Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
I HATE braiding challah

Ay Jay Jay

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 5:37 pm
I really hate braiding challah! I'm thinking of just throwing the dough into a loaf.. It hurts my hands Sad and suggestions??

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 5:38 pm
I never braid my challa and it always looks and tastes great

just put it in a greased loaf pan and bake

crl

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 5:43 pm
Instead of braiding, you can make round challahs - just roll the dough into a thick snake and roll then place into round pan.

You can also do breakaway challah - form balls out of the dough, place one in the center of a round pan and keep adding balls - like a flower - around it, and then add around that layer of balls, until your pan is full.

Faigy86

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 5:48 pm
I don't like braiding Challah either. I don't see anything wrong with just putting it into a loaf pan. If you want it to be pretty, you can twist 2 thin strips and lay it on top.

Pineapple

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 5:55 pm
They sell silicon loaf that lookns like it was braided

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 6:04 pm
I don't like to braid either.
I often use a loaf pan and put in one large ball of dough in the middle, and a smaller ball on each end (two smaller balls total). Looks nice.

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 6:21 pm
I make pull apart challa the whole time. Its great for a crowd.

However, I find it goes stale more quickly then braids so I make braids for shabbos lunch.

Those challa moulds look more work then they save. You need to take them out in the middle of baking and pull of the mould, and I think egg it and put it back in.

Kumphort

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 6:26 pm
I sometime cheat, I use the oval challah pans, and put in 5 big balls of dough, somewhat staggered, when they bake, it looks just like it was braided.

Liba

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 6:28 pm
The molds are also huge, they take half of a five pound recipe of dough...

The braids themselves are usually made out of six strands, not just because they are pretty, because then the two loaves together are 12 like the loaves of the lechem hapanim.

My DH is makpid on the 12 so I make six balls and put them in each loaf pan. It is easier and quicker than braiding and they look nicer than a loaf from one piece, which is what I do for weekday bread.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 6:29 pm
Brekaway challa is really easy (round container, one ball in the middle and 5 balls around)
or you can just make one long piece of dough and roll it round and round, round challas can be eaten all year round! lol.

Pineapple

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 6:30 pm
Never tried the molds sorry

SS6099

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 8:38 pm
I buy the oval loaf pans and 3 braid my challahs. They come out beautiful.
I just read about the silicon loaf pans that shape the challah like braided. anyone tried that?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 8:55 pm
I often do large rolls instead of loaves, since my dh prefers the consistency. I roll out whatever size I want, knot, and place on baking sheet covered in parchment. It's pretty quick.

SRK

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 4:10 am
I recently used the molds and it wasnt difficult at all
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads