Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is this a UTI? What can I do?

mamaleh

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 1:29 pm
My 5-1/2yo DD is going to the bathroom constantly (like every 20 minutes). She is not making very much & says she is not in pain. I'm having insurance issues right now, and would like to avoid going to the doctor for at least a few days, if possible. Does this sound like a UTI? Do I need to take her to the doctor or can I wait? Would giving her cranberry juice be helpful? Anything else I can do?
Thanks for your help!!!!

Jughead

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 2:56 pm
How long has this been going on? A day, a week, longer?
If it's only a recent thing and there's no pain, fever, or foul smell I don't think you have to worry.
Drinking lots of water (to irrigate the bladder) is always good for keeping the UT healthy.
But if you're really concerned, call the dr and see what he/she says.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 2:58 pm
My first thought is that without pain, it doesn't seem like UTI. When DD had one, she was going to the bathroom frequently and screaming/crying each time with pain

mamaleh

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 3:12 pm
I have been noticing it for a few days (maybe a week) but I just got confirmation from her Morah. My original thought was it was attention seeking as it started at night (coming out of bed to make then wanting me to say amen to her Asher Yatzar). We got rid of the attention aspect (told her to use a diff bathroom & say AY on her own) and then it started during the day as well (not sure which happened first). My DH was away so I thought maybe it was still an attention thing so I asked her morah. Yesterday she paid attention (last week was siddur party so things were a little hectic in class) and said she went 6x befor 10:30 (each time very quick, no extra attention, etc) so now I'm taking it more seriously. I guess for now we'll try cranberry juice & lots of water. Hopefully that will help!
Thanks!

mamalooshin

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 3:20 pm
I would also assume that a UTI would be accompanied with pain, but going every 20 minutes does not sound normal to me. I do think that at least a call to a doctor is in order. For how long is this going on? Can you attribute it to an increase in her liquid intake? I am not a doctor, and I certainly do not want to worry you, but there are other conditions that could possibly cause a person to need to urinate frequently.

mamaleh

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 3:25 pm
mamalooshin wrote:
I would also assume that a UTI would be accompanied with pain, but going every 20 minutes does not sound normal to me. I do think that at least a call to a doctor is in order. For how long is this going on? Can you attribute it to an increase in her liquid intake? I am not a doctor, and I certainly do not want to worry you, but there are other conditions that could possibly cause a person to need to urinate frequently.

I do not believe that there is an increase in urine output. She is making very little each time she goes. I am not so concerned that it is something more serious as she has no other symptoms.
My other dd has an appointment on thurs & I would like to wait till then to speak to the doc if I can.

mamalooshin

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 7:00 pm
Like I said, I am not a doctor. If it's going on for more than a day, I would call the doctor and ask if it's ok to wait until Thursday.

mamalooshin

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 11:12 am
Mamaleh, how's your daughter doing?

mamaleh

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 1:42 pm
Thanks for asking. We started giving her cranberry juice and I think she is doing better. I am more and more convinced that this is an attention/ boredom issue. Yesterday when I was working with her on a project she went over an hour withour 'going'. (She is also the perfect candidate for placebos, medicine usually 'helps' her as soon as she takes it- so the cranberry juice 'helped' right away)I will see how she does tonight and then (if needed) speak to the doc tomorrow.

mamalooshin

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 4:23 pm
BH! I imagine that if, in fact, it were an infection, she'd be feeling pain by now. But, it probably is a good idea to keep up with the cranberry juice until you see the doctor. Hope everything goes smoothly!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics