Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Would you apply for a job at a doctor's office that you use?

amother

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 6:03 am
Would you apply for a job at a doctor's office that you personally use? It seems like a really nice place to work and I am tempted but do not know if it is appropriate or not. What do you think?

yo'ma

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 6:42 am
Why not? What do you feel is the problem? Wouldn't someone who works in a pediatricians office use the doctor for their children? Wouldn't someone who works in an OB/GYN office use the doctor? It would be weird if they didn't and if others saw that they used a different doctor, they would wonder what was wrong with the doctor.

cm

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 6:59 am
This is a very personal question with no clear-cut answer.

If you would feel uncomfortable working with people who may be familiar with your personal issues, then don't. However, keep in mind that most people in the office probably don't know the details of each patient's case, and people who work in health care learn to be very discreet. There are laws about these things, and professional ethics too!

Some doctors specifically don't treat their employees because of the awkwardness that might come up - you might want to ask if there is an policy on this, either formal or informal.

I disagree with the previous response - whether or not you go to the doctor where you work is not a reflection of the doctor's reputation. Other patients will have no idea where you go to the doctor, and coworkers - if they care - will understand that other factors may be involved.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 6:39 pm
I agree that it's a very personal issue without a "one size fits all" answer. Without going into to much personal detail, I do work in healthcare and was a patient at the office prior to beginning here. While I have a confidential relationship with only one doctor now, it did cause a little bit if awkwardness initially with another. Overall it's fine but there are things I never would have guessed about the practice as a patient either. My words of advice are proceed with caution, because if you like the doctor and the job doesn't work out your stuck finding a new physician.

observer

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 6:45 pm
I would not use a doctor that I work for. So if I were to work in a doctor's office that I use, I would probably switch doctors. I think it's weird to have a relationship with a doctor- shmooze with him, have staff chats together, and then have him examine you. Also, be aware that all your colleagues would have access to your medical records.

It doesn't mean that you don't endorse and recommend that doctor- It just means that you are drawing a professional line.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics