Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Need help organizing my recipe book... Suggestions please.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 05 2012, 3:24 pm
So story is my recipe book was overflowing so I had to separate my recipes into two different books.

I decided to separate it into Milchig and baking and the second book for fleishig.

For fleishig I was able to come up with the dividers:

Chicken, Meat, Fish, Soup, Salad, Dips, Kugels, Sides

But for my Milchig one I'm having difficulty.

I have so far..

Cookies, Cakes, Bread, Desserts for the baked section and then for the other food items I have

Soup, Salad, Fish, and Pasta But what about items such as quiche, rice kugel, Blintzes, pancakes or creamed spinach What would I name a sections that includes those. I don't mind having a lot of sections but cant think of what to name it. The names can't be too long. Cuz the dividers aren't that big.. about 8-9 letters max.

I appreciate any advice. I know this is not important in the scheme of things, but I like to be organized and I can't figure it out for the life of me.

I'd rather a better name for baked goods but baked goods doesnt fit on the divider so that's why I did two separate ones as cakes and cookies. I wasn't sure if doing one that says pastries would make sense for all baked items aside from bread?

Thanx in advance for any help with my dilemma.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 7:07 pm
I didn't do it that way. and I have tons of recipes !

I took a book just for mains and then separated it out into dairy, chopped meat, etc.

I also split desserts into baked goods and desserts, separately.

in another binder is side dishes - soups, salad, veggies, etc.

easier that way.

granolamom

Post Sat, Jun 09 2012, 10:03 pm
I like CM's way, because lots of your fleishig sections are probably also parve and can be used for milchig too. so I'd never know where to look for what. but do whatever seems logical and useful to you.
but to answer your question, I'd probably put in a 'brunch' section for quiche and pancakes and blinzes. the creamed spinach would go in 'vegetables' and the rice kugel in either 'kugels' or 'side dishes'

I use a card file system, most of my milchig recipes are lumped in 'dairy'.
I dont have so many cards though, most of my cooking is not based on recipes, especially not my dairy cooking.

amother

Post Sat, Jun 09 2012, 10:45 pm
Thank you both for your suggestions.. I thought I was doomed to disorganization... I will sleep on it!!! Glad we have these problems to take our mind off the real problems in life....

shanie5

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 10:59 am
I use mini photo albums. One is for proteins: start on one side for meats, the other for dairy, the middle for fish/parve.
2nd is for soups and salads
3rd is for kugels and side dishes
4th is for baked goods/desserts

They are different colors, so I ask my kids for the orange or pink etc recipe book.

1Life2Live

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 11:30 am
I have the following sections:
    soups
    salads
    side dishes (this includes kugels)
    main dishes
    desserts
    breads (ex: challah)
    dairy

Right now they are all in one binder with dividers. My mom has the same but with each category in a different binder.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen