Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby has one eye pupil larger than the other

supermom11

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 8:20 pm
my LO is 6 wks old and I just noticed this. Not taking him for a checkup for another two weeks. Wondering if this is serious enough that I should call the doctor. Has anyone had experience with this?

faigie

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 8:26 pm
Do the pupils both contract to light exposure?

avimom

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 8:45 pm
I was convinced my baby had this problem. When visiting the eye doctor with my older son, I asked him about it and he told me if I'm concerned I can schedule an appointment. I did and the doctor measured my son's pupils. Turns out his eyes were the same size but the shape of his eyelids are different so they look like they're different sizes (he's four now and they still seem like different sizes, especially when he's tired.) Our major hashgacha story is that when we took him to the eye doctor that first time as an infant, the doctor discovered he needs glasses! We would have never known otherwise until he was older at which point it would have harder to correct his astigmatism (this has nothing to do with the size of his eyes... just a story I like to tell over!)

gardengirl

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 8:49 pm
My daughter has had it since birth. Its called anisocoria. As long as he has always had it, its nothing to be alarmed about, but you have to let any Dr. that sees him know that he has always had it and that it's not new. In the case of my daughter, who is now a teenager, it went away and both pupils are evened out.
It's probably a good idea to get a proper diagnosis from the Dr.

naomi2

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 9:02 pm
I would call the pediatrician tomorrow and ask if you should visit an eye dr. abnormal pupils may be a sign of a problem in the brain (the brain is not sending a messege to the muscle to contract/expand normally)

supermom11

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 9:07 pm
faigie wrote:

yes

faigie

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 9:27 pm
OK thats good. Some people are just born that way. Go to doc to get it checked out and confirmed.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 10:08 am
faigie wrote:
I had that with my 4 yr old, but it was only one eye and he has/d cataracts.

supermom11

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 4:49 pm
I just spoke to my pediatrician. He claims its not something to be concerned about if hes not showing any other symptoms and he is eating, sleeping, etc normally.... He didnt think twas necessary to make nervous for no reason by telling me what it could be a sign for or what symptoms to look out for. He said some kids just are born with it.
but I can take him to an eye doctor which I will do right away. From what I hear by looking around, I dont think its a very common thing so I'm a bit concerned.
If anyone else has ever experienced this please let me know

medola

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 8:31 pm
Hi OP- Just wanted to chime in... My pupils are completely different sizes from each other, and have been that way since I was born. It's never bothered me growing up, although in 3rd grade or so when I got glasses, my prescription was very different between my two eyes. Now it's at like -2.25 for my good eye and -3.75 for the bigger pupil one... So chances are if your DC does need glasses in the future, you might find the prescription strength to be different. Other than that, it's actually kind of neat and has never caused any issues for me. :-)

supermom11

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 9:47 pm
thank you medola that calmed me down a bit Wink

amother

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 11:45 pm
I dont think there is anything to worry about. My dh has it since he's a baby. I have 2 ds's who were born like this. With my older one my dr told me just to be safe to have it checked out by an eye dr, we did and everything was ok. Now by my second ds I just made sure to let the dr know that they should put it into their file.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 11:51 pm
I dont think there is anything to worry about. My dh has it since he's a baby. I have 2 ds's who were born like this. With my older one my dr told me just to be safe to have it checked out by an eye dr, we did and everything was ok. Now by my second ds I just made sure to let the dr know that they should put it into their file.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 11:52 pm

amother

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 12:09 am
sorry for triple post!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics