thinking something in that range.
Maybe 12, to make sure the bowls are full, as Israeli salad usually kind of settles once it sits.

lamplighter

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 9:42 pm
How many people does your original recipe feed?
Maybe make one of that recipe for each table.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 9:45 pm
de_goldy wrote:
Depends how much other food there is, but your measurements there sounds like enough for 2-3 ppl.

Based on the amount of other food and my knowledge of the crowd, I think my base measurements would serve at least 6, maybe more, so 12 times it should be enough especially considering that a lot are kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics