Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Make-ahead food for shabbos

cbt

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 10:22 am
I'm having a lot of company for shabbos and want to try to make things ahead and freeze. What freezes well besides fish and kugel and deli roll and is also healthy?

questioner

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 10:47 am
challah
soup
zucchini in tomato sauce

anon for this

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 10:48 am
I freeze concentrated chicken broth. I reconsitute it & add fresh vegetables on erev shabbos. I remove the fat before freezing, though some prefer to remove it after.

I also freeze challah. You can freeze already baked challah, but I freeze the loaves right after forming them, before the second rising. I let the loaves thaw/ rise for a few hours on erev shabbos before baking.

We also like kishke in the cholent, so I prepare and freeze that as well. The recipe I use calls for eggs and oil, so it isn't especially healthy, but it is gluten-free.

smss

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 10:48 am
Well those are the main things I freeze. Smile

I heard you can freeze lukshen (for the soup) but haven't tried it. You can prepare the chicken and cholent Thurs. afternoon/night and then just bake it Friday.

cbt

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 11:10 am
Thanks everyone! This is helping already. Any chicken dishes that I can freeze?

Imma2+2

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 11:15 am
I freeze any chicken dish in sauce, but haven't tried it if I have veggies or potatoes. I'm not sure the veggies would defrost and reheat without losing their texture.

imabima

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 11:19 am
I make 5 or 6 of one thing and freeze it uncooked then bake it erev Shabbos.

sweet potato pie
cranberry apple crisp
chicken

cbt

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 11:26 am
imabima wrote:

sweet potato pie
cranberry apple crisp
chicken

You don't bake the crisp and then freeze it? How do you prepare the chicken? Do you also freeze it uncooked?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 12:08 pm
We're not picky eaters but I've found that my go to chicken recipes don't defrost and reheat well. (Roast does, marvelously.) What I do is buy fresh chicken, marinate and coat it, freeze it, then put it in the oven about an hour or less earlier than normal.

You can also prep food in stages - peel vegetables one day and leave in water, or make a marinated salad or dressings that'll keep well, etc.

SS6099

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 12:30 pm
Prepared chicken cutlets comes out great if you freeze it all prepared and ready to pop into the oven on friday: Chicken pastrami rollups, breaded chicken cutlets, etc...

cinnamon

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 1:05 pm
smss wrote:
Well those are the main things I freeze. Smile

I heard you can freeze lukshen (for the soup) but haven't tried it. You can prepare the chicken and cholent Thurs. afternoon/night and then just bake it Friday.

I do that (cook a whole bag of thin lukshen and then freeze in portions) I take it out friday morning and put it untop of the soup pot to warm. We can't tell the difference.

I also freeze formed uncooked kneidlach and through them in the soup for the last hour of cooking.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 1:45 pm
cbt wrote:

Any kind of chicken is best frozen raw, prepared. Meaning, cleaned in 1 layer in the pan with the appropriate breading or sauce on top. Then it go right into the oven.

r_ch

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 2:22 pm
cbt wrote:
I'm having a lot of company for shabbos and want to try to make things ahead and freeze. What freezes well besides fish and kugel and deli roll and is also healthy?

Challe, chicken soup, kneidlech, gefilte fish, cakes - you name it!Smile I freeze everything except salads. I even freeze cholent and meat with veggies, but without fluids so that it takes less room in the freezer. I do so normally for yom tov, if it falls on after shabbos or vice versa for shabbos after yom tov, take it out, heat it up, add water and voila.

r_ch

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 2:24 pm
cbt wrote:

Yes. I freeze plain baked chicken as well. Then you can add whatever you want, and it takes less time.

SS6099

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 3:01 pm
r_ch wrote:
cbt wrote:

Challe, chicken soup, kneidlech, gefilte fish, cakes - you name it!Smile I freeze everything except salads. I even freeze cholent and meat with veggies, but without fluids so that it takes less room in the freezer. I do so normally for yom tov, if it falls on after shabbos or vice versa for shabbos after yom tov, take it out, heat it up, add water and voila.

Freezing cholent grosses me out Sad

r_ch

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 3:14 pm
ds6099 wrote:
r_ch wrote:
cbt wrote:

Freezing cholent grosses me out Sad

Fine with me:) Enjoy yours.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 3:25 pm
chicken soup (though veggies go somewhat soft)
Rice, pasta (potatoes don't freeze well)
Meatloaf (healthier if you do 50/50 beef and turkey)
Schnitzel (breaded and fried)
Braised lamb/brisket (healthier as you can lift off fat on the top)
Cholent
Ratatouille

Sorbet
Cake (personally I won't freeze crumble)

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 5:17 pm
cbt wrote:
imabima wrote:

sweet potato pie
cranberry apple crisp
chicken

You don't bake the crisp and then freeze it? How do you prepare the chicken? Do you also freeze it uncooked?

I always freeze apple or cranberry crisp raw. It comes out much better that way.

smss

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 7:58 am
OOTBubby wrote:
cbt wrote:

Any kind of chicken is best frozen raw, prepared. Meaning, cleaned in 1 layer in the pan with the appropriate breading or sauce on top. Then it go right into the oven.

OOTBubby, you put it in the oven frozen or defrost it first?
Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note