Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Suggestions for Book Club

MrsDuby

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 1:15 pm
My Shul has a Book Club but they often do very dreary books. Ya know - the "war torn Europe" type.

The moderator asked me for some more suggestions to help diversify the reading.

any suggestions ?

Thanks !!!!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 1:19 pm
Can you give specific examples? Does this have to be limited to the heimishe stuff? You could have everything from Drop Dead Healthy (or another AJ Jacobs book, The Year of Living Biblically) to Rabbi Lau's memoirs to Lift Me Higher. Maybe narrowing it down will help.

MrsDuby

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 1:24 pm
well the shul is Orthadox --- but I know they read Tuesdays With Morrie, 5 People You meet In Heaven...
they also read People of the Book ... so I know they wouldnt mind reading more secular stories that has Jewish (or spiritual?) themes.

does that help answer your question ?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 1:34 pm
MrsDuby wrote:
well the shul is Orthadox --- but I know they read Tuesdays With Morrie, 5 People You meet In Heaven...
they also read People of the Book ... so I know they wouldnt mind reading more secular stories that has Jewish (or spiritual?) themes.

does that help answer your question ?

Absolutely. Speaking of Mitch Albom, Have a Little Faith was sweet, but bittersweet. No offense to a nice guy though, but I'll try to think of Jewish-themed books by Jews who aren't intermarried, unless there's what that's worth discussing. Then again, Have a Little Faith may takeh fit the bill.
OK, thinking cap's on but I gotta go now.

MrsDuby

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 1:41 pm
oh wow - thank you so much !!!!

I told the woman in charge that I would love to join im just not interesteed in reading those depressing kinds of stories. So she told me shes open for plenty of suggestions....

I really appreciate it !!!!

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 2:40 am
Some my book club has done that I have enjoyed (some are serious)

Water for Elephants
The Help
The Island
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (this is WWII, but from the perspective of one of the British Isles that was occupied by Nazi Germany, not specifically "Jewish" themed or depressing. I found it very interesting).
Ella Minnow Pea
The Dovekeepers (a lot of people loved this, I didn't care for it at all, but it does have a Jewish theme and I would call it serious, although not WWII).

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 7:36 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
Some my book club has done that I have enjoyed (some are serious)

Water for Elephants
The Help
The Island
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (this is WWII, but from the perspective of one of the British Isles that was occupied by Nazi Germany, not specifically "Jewish" themed or depressing. I found it very interesting).
Ella Minnow Pea
The Dovekeepers (a lot of people loved this, I didn't care for it at all, but it does have a Jewish theme and I would call it serious, although not WWII).

The only book I've read is The Guernsey etc. one. I LOVED it and it would probably qualify for this book club's standards.

MrsDuby

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 10:13 am
thank you both so much !!!

I will pass these suggestions along....

once again I really appreciate you taking the time to come up with ideas for me.

happy reading ! Smile

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 6:48 am
Another one: 1.000 Mitzvahs by Linda Cohen.

bluesclues

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 7:56 am
sarahs key was amazing

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 8:40 am
bluesclues wrote:
sarahs key was amazing

We read that one too, and I enjoyed it but the OP was specifically looking to get away from holocaust type literature.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room