Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Romaine vs other lettuce checking

mbk

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 10:52 pm
Hi ladies. I am wondering how to properly check romaine lettuce that I buy fresh ( not bagged). I usually check each leaf and then wash them and cut them for a delicious fresh salad. My friend mentioned that maybe I should only eat the bagged salad due to infestation concerns. Is she right?> or, can somebody kindly tell me how to properly check it.? also, I LOVE boston lettuce , but I noticed that lately it says on the package that its greenhouse grown. Is that as nutritious as regular romaine>? thanks for replying to my "lettuce confusion"

Crayon210

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 10:59 pm
Lots of rabbonim say that bagged salad has to be checked, although possibly in a different way.

Meema2Kids

According to cRc you have to use soap to get the bugs off. They don't let go with just water. What they recommend is to fill a container with water, then put a few drops of dish soap in and swish it around. Rinse each leaf then put them in the soap water. Leave them in for a few minutes (there should be enough room so the soap water can get to all the leaves).

Take the lettuce out of the soap water. Check the water for bugs and if there are any, repeat with the soap water. Check 3 leaves to make sure it worked.

Last edited by Meema2Kids on Tue, Nov 14 2006, 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

malkie

You can check out this veggie checking guide from the OK. It is really helpful.http://www.ok.org (click the top of the page to download)[/url]

Esther01

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 11:00 pm
about the romain lettuce, this is the way I do it and I learned it from my mom. first you rinse it well. then you check each leaf by a light, cut it up and have a yummy salad.

the bagged ones are probably cleaner but you still need to check them.

I never heard of the boston lettuce, so sorry can't help you with that

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 11:02 pm
it is recommended that you soak the separated leaves in soapy water ( with suds from dishwashing liquid) for a few minutes, wash each leaf separately under a stream of running water from the faucet. Then check. Using a light box is the best way to check.

I hold the leaves up to a strong light to check, and look at both sides.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 10:14 am
I'd wash and then check.

mbk

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 10:41 am
thanks to all of you for your responses. I guess ill fill container with a drop or two of dishwashing soap and let for 1-2 min then rinse and check . thanks ...if only dieting was easier...I practically live on salads...

queen

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 11:33 am
Interesting that you posted this thread as I've had enough of the iceburg lettuce prepackaged mixed with carrots. Can't stand the way it tastes so I've begun washing/checking my own.
It IS a job, but now I'm enjoying having my lettuce salads again!!!!!

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 11:54 am
We eat a lot of salads too. I try to check a whole lot at one time and then store it in zip loc bags. If I get the lettuce pretty dry and take all the air out of the bags, it lasts for quite awhile - like a week. And if it starts to turn, well that's an excuse to eat another salad right away.

DH won't eat the iceberg lettuce. But I find I can stretch the green salad by adding the bagged shredded cabbage which doesn't have to be checked.

mbk

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 12:41 am
thanks to all of you, especially malkie..great link ..I just downloaded it! thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen