Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 8:27 am
Would you feel more comfortable having a female plumber or electrician in your home rather than a male one?
I am thinking about studying/apprenticing in one of these fields and I was wondering if it was remotely worth it.

happybeingamom

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 10:08 am
I would have no problem with it and it sure would solve yichud problems.

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 10:19 am
I'd be neutral; if they have a good reputation and charge a fair rate I wouldn't care either way. For longer jobs, as pp brought up, a woman could be favorable because you wouldn't have yichud issues if you're the only one home.

imabima

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 10:36 am
If I need a repairman, I get one, but with that said, if a woman comes, I feel like it's a nice bonus.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 10:51 am
Yes, it would be great! Have hatzlacha!

mizle10

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 10:55 am
I would actually rather a male plumber/electrician.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:04 am
Id rather a male one. I would feel terrible to watch a lady, especially a frum one, working in my drains and sewers while I sit in my nice warm house all clean and happy.

Its not so much a womans job .

fruitsalad

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:04 am
for me this is very interesting embarrassed never heard of a female electrician\plumber

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:21 am
I would prefer it; no yichud issues (if I'm the one at home when she comes).

Raisin

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:25 am
chocolate chips wrote:
Id rather a male one. I would feel terrible to watch a lady, especially a frum one, working in my drains and sewers while I sit in my nice warm house all clean and happy.

Its not so much a womans job .

Huhh? Why is it any different than watching a woman clean your toilets and floors and iron shirts?

I wouldn't have a problem at all, although I do not think I have ever met one.

MrsDash

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:29 am
Sometimes the women becomes the electrician, and plumber by default Very Happy Instead of paying a lot of $$$ on every little thing, I'm the fix-it lady around here.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:34 am
In some ways yes but I don't know if I would trust her with my pipes Smile

amother

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:35 am
mizle10 wrote:
can you please explain why? I am the OP and I am just curious.

I forgot to mention that I am in Israel, if that makes a difference.

anon for this

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:38 am
yoshi wrote:
Sometimes the women becomes the electrician, and plumber by default Very Happy Instead of paying a lot of $$$ on every little thing, I'm the fix-it lady around here.

How did you figure that stuff out? I don't know how to do any type of repairs, but I'd like to learn.

grace413

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:41 am
My male plumber has told me several times that he thinks a female plumber/electrician could do very well here in Israel. He says a lot of his clients do "shminiyot b'avir" to figure out when he can come when the husband will home.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:42 am
I know women that do it electric and plumbing but only minor jobs. When an electrician has an apprentice, the apprentice is the one who is going to carry the tools or work on a roof when is 120f outside.

mizle10

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:59 am
amother wrote:
mizle10 wrote:

I would be very skeptical that she would know what she was doing. I'm a real sexist. The same way I'm not comfortable with male cleaning help (which is so common in Israel) I wouldn't be comfortable with a female electrician. However, I'm probably in the minority and I see how people would be very happy to have this available.

MrsDash

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 12:03 pm
anon for this wrote:
yoshi wrote:

How did you figure that stuff out? I don't know how to do any type of repairs, but I'd like to learn.

Growing up, we always did stuff around the house. Fixing things here, and there. I got on the job "training."

I actually enjoy it Very Happy

amother

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 12:12 pm
mizle10 wrote:
amother wrote:
mizle10 wrote:

I would be very skeptical that she would know what she was doing. I'm a real sexist. The same way I'm not comfortable with male cleaning help (which is so common in Israel) I wouldn't be comfortable with a female electrician. However, I'm probably in the minority and I see how people would be very happy to have this available.
OP - Its funny that you feel this way. I dont really get it, but then again, I have a cleaning GUY that comes. He does the best job in the world and Ive had my share of cleaning help.

But why would you be skeptical that she would know what she is doing? If she learned from someone or took a course (if there is such a thing)? Why would it not be like any joe shmoe but it would be josephina instead?

Raisin

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 12:18 pm
Actually I would assume that a women who goes into such a field really LOVEs the job and is not just doing it by default eg because dad is a plumber or there was nothing better to do.

The thing is, while I might be fine with a female plumber you've got to accept that some people are sexist. men and women. But this might be outweighed by the yichud issue.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics