Home

A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother









  
Post Posted: Mon, Jun 11 2012, 8:27 am       Post subject: A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
Would you feel more comfortable having a female plumber or electrician in your home rather than a male one?
I am thinking about studying/apprenticing in one of these fields and I was wondering if it was remotely worth it.
Back to top

happybeingamom









  
Post Posted: Mon, Jun 11 2012, 10:08 am       Post subject: re: A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
I would have no problem with it and it sure would solve yichud problems.
Back to top

seeker









  
Post Posted: Mon, Jun 11 2012, 10:19 am       Post subject: re: A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
I'd be neutral; if they have a good reputation and charge a fair rate I wouldn't care either way. For longer jobs, as pp brought up, a woman could be favorable because you wouldn't have yichud issues if you're the only one home.
Back to top

imabima









  
Post Posted: Mon, Jun 11 2012, 10:36 am       Post subject: re: A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
If I need a repairman, I get one, but with that said, if a woman comes, I feel like it's a nice bonus.
Back to top

Rubber Ducky









  
Post Posted: Mon, Jun 11 2012, 10:51 am       Post subject: re: A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
Yes, it would be great! Have hatzlacha!
Back to top

mizle10









  
Post Posted: Mon, Jun 11 2012, 10:55 am       Post subject: re: A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
I would actually rather a male plumber/electrician.
_________________
Smile there, aint you glad your living:)
Back to top

chocolate chips









  
Post Posted: Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:04 am       Post subject: re: A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
Id rather a male one. I would feel terrible to watch a lady, especially a frum one, working in my drains and sewers while I sit in my nice warm house all clean and happy.

Its not so much a womans job .
_________________
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Back to top

fruitsalad









  
Post Posted: Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:04 am       Post subject: re: A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
for me this is very interesting Embarassed never heard of a female electrician\plumber
Back to top

DrMom









  
Post Posted: Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:21 am       Post subject: re: A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
I would prefer it; no yichud issues (if I'm the one at home when she comes).
Back to top

Raisin









  
Post Posted: Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:25 am       Post subject: Re: re: A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
chocolate chips wrote:
Id rather a male one. I would feel terrible to watch a lady, especially a frum one, working in my drains and sewers while I sit in my nice warm house all clean and happy.

Its not so much a womans job .


Huhh? Why is it any different than watching a woman clean your toilets and floors and iron shirts?

I wouldn't have a problem at all, although I do not think I have ever met one.
Back to top

MrsDash









  
Post Posted: Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:29 am       Post subject: re: A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
Sometimes the women becomes the electrician, and plumber by default Very Happy Instead of paying a lot of $$$ on every little thing, I'm the fix-it lady around here.
Back to top

amother









  
Post Posted: Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:34 am       Post subject: re: A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
In some ways yes but I don't know if I would trust her with my pipes Smile
Back to top

amother









  
Post Posted: Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:35 am       Post subject: Re: re: A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
mizle10 wrote:
I would actually rather a male plumber/electrician.
can you please explain why? I am the OP and I am just curious.


I forgot to mention that I am in Israel, if that makes a difference.
Back to top

anon for this









  
Post Posted: Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:38 am       Post subject: Re: re: A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
yoshi wrote:
Sometimes the women becomes the electrician, and plumber by default Very Happy Instead of paying a lot of $$$ on every little thing, I'm the fix-it lady around here.

How did you figure that stuff out? I don't know how to do any type of repairs, but I'd like to learn.
Back to top

grace413









  
Post Posted: Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:41 am       Post subject: re: A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
My male plumber has told me several times that he thinks a female plumber/electrician could do very well here in Israel. He says a lot of his clients do "shminiyot b'avir" to figure out when he can come when the husband will home.
Back to top

amother









  
Post Posted: Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:42 am       Post subject: re: A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
I know women that do it electric and plumbing but only minor jobs. When an electrician has an apprentice, the apprentice is the one who is going to carry the tools or work on a roof when is 120f outside.
Back to top

mizle10









  
Post Posted: Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:59 am       Post subject: Re: re: A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
amother wrote:
mizle10 wrote:
I would actually rather a male plumber/electrician.
can you please explain why? I am the OP and I am just curious.


I forgot to mention that I am in Israel, if that makes a difference.


I would be very skeptical that she would know what she was doing. I'm a real sexist. The same way I'm not comfortable with male cleaning help (which is so common in Israel) I wouldn't be comfortable with a female electrician. However, I'm probably in the minority and I see how people would be very happy to have this available.
Back to top

MrsDash









  
Post Posted: Mon, Jun 11 2012, 12:03 pm       Post subject: Re: re: A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
anon for this wrote:
yoshi wrote:
Sometimes the women becomes the electrician, and plumber by default Very Happy Instead of paying a lot of $$$ on every little thing, I'm the fix-it lady around here.

How did you figure that stuff out? I don't know how to do any type of repairs, but I'd like to learn.


Growing up, we always did stuff around the house. Fixing things here, and there. I got on the job "training."

I actually enjoy it Very Happy
Back to top

amother









  
Post Posted: Mon, Jun 11 2012, 12:12 pm       Post subject: Re: re: A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
mizle10 wrote:
amother wrote:
mizle10 wrote:
I would actually rather a male plumber/electrician.
can you please explain why? I am the OP and I am just curious.


I forgot to mention that I am in Israel, if that makes a difference.


I would be very skeptical that she would know what she was doing. I'm a real sexist. The same way I'm not comfortable with male cleaning help (which is so common in Israel) I wouldn't be comfortable with a female electrician. However, I'm probably in the minority and I see how people would be very happy to have this available.
OP - Its funny that you feel this way. I dont really get it, but then again, I have a cleaning GUY that comes. He does the best job in the world and Ive had my share of cleaning help.

But why would you be skeptical that she would know what she is doing? If she learned from someone or took a course (if there is such a thing)? Why would it not be like any joe shmoe but it would be josephina instead?
Back to top

Raisin









  
Post Posted: Mon, Jun 11 2012, 12:18 pm       Post subject: re: A female plumber/electrician vs a male one...
Actually I would assume that a women who goes into such a field really LOVEs the job and is not just doing it by default eg because dad is a plumber or there was nothing better to do.

The thing is, while I might be fine with a female plumber you've got to accept that some people are sexist. men and women. But this might be outweighed by the yichud issue.
Back to top
View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women
Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Similar Topics Replies Last Post
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. male/ female gender
by technic
13 Mon, May 23 2005, 2:30 pm View latest post
by Yael
No new posts Hashem - Male or Female? 11 Wed, Nov 09 2005, 5:03 am View latest post
No new posts shulem bayis: male vs. female brain :)
by GOODMOM
15 Thu, Jan 03 2008, 8:01 pm View latest post
No new posts How is getting drunk tznius - male or female? 15 Tue, Mar 02 2010, 11:59 am View latest post
No new posts WWYd if female car service driver displayed male license? 12 Mon, Oct 21 2013, 7:36 pm View latest post


Jump to:  





Report offensive ad