Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Favorite book to read to your kids

ABC

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 1:50 am
What's your all-time favorite book to read to your kids? You know, the book that when they bring it to you and say ima can you read me this book please, you sigh a sigh of relief that it's one you enjoy reading with them?

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 5:14 am
Their 3 best right now that I don't mind:

Owen
Chicka chicka boom boom
Madaline (don't have to read that one, I can just recite it, been popular here for years).

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 5:15 am
Oh and I like Labels for Leibel, but they aren't really fans anymore. Haven't read it in a while, maybe I need to get it out and try again.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 5:29 am
Is it shabbos yet
just like mommy

Anything short really. Smile But I like these stories and my kids love them.

supermom!

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 6:03 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
Oh and I like Labels for Leibel, but they aren't really fans anymore. Haven't reaHd it in a while, maybe I need to get it out and try again.

I can recite this book off by heart;)

supermom!

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 6:12 am
The kissing hand.

It really communicates the idea of warmth to very young children. It makes them feel it.

In the book the mother puts a kiss in the childs hand before he goes away to school and tells him if he ever feels lonely he can use the kiss and it will fill him with live from mommy and remind him that she is thinking about him.

I droped my 3 year old off one day when he was feeling a little shy about going to school and I put a kiss in his hand like the book. He put on a brave little face and shyly walked into school. Just before he walked into class I saw from a distance that he stopped, closed his eyes and put his palm on his cheek to give him self the kiss I gave him!

My heart melted<3

chani8

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 6:22 am
My tweens love for me to read to them in English:

Harry Potter was our favorite.

For the little kids:

Guess How Much I Love You
Goodnight Gorilla
Where the Wild Things Are
Roxaboxen (out of print)
Wild Baby Goes to Sea (out of print)
Runaway Bunny
Dr Seuss:
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
A,B,Cs
Cat in the Hat

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 7:05 am
I'm sure there are others, but Hats For Sale. We don't have it anymore because it was read to death Smile .

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 10:00 am
supermom! wrote:
The kissing hand.

It really communicates the idea of warmth to very young children. It makes them feel it.

In the book the mother puts a kiss in the childs hand before he goes away to school and tells him if he ever feels lonely he can use the kiss and it will fill him with live from mommy and remind him that she is thinking about him.

I droped my 3 year old off one day when he was feeling a little shy about going to school and I put a kiss in his hand like the book. He put on a brave little face and shyly walked into school. Just before he walked into class I saw from a distance that he stopped, closed his eyes and put his palm on his cheek to give him self the kiss I gave him!

My heart melted<3

That's adorable!!

tizunabi

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 11:06 am
yo'ma wrote:
I'm sure there are others, but Hats For Sale. We don't have it anymore because it was read to death Smile .

This: Caps! Caps for sale!

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 11:17 am
tizunabi wrote:
yo'ma wrote:

This: Caps! Caps for sale!

Oops, caps for sale, not hats. I haven't read it in awhile.

etky

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 2:26 pm
My "baby" (now a tween) likes me to read her the old Wizard of Oz books that I read myself as a child. Our local library has most of the series.
They were written over 100 years ago and the language is archaic yet sophisticated and the illustrations very art nouveau. We get a kick out of the bizarre cast of characters and the fantastical plots but it's all very innocent and it's a bonding experience for us.
When the kids were younger they also loved Labels for Laibel and the other Label and Yossi books and Is It Shabbos Yet. And other books that were my own childhood favorites like Madeline, Curious George, the Edith and Mr. Bear, the Little Bear books, the Francis series and of course Tiki Tiki Tembo. I could go on forever....

amother

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 11:04 pm
Are You My Mother

Around The Shabbos Table

And another vote for Is It Shabbos Yet? I put them on this clip as an erev shabbos treat when they help...

de_goldy

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 11:18 pm
Jamberry

Possum Magic

Reuben Runs Away

Harold and the purple crayon

There's an alligator under my bed

UQT

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 11:53 pm
Recently took a book out of the library called "Where am I" Great for toddler, lots of pictures and adorable rhymes. Kids are in shul, school and familiar places. We both enjoy it!

yo'ma

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 3:01 pm
I remembered another one, which wasn't difficult because I read it to my ds 3 nights in a row. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

abby1776

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 5:12 pm
What age? - for the Toddler set there is a series of books - I go to shul, I go shopping, I go the Dr, I go to school, I go to a wedding, which have a religous bent and my kids love.

Other classics -
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
The Lonely Firefly
The very busy spider.

My oldest is 7 and he likes me to read to him the A to Z mystery series.

granolamom

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 5:43 pm
caps for sale
ferdinand
blueberries for sal
make way for ducklings
there's a nightmare in my closet
the little house

and for my older kids, anything by roald dahl or kate dicamillo. hands down my favorite authors for elementary school kids. good for reading aloud.

persephonefalls

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 6:24 pm
When Mama Comes Home Tonight
We're Going on a Bear Hunt
Rah Rah Radishes!
Flip Flap Fly
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics