Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Healthy "Ice Cream"

AZmom09

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 11:39 am
I just made this for my kids (any myself) today. They were so excited to have ice cream and had no idea how healthy it is!
1 banana cut up and frozen
splash of milk or water

This is very versatile. I put the banana chunks into the food processor and blended it. I added 1-2 TB of cocoa powder and a splash of water since it was very very thick.
Thats it!
I personally don't like the banana flavor so I will try myself to add other things to make it taste different, but ive done before peanut butter and chocolate, thats really good.
also add a handful of frozen blueberries.
Anything you'd like!
It was easy to do and tastes so good.

oh and whats great about it, is if I see the banana's I bought are getting too ripe I just cut them up and throw them int he freezer in baggies. Or you can freeze a while banana (unpeeled is easier) and cut it before blending.

rikki!

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 1:55 pm
Yumm! You might also wanna add some milk and/or vanilla extract.
Thanks for sharing

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 1:59 pm
There's a product called Yonana which basically does the same thing, and it has great reviews. It supposedly grinds the bananas even smoother than a blender can. I tried it at someone's house, but she froze partially-green bananas, and you're supposed to freeze bananas with brown spots, so it was okay. I imagine it would've been better done the correct way, as the instructions keep reiterating this point!

freidasima

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 2:03 pm
This is so brilliant. I can't thank you enough. I can't eat ice cream, anything with added sugar or dairy, anything processed, I don't eat preservatives or whatever and boy do I miss ice cream in the summer. This is so great, Bananas! Why didn't I think of it...

SS6099

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 2:13 pm
Would this work with any other fruit if I don't like bananas? Such as strawberries?

MrsDash

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 2:18 pm
This sounds delicious! I am definitely giving it a try. Thanks!

yamz

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 2:19 pm
I don't think so. You would get a lovely ice-cold puree, but it would be more akin to sorbet. Bananas are a lot less watery than other fruits, which is why you get a "creamy" consistency when you puree them.

crl

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 2:23 pm
This sounds amazing! However, is there any way to truly cover the "banana" taste? I hate banana, but I use it sometimes in smoothies to add texture, but I somehow always taste it.

hadasa

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 2:37 pm
I do this often on Pesach, with other fruits added, like mango and pineapple.

SS6099

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 2:44 pm
I'm gonna try this idea with frozen strawberries and mango tonight and report back on results. Can't wait Smile

AZmom09

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 2:54 pm
Ive heard of the yonana too, but I dont want to buy something specific for this, I like that I can just use my food processor for it.
I was also thinking about if I can do it with other fruit, but I think it will come out more like sorbet.
To not have the banana flavor you could use less ripe banana's , you will still get the texture but might not be so sweet so add some stevia or something. I plan to try that out too.
And honestly by adding the cocoa powder and other things I really didnt taste so much banana flavor.
I'm also going to play around with the recipe and see for myself. but let me know what you all do!

Simple1

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 3:03 pm
ds6099 wrote:
Would this work with any other fruit if I don't like bananas? Such as strawberries?

I once saw a recipe where you blend a bag of strawberries with a can of frozen apple juice concentrate (as a sweetener). But this is really ices, not ice cream. The recipe did say you can add a banana for a little extra creaminess.

Thanks OP. that's a great healthy idea.

SS6099

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 3:08 pm
You're right- looks like my version will be more like a sorbet, but that's ok too. OP- you still gave me this great idea and I cant wait to try!

lst

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 4:21 pm
I make it a lot for my kids. I don't love it, even though I like bananas. I'll eat it mixed with enough frozen strawberries, berries, other fruit to cover the taste. I've added peanut butter and chocolate before also.

penguin

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 5:23 pm
As has been mentioned here just a couple of weeks ago Chocolate Avocado Mousse is quite tasty, though very very rich.

You can blend almost any frozen fruit. I used to do 1/4 pkg tofu, 1/2 c canned pineapple (probably even better frozen) & half a cup frozen strawberries. A bit of vanilla wouldn't hurt, and cinnamon & ginger could be added as well. Yes, it's more like sorbet or a smoothie, but it is good.

happy mom1

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 7:12 pm
penguin wrote:
As has been mentioned here just a couple of weeks ago Chocolate Avocado Mousse is quite tasty, though very very rich.

You can blend almost any frozen fruit. I used to do 1/4 pkg tofu, 1/2 c canned pineapple (probably even better frozen) & half a cup frozen strawberries. A bit of vanilla wouldn't hurt, and cinnamon & ginger could be added as well. Yes, it's more like sorbet or a smoothie, but it is good.

Dark chocolate cocoa powder- is that like the cocoa mixes for hot chocolate?

yamz

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 10:10 pm
Nope, it's the unsweetened cocoa powder you use in baking.

grin

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 11:53 pm
my frozen bananas came out too hard- what I can add to keep it low fat but make it creamier?

ice coffee

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 3:49 am
I make ice cream shake with:
1 vanilla yogurt per kid (you could also use plain and add something to sweeten it)
lots of frozen strawberries, peaches, mango...
milk (I start with filling it halfway up the fruit and add as needed.)
I blend until it is totally blended and very thick. Add more fruit if needed.
It's delicious!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking