Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
How long does it take for a rash to go away?

CherryBerry

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 4:47 pm
My dd has an allergic rash that I dont know what its from. She's had it for 1 month. After giving benadryl the rash looks less red. But her arms and legs are still all flakey and bumpy. And it still itches her.
Is this the normal aftermath of an allergic rash? Does it take a while to clear up?
I have been in touch with my ped but b/c we dont know what its from I dont know if she is being reexposed.
I have an appt with an allergist but I have been told that its likely we will not figure it out ......
Not sure what to think.

bigprincess

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 4:54 pm
It is probably still red because she is still exposed to what she is allergic too.

CherryBerry

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 5:16 pm
But if she was no longer exposed to it how long would it take to go away?
I suspect a couple of things that she is no longer exposed to. Just wondering if it could still be from any of them.
Also would a food allergy typically be where exactly?
This rash is on her arms and legs. Does that mean non food but environmental? A plant chemical etc. or could it still be a food?

bigprincess

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 5:38 pm
My son had rashes until I stopped eating dairy (while nursing) the rashes disappeared within 24hours. It could be environmental too. My brother had allergies until my mother removed the carpets from our house.

Mommastuff

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 10:49 pm
CherryBerry wrote:
But if she was no longer exposed to it how long would it take to go away?
I suspect a couple of things that she is no longer exposed to. Just wondering if it could still be from any of them.
Also would a food allergy typically be where exactly?
This rash is on her arms and legs. Does that mean non food but environmental? A plant chemical etc. or could it still be a food?

is she using a new sunblock or lotion on her arms and legs?
are you using a new clothes detergent?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 6:59 am
Or she could be allergic to several things.

allrgymama

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 7:44 am
When you say that you've been in touch with your pediatrician, does that mean s/he has seen it, or that you called up about it?

Because from your description, it does sound like it could be eczema and there are many people with allergies who always have varying amounts of eczema -- regardless of whether they're exposed or not.

DD #1 had crazy eczema the first summer after her diagnoses (she was diagnosed in April and it began at the end of July). No matter how much cream I put it on it or how careful I was with the foods she eat, you could see that it got worse from half hour to half hour.

I finally learned (after making myself sick from this) that many people have weather related eczema. And though DD #1 hasn't had bad eczema like that since, she always breaks out when there is a sudden and extreme change in weather.

(I'm also assuming that you didn't see your pediatrician because it doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't have prescribed you a hydrocortisone cream for it.)

cuties' mom

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 9:55 am
What creams did you try putting on so far? How old is she?
My kids' eczema never goes away by itself. I always have to treat it aggressively and the younger they are, the more aggressive I have to be which is why I'm asking. If your dd is a baby, I would recommend bathing her every night using a safe soap, slathering her with aquaphor after the bath and putting her to sleep in wet cotton pajamas. For an older kid, try putting hydrocortisone on affected area until it goes away or get a perscription cream from your doctor.

CherryBerry

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 7:21 pm
So the allergist tested for only a couple of foods and she isnt allergic to them as I expected. He wasnt so helpful. By the time I got to him, after giving banadryl her rash looked like eczema and no longer like hives as it did in the beginning. I moisturized and the rash was almost gone this morning. Then we went outside for a half hour and bam the rash came back. Could it be from heat? Grass? Sand? She didnt touch anything else.

cuties' mom

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 8:43 pm
I get that whenever I go out in the summer. I never found out what was causing it since it only happens to me, not the kids, but it feels better after a shower and some cream.

CherryBerry

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 9:04 pm
Thats interesting. Cream as in moisturizer? Maybe its related to the heat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics