Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Toilet training- dd holds it in while on the toilet

amother

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 6:08 pm
toilet training dd right now- she totally gets the whole thing but holds it in while on the toilet or potty. I've tried giving her a lot to drink and taking her a lot but she'll hold it in until she can't and then release just a tiny bit and continue holding it in. So she keeps doing this tiny drop thing and I'm taking her constantly since she's constantly on the verge of having to go.

How can I get her to go all that she has to while on the toilet? she knows what to do.

I've tried relaxing her, distracting her, reading books, etc but she wont let go more than teeny bit.

anyone have this?

btw its not my first and I've had this issue before but of course I can't remember what worked in the end!

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jun 27 2012, 6:44 pm
you can try cereal in the toilet. most ppl do this for boys only, for aiming, but girls think it's fun too.

put blue toilet cleaner in and tell her that if she pees enough the color might change. my kids still think that's funny...

sit her backwards on the toilet and put toys on top of the tank. she can play with menchies or cars on the surface. I think sometimes it's best if she distracts herself. if you're doing it she isn't going to forget why.

I don't know if you want to do this, haven't tried it myself. would you have her urinate in a cup like in the dr's office? she may be scared of the splash. let her see how much she urinated and then she can pour it in the toilet and flush.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 04 2012, 9:52 am
thanks for the suggestions...we've tried a lot... she asks to go but then still holds it in while on the toilet..she plays, reads books, eats, and it takes a while till she goes. She isn't afraid of the toilet or the splash, she's just nervous to let go. When she eventually can't hold it in anymore she lets out a little bit and then she's good to go cuz the rest she can hold in for another couple of hours! She has good bladder control b'h!!

Any other ideas on how to get her to let go and urinate all that she has to within a reasonable time of sitting on the toilet or potty?

tia

amother

Post Wed, Jul 04 2012, 10:57 pm
Maybe have her sit with a "special" diaper on the toilet to make, to get her used to the idea that she is supposed to feel most comfortable in this position. Once she is used to that, you can try the food coloring in the bowl type ideas.

precious

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 5:58 pm
have you had any success yet?
I've been having the same problem with my daughter, she holds it all in until I put on a diaper for her nap or to go outside. She keeps telling me that its hurting her and she wants a pullup.
I need some good ideas...

amother

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 4:37 pm
hi I know this is an old thread but just searching toilet training and my 3 year old dd is having same issue will hold in for hours and will wait till I put on diaper to go, she will sit on toilet for an hour at a time we read books watch dvds ,play, sing , she is not scared of sitting on toilet just too nervous to make on it any suggestions...

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sat, May 07 2022, 12:51 pm
me too!
going crazy

any ideas?????

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sat, May 07 2022, 6:43 pm
I just had this recently with my son. What worked was blowing bubbles which puts pressure on the bladder to release. Also putting them on underwear and letting them have a few accidents so they get uncomfortable and then want to do it in the toilet. Sitting for a while by the toilet and distracting them. Making a big deal when they do make in the toilet. Good luck everyone. It can be sooo frustrating.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sat, May 07 2022, 6:55 pm
maybe she just needs a little/more privacy?

amother
Linen

Post Sat, May 07 2022, 7:28 pm
I say "mommy knows, more is coming" . "You arent finished." "More more more". They eventually learn when they are finished. Toilet trained before pesach and he picked it up already BH

amother
Mintcream

Post Sat, May 07 2022, 7:35 pm
after trying to get my oldest dd to go for weeks we did a total diffrent approach. it worked so well that we did it now to dd3 who was having the same issues. intresting my boys all made in the toilet with a seat and no fear. my girls are more the scary cats. when my oldest daughter was being potty trained she would hold herself in every time we put her on the special toilet seat we bought her for the toilet together with a little stool. After trying all different tricks, including some listed above, we figured she was scared to climb up onto the toilet so we bought her a $15 potty but that too she was scared of it too and it had to be emptied yuck. I was ready to give up My husband was off for a holiday that weekend while my daughter was eating with us she started having an accident my husband screamed get the potty, through her (not literally)onto the the toilet she was caught by suprise and a drop went into the bowl before she stopped out of fear and we rewarded her made a big deal while she sat on the seat. later my husband did the same thing his reflex was quicker than mine this time my daughter was prepared to put up a fuss. but we were prepared to potty was closer buy and she managed to make more inside. the next time we rewarded even if she just dripped a little inside and at the end of the day she was no longer scared she went without accidents. she was a perfectionist type. now we dsame method for my dd now was potty trained we tried the relaxed method it didn't work, waited a few months for her to mature a bit. we saw she has so much awarness yet is scared to go. first few times she hid from us we shouldnt find her having an accident but once she had success in the potty she was trained!. she goes to a playgroup and her morah was patient we took the potty to playgroup. now on monday will be the first day to use morahs seat

BrisketBoss

Post Sat, May 07 2022, 7:45 pm
Someone already referenced this a bit--there is a program that people use for poop training that could work here too. It involves a series of steps. Putting the child on the toilet fully clothed, then in just a diaper, etc.

Overall, you're missing a lot when you think your child is 'ready' only because they have bowel and bladder control and know the steps of what to do intellectually. Emotional readiness is huge in toilet learning. It's a big change to switch from going in a diaper, and young children can actually feel ownership over these bodily products. An emotional attachment to them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training