Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Treadmill In Apt. Bldg.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 6:31 pm
Is there an acceptable time limit till when you are allowed to use a treadmill in an apt. building?

NYmommy

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 6:45 pm
I asked my neighbor who lives in the apartment under mine. My upstairs neighbor uses the traedmill till 11 PM & is 'extremely' annoying!

Happy 2B

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 7:11 pm
The person under me asked me not to buy one Sad A private house!
I don't want to listen but what can I do....

I don't want to be a bad person but isn't my health important....

peppermint

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 7:35 pm
I think noisy machines, like washing washing and treadmills, can be used till 10pm.

NYmommy

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 7:47 pm
peppermint wrote:
I think noisy machines, like washing washing and treadmills, can be used till 10pm.

Not if the treadmill is used in room above kids room

amother

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 8:06 pm
OP. It is above their master bedroom. I thought 10PM sounds acceptable. I would rather not discuss it with my downstairs neighbor. Just wanted to do what is "acceptable".

My neighbor has one baby. She called me recently and asked me if possible if I can keep my two young boys quiet/no running around in the morning cuz she wants to sleep late. Um, no? They don't sleep/move around over her master bedroom and kids are kids and make noise. There is no way of keeping kids quiet. (They are not doing crazy things. Just regular kid stuff/movements.)

amother

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 8:59 pm
is it unreasonable to ask someone not to get one at all? if you live on top of them in a private house..
that even during the day we can't use it?

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 1:51 am
amother wrote:
is it unreasonable to ask someone not to get one at all? if you live on top of them in a private house..
that even during the day we can't use it?

I don't think that is a reasonable request. if they are the landlord I guess they can make unreasonable requests, but otherwise no.

Mrs.K

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 4:15 am
Would a thick rug help?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 8:24 am
Our treadmill was over my neighbor's kids bedroom. I would only let dh use it during the day. and then she complained about that... cause she babysits and COULD have kids sleeping there during the day.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 8:58 am
I grew up in a social apatment/project whatever it is called in English lol. We never heard washing machines but we did hear (rowdy) kids running, sometimes.

CatLady

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 9:33 am
They sell soundproofing mats for exercise equipment. I googled and found a bunch of them, with various specifications, as well as some mats intended for heavy industrial equipment. Using one of those, I'd think the only sound you'd hear would be me singing along to the tunes on my iPod!

Fox

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 10:55 am
I'm usually in the "suck it up and quit whining" school of thought when it comes to enduring the routine noise that life generates. But treadmills really are in a separate category from kids and all but the most ancient washing machines. They are not only incredibly noisy, but they seem to literally shake the entire structure. I'm surprised landlords allow them at all.

ElTam

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 2:37 pm
I would not have a treadmill in an apartment. It is not the same kind of noise as a child playing. They are loud and every stride shakes the floor.

finprof

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 3:58 pm
I had a treadmill in my old apt. I asked the neighbors if they could hear it, they said the couldn't so I never worried about it but I would have limited my use if they had asked
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette