Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Train commute with baby

SacN

Post Fri, Jun 22 2012, 3:50 pm
I have a City Mini and a becco baby carrier.

In September, I will be commuting to work on the bus/train with my then 10 month old, and will continue to do so all school year. She will be with me where I work.

I've taken her on the train before, mostly with the carrier and no stroller, but once used the stroller. It was manageable, though I imagine during rush hour it will take up enough space to annoy people if unfolded.

Do I need a second (cheaper, reclining umbrella) stroller? She needs a stroller during the day to nap with the babysitter, so I could either bring one back and forth or bring her in the carrier and keep one stroller at work.
I'm nervous that as she gets older, she will be less interested in being confined in the carrier, and I'm nervous that the city mini is too large for the train (especially at rush hour!)
Most reclining umbrella strollers are not so so cheap, and are almost equally as heavy as my city mini, so I want to be sure before I purchase something.

Anyone with experience?

happy chick

Post Fri, Jun 22 2012, 4:02 pm
how about leaving a pac-n-play at work? it is very easy to fold up and pack away if you have to do that every day. then you can take her in an umbrealla stroller, the cheap kind that you could find for $25.

Alef Bais

Post Fri, Jun 22 2012, 4:07 pm
I used my Maclaren all the time on the trains. However, I don't think a City Mini is so much bigger than a Maclaren. Also, you need something that folds really easily for the bus and I think the City Mini is the easiest and fastest! I have seen people with City Minis on trains. Maybe try it out a little more and then decide if it works for you or not, to see if you need to get an umbrella stroller?

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 22 2012, 4:51 pm
happy chick wrote:
how about leaving a pac-n-play at work? it is very easy to fold up and pack away if you have to do that every day. then you can take her in an umbrealla stroller, the cheap kind that you could find for $25.

This. It will be more comfortable for her to nap in, too. I don't know about the City Mini but on my Maclaren you can't raise the footrest, DD doesn't like to sleep with her feet dangling...
Also if your back can handle it, I wouldn't worry so much about her feeling too confined in the carrier. I see kids of all ages in them, and I feel SO much more secure taking a baby in a carrier than in a stroller on public transportation.

SacN

Post Fri, Jun 22 2012, 6:47 pm
I wish--my baby would never, and has never slept in a packnplay. Not for lack of trying on my part, either.

Thanks for the tips--the Maclaren type (though, I wouldn't spend that much on a 2nd stroller, im looking cheaper/used) looks so much more compact than my city mini, which is why I thought of it. If I can leave the baby in the stroller, I feel like in that theres a possibility of having room. I think in the cm I would need to fold it and have her in my lap--which she might not have patience for, as she gets older.

I like using my carrier, but that doesnt solve the place for her to sleep problem, plus she might be too heavy. at 7 months, it's great, but at 14 0r 18? I'm not so sure.

seeker

Post Sat, Jun 23 2012, 10:42 pm
Go to a store that sells strollers and compare the City Mini and Maclaren side-by-side. Then you can REALLY see what YOU feel comfortable folding, holding/carrying, pushing, etc.

chocolate chips

Post Sat, Jun 23 2012, 11:13 pm
I am thinking a city mini is fine.

First of all, in another couple months she will start to want to look around and not enjoy the carrier.
Second, if you cannot get a seat in rush hour your back will start to hurt standing and going up and down stairs with a 15month old baby on you!
Also, people hate all types of things, most people generally hate rush hour on the subway, there is nothing wrong or illegal about bringing your stroller onto a subway at any time of the day! A city mini is not that big and besides at least you will always know that you have a bit of space to stand because you have the stroller.

The only reason against the stroller is the stairs to and from the subway, that said, going up and down holding a baby is not easy either and people usually help with a stroller.

bnm

Post Sat, Jun 23 2012, 11:39 pm
I've gone with the City Mini on the subway during rush hour, wasn't bad. people where very nice and helped with the million steps.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 12:10 am
Just a tip, whenever I've taken DD on the subway with a stroller, I always bring a sling/carrier as well and pop her in when we're up to the steps. I don't feel the safest bopping the stroller up/down with the baby still inside, and if I do need to carry the stroller myself or participate in carrying it, it's easier with the baby in the carrier. Same for the bus, you need to fold the stroller on the bus and it's soooo much easier when baby's in the carrier! Otherwise you need a hand for the baby, while folding the stroller one-handed, then get both of them onto the bus, pay with your third hand, and then keep a hand on each the whole time. Ouch.

ewa-jo

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 2:23 am
Just a thought... I actually hate baby carriers (sooo shleppy!) so if it's something like running a small errand, then I just hold the baby on my lap and carry her in my arms. If it's not some huge distance to walk, just walk around holding your baby.. and then sit them on your lap when you take the train.

Is it possible to keep a stroller by the babysitter for the week?

The less stuff you travel with, the better!

SacN

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 7:39 am
Thanks for all your help! It would be possibly for me to just carry the baby and leave the stroller at work. I'm just worried I'll need the stroller for groceries or something. I guess I could buy a cheapo umbrella stroller for emergencies at home though...

I guess I'll see as the school year starts how things go. I can always change what I'm doing if it gets more difficult.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 8:31 am
I think it depends on the specific commute. For example, for a while I was commuting to the UES from Brooklyn every morning at around 8. I got the q at ave j, which has a gazillion steps- HORRIBLE with a stroller, trust me. Then I transferred to the 1-2-3. It was a roundabout transfer, also involving up and down steps, but the station there was a mob. The 1-2-3 trains were so crowded I couldn't always get onto the first one that came. There was definitely no room for a stroller. It was wall to wall standing room only like sardines.

However, other lines are not quite as congested. So it depends.

SacN

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 11:00 am
I'm taking a bus to the E or F coming from queens, and then transferring either to the 1,2,3 or the b,c lines up to the UWS. Not tons of stairs, but some, and often the E and F are packed worse than sardines--which is why I was thinking my city mini just wouldn't fit. It's not a ton of walking, so like Ewa-Jo said, maybe I can just carry her and keep her on my lap, and have a stroller at work. I guess I'll try every option first, and buy a stroller after attempting everything else, if need be.

I know I'm probably crazy to schlep a baby in that, but it means I can see her during the day, nurse her, and pay for cheap but good babysitting (minus my commute time!), and that I get to spend those two hours a day with my baby. I think it's worth the pain--I just can't imagine rainy/snowy days! I could take an express bus, but I think that might take me even longer to get to work!

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 11:05 am
Wow that is some commute to do with a baby! I guess to each her own, but I'd probably opt for express bus so I could just SIT there and not do three transfers even if I have to leave earlier! But if it works for you, kol hakavod!

spring13

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 12:04 pm
Ok, I know City Minis fold easily, but no way are they compact enough for a bus/train at rush hour, and there's no way you'd catch me shlepping one up and down steps at rush hour either. Seriously, this is one case where a City Mini is NOT your best choice. I've been on public transport at rush hour, and no, people really won't appreciate you taking up more than your share of space and time. Be considerate of your fellow commuters and find another option.

Look on Craigslist for better quality umbrella strollers. If you can find a Bumbleride Flite, for example, that would do you at least as well as a Maclaren. Or you could get an inexpensive reclining stroller (like a Graco) to keep at the babysitter's for nap time. A nice roomy Graco would probably be way more comfy for naps than even the nicest umbrella stroller.

An option is to put LO in the Beco on your back, which most little kids love; they can still see things, and its very comfy for both of you as she gets heavier. Honestly, I'd at least try going with just the carrier a few times, and keeping a cheap stroller at the babysitter.

I've made that commute. NO WAY would I do it without something to help carry/hold the baby. It's totally unrealistic to just carry her (and, presumably, a diaper bag and purse) for that amount of time and distance.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 12:10 pm
No way will a stroller make sense- any stroller. If you are set on taking the baby, I would use a carrier, no question. Honestly, I wouldn't even do that, but you made that choice. My travel time to work is pretty much my only alone time all day, and I enjoy it.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 12:26 pm
I go with a stroller on the subway all the time. If you carriage has good wheels then its easier getting it up and down the stairs.

SacN

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 12:54 pm
Quote:
Be considerate of your fellow commuters and find another option.

This is why I even contemplated getting another stroller--because I know no one will appreciate a big stroller on the train at rush hour. I do hope this statement was intended just to help me out--but don't worry. I've commuted before, and I know how people like their 2 square inches of space and would be loathe to give it up for a stroller.

I've done the commute with a baby before (not at rush hour), which is why I think I can do it altogether. I will switch to an express bus if it becomes impossible, or even drive in, if need be. However, I'm a teacher, and my work gives us a transit check for regular train/bus service, but nothing more.
Seeing as I already pay a babysitter, I want to come home with as much of my paycheck as I can--not spend it on my commute. Especially given that the express bus takes an hour to get to midtown, and then I have to still get on a train uptown--adding another 20 minutes to my commute, or I'd have to sit in traffic/find or pay for parking (probably while listening to my baby scream--she hates the car).

Maybe I'm nuts to do it, but I'm going to try. I think it's worth it. I just wanted to know how to best go about it. I have a carrier, which I'm not afraid to use, and I have a great stroller that may be too big, but does fold easily. It sounds like my best bet is to try for the baby carrier (on my front, back, side, whatever), leave a stroller at work, and take it from there. Assuming it doesn't kill my back and that my baby stays entertained, that should work just fine. I can leave a big diaper bag at work, and just bring a couple diapers, a change of clothes, and small thing of wipes on the train.

And--I get my me time while I prep my classroom and clean up, and after baby goes to sleep for the night. It works for me. She refuses a bottle and, so far, food, so it's pretty much impossible for me to be away from her all day. I love my time with her, and am looking forward to having this time as well.

Thanks again ladies for all your help!

spring13

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 3:04 pm
SacN wrote:
Quote:
Be considerate of your fellow commuters and find another option.

This is why I even contemplated getting another stroller--because I know no one will appreciate a big stroller on the train at rush hour. I do hope this statement was intended just to help me out--but don't worry. I've commuted before, and I know how people like their 2 square inches of space and would be loathe to give it up for a stroller.

I've done the commute with a baby before (not at rush hour), which is why I think I can do it altogether. I will switch to an express bus if it becomes impossible, or even drive in, if need be. However, I'm a teacher, and my work gives us a transit check for regular train/bus service, but nothing more.
Seeing as I already pay a babysitter, I want to come home with as much of my paycheck as I can--not spend it on my commute. Especially given that the express bus takes an hour to get to midtown, and then I have to still get on a train uptown--adding another 20 minutes to my commute, or I'd have to sit in traffic/find or pay for parking (probably while listening to my baby scream--she hates the car).

Maybe I'm nuts to do it, but I'm going to try. I think it's worth it. I just wanted to know how to best go about it. I have a carrier, which I'm not afraid to use, and I have a great stroller that may be too big, but does fold easily. It sounds like my best bet is to try for the baby carrier (on my front, back, side, whatever), leave a stroller at work, and take it from there. Assuming it doesn't kill my back and that my baby stays entertained, that should work just fine. I can leave a big diaper bag at work, and just bring a couple diapers, a change of clothes, and small thing of wipes on the train.

And--I get my me time while I prep my classroom and clean up, and after baby goes to sleep for the night. It works for me. She refuses a bottle and, so far, food, so it's pretty much impossible for me to be away from her all day. I love my time with her, and am looking forward to having this time as well.

Thanks again ladies for all your help!

I'm sorry if my post came across as mean, I really didn't mean it that way. It's clear that you're trying to work out the best option; I wasn't trying to make you feel bad, just to offer suggestions. Your reasons for commuting the way you do make total sense, and I'd do the same in your boat. Let us know what works out best in the end!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics