Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is it safe to reuse a bottle?

shirtsandskirts

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 6:14 am
Where can I find info from a reliable source about whether it's safe to reuse formula and breast milk bottles (baby drank a drop and didn't want more- does it have to be discarded?)

kb

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 6:16 am
Am I a reliable source? My son is 14 months, I reuse his bottles of formula all the time. Don't know about breast milk though.

tsiggelle

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 6:42 am
do you mean to ask, saving what your baby doesnt drink in the bottle and keep it in the fridge for later?

miami85

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 8:04 am
I do it all the time--am I a bad mother?

shirtsandskirts

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 8:35 am
tsiggelle- yes that's what I mean.

I guess other mothers are a reliable enough source Smile I am just wondering if there is any research out there about this (aside from what the formula companies say).

Is it ok for both breastmilk and formula?

Thanks

bnm

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 12:00 pm
officially it isn't ok but if the baby barely drank 1/4 of an ounce I do it anyway.... his formula is so expensive

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 2:41 pm
A fresh bottle should be made up for each feeding. I would offer the same bottle within the same feeding time frame (ie 3-4 hours, never more especially when outdoors in warm weather)

Bacteria can enter the bottle and make the baby sick. Its easy to say it probably won't happen, but all it takes is just one time (like not wearing seat belts)

Practically if a baby does this often I would suggest to prepare a smaller amount. If the baby wants more prepare another. As for breast milk which can be very precious-pour some into a clean empty bottle and keep pouring into that bottle as the baby wants more.

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 2:42 pm
Nurses do say not to offer it after an hour..

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 4:51 pm
If it's formula I might be quicker to toss it, even though it's expensive one little bottle isn't that much and money can buy more. But my breastmilk is quite a commodity that I work very hard to get out so my baby can have it when I'm not there, so I'd keep it for a bit. Not for the next day, but let's assume that if you offered it to the baby it's because they were supposed to be hungry, if they weren't ready just yet then hopefully they'll be ready in a half hour or so, no? So anyway if I'm at work for 5 hours and the feeding is supposed to be in middle of that somewhere, and the baby drinks a sip and then doesn't continue, I'd advise the sitter to just put it back in the fridge and continue using it for whatever additional feeding is needed that afternoon, NOT an excuse to dig into my tiny emergency freezer stash!

It's not like I don't care about germs and my baby. I just think the likelihood of getting sick from a bottle that she drank from a few hours ago is remote enough. And yes, maybe I'm a little TOO overprotective of my milk Wink (you should see how I fall apart if a bag leaks or spills or anything! Brings total new hormonal mother bear meaning to "don't cry over spilled milk!")

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 5:19 pm
I'll do it within a couple of hours. Longer than that gives time for the bacteria from her mouth to multiply to dangerous levels on the nipple or in the milk.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 5:23 pm
http://kellymom.com/bf/pumping.....milk/

That's a reliable source
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics