Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
My issue with olive oil

lamplighter

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 3:57 pm
I know olive oil is the healthy oil, and every cooking show uses it, every cookbook recipe includes it but I hate the taste.
It has a very distinct taste and there are a particular few things that the taste works with otherwise it takes over the general flavor and the dish taste reminiscent of something out of a car mechanic.
Am I weird? Does anyone else know what I mean?

I think I would use it more if it was a milder oil (and less expensive Confused)
I noticed the store sells, light olive oil, does that have the same health benefits? Is that the version people use? Doesn't seem so from the cooking shows.....

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 4:08 pm
Light olive oil has a less distinctive taste.

cookielady

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 4:12 pm
I can't stand the extra virgin olive oil. It tastes like menorah. I do like the extra light olive oil. As far as it being just as healthy or not, I'm not sure.

gggo

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 5:22 pm
the menorah and car mechanic is because you are using chemically processed olive oil.

Did you know by law, if there is some "extra virgin olive oil" mixed into a bottle of chemically processed olive oil, the bottle the manufacturers can legally call it "extra virgin olive oil"?

I have bottles of all those fake "extra virgin olive oil" (even bertolli olive oil is yuck) saved for the next five chanukahs.

For a great olive oil flavor you want Cold Pressed extra virgin olive oil.

I found zeta cold pressed at KRM. We love it. It is especially delicious in the potato kugel

here is a link of the product

http://www.allinkosher.com/p-5......aspx

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 5:41 pm
EVOO gives me a night long headache if I use it. (The smell...on Chanukah I suffer Sad )
I use light/mild OO which definitely is healthier than other oils. I never looked to see if I am missing out compared to EVOO, but if I'm not using EVOO, it's better to use than canola.
There is no strong taste or smell with it, and I use it all the time.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 6:14 pm
Extra light olive oil has no distint flavor.
Do not buy the extra virgin olive oil which has a very strong flavor.

Happy18

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 6:18 pm
I like extra light olive oil for salad dressing, I keep evoo around for things where I wont notice the taste as much so I still feel like I get the health benefits.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 6:30 pm
I use classic or extra light for everything except baking, and I don't find the taste to be overwhelming. EVOO turns me off. I really need to switch to a healthier baking oil- I've been using canola til now. . . it's hard when I'm using half a cup at a time and the oil costs so much. . . but worth it I think. Maybe I just need to cut down on oil altogether lol.

LAmom613

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 11:39 pm
Canola oil has immense health benefits and I think tastes much better for those EVOO haters.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics