Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
"My food doesn't contain allergens- I'm a CLEAN PERSON!

amother

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 2:06 pm
Because of extreme allergies, I only eat food that I made, even when going out, because unless someone is living with these allergies, cross contamination is inevitable.

I'm currently a guest at someone's house, who is fully aware of these allergies of mine, and then this hostess is insisting that I should eat something, because it "doesn't have anything I can't have in it", and when I said even if the ingredients themselves are ok, I'm worried about cross contamination, this host got so indignant and offended and upset, saying "There's absolutely nothing wrong with my food! I'm a CLEAN person! I don't contaminate my food with stuff!" and the more I try to explain that cross contamination has nothing to do with cleanliness, and just has to do with allergy sensitivities, the more my host gets offended.

How do you deal with situations like this?

anonymrs

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 2:11 pm
Usually when I'm in other people's houses, I just say, "no, thank you" when offered food. I don't offer explanations because then they start explaining and defending and I know that I'm just not going to eat. It sounds like you are staying there for a longer time so that wouldn't work. I don't have ideas for you but I can sympathize and understand what you're dealing with. People who don't live with allergies just don't get it.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 2:13 pm
anonymrs wrote:
Usually when I'm in other people's houses, I just say, "no, thank you" when offered food. I don't offer explanations because then they start explaining and defending and I know that I'm just not going to eat. It sounds like you are staying there for a longer time so that wouldn't work. I don't have ideas for you but I can sympathize and understand what you're dealing with. People who don't live with allergies just don't get it.
Yea, I'm staying here nearly a week. I also labeled certain things in the fridge, likely to get contaminated, as mine, and asked people to please not use them to I can make sure they stay uncontaminated, which probably offended her as well...

enneamom

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 2:21 pm
I thought the title was funny! LOL Honestly, in today's day and age, who thinks allergies have to do with cleanliness? Unless she thought you have a DUST or MOLD allergy? Idea
Rolling Laughter

Raisin

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 2:28 pm
some people are really careless about not washing in between using utensils eg using the same measuring jug for flour and then for rice. Or the same spoon to stir different pots. Maybe your host means she is very careful and does not do that?

ora_43

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 2:37 pm
The word "contaminate" means germs or dirt to most people. Even if they know you're not talking about that, they might be influenced by the negative connotations.

If it's not too late/in the future, I suggest putting the blame on some third party, preferably a doctor. "I'm sure you're careful, but my doctor said I can only eat things cooked in a dairy-free (/nut-free, gluten-free, whatever) kitchen. It's so annoying."

And if they keep bringing it up, like "I don't know why you can't have just a little of this," pretend they're being sympathetic, like, "I know! It looks so good! I wish I could have just a little, but my doctor wants me to be SO crazy careful right now."

And avoid the word "contaminate," even when inconvenient (I know it's faster to say than "trace amounts of ... could get in the food").
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics